2001 rm250, could use some advice.

hi i'm new here, recently picked up a 2001 rm250 the guy i bought it from said it has somewhere along the lines of 20 hours or less on the top end but i want to be sure.

i went to take the exhaust off this morning so i could check the rings/sides but the exhaust wont budge,

i took the springs/2 screws holding it up off, and i took the silencer off.

any info on why it wont come out?

I don't have a photobucket is there any other way to put of pics if you guys need them?

nevermind i got it off, also the piston/rings look great i was pleasantly surprised.

guess you can trust some sellers word after all.

FYI: The '01 and '02 RM250's were very good bikes but they do like to eat pistons. And when they do it'll cost you a cylinder plating job as well. If you have the time install a new piston "just to be sure".

And check out what Eric Gorr has to say about that year: http://www.eric-gorr.com/pdfs/modeltuningtipsSuzuki.pdf

hey, thanks for the good read.

i knew about some of that stuff, like the clutch baskets being weak and the intake port design,

the bike has,a Vortex clutch basket,Hinson pressure plates, and a Wiseco pro-lite piston.

also the intake and exhaust ports were ported by Preformance Engineering, so i guess most of the problem areas on the bike are covered?..

i snapped 2 pics of the cylinder/piston/rings while i had the exhaust off.. i guess ill make a photobucket and put them up.

downsize-63.jpg

0501111933.jpg

downsize-53.jpg

There are some pictures, and one of my bike.. looks like the cylinder does have some vertical markings is that bad?.. (im new to big bikes.. and 2 strokes.. :thumbsup: )

the rings look really good

but those markings.. pff

looks like the bike ate some sand.

you'll probably won't have any problems, but to be sure... new top end

FYI: The '01 and '02 RM250's were very good bikes but they do like to eat pistons. And when they do it'll cost you a cylinder plating job as well. If you have the time install a new piston "just to be sure".

And check out what Eric Gorr has to say about that year: http://www.eric-gorr.com/pdfs/modeltuningtipsSuzuki.pdf

ow my..

this guy knows what he's talking about :thumbsup:

thought i'd check my bike. the 91

faults: loose primary gear bolt

mine has come of 2 f*cking times!

won't come of anymore thanks to loctite

What year cylinders will fit the 01'? Will a 04?

What year cylinders will fit the 01'? Will a 04?

01 is the only year that will fit an 01 from my understanding. Maybe a 00 but I don't think so. They changed stuff on them like the 00 and 01 are the only ones to have the electronic PV solenoid that connects to the top of the cylinder, 02 an up don't have it. Cross reference part numbers on this at the TT store and you can see if any match.

I am not sure why the pipe off a 02 and up won't fit either but they don't. It may be the exhaust port angle but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for that.

I've been noticing a lot of sleeves for these bikes on eBay, are they not nikasil plated or do guys convert to steel sleeves?

the rings look really good

but those markings.. pff

looks like the bike ate some sand.

end

by markings i assume you mean the vertical marks on the cylinder?

and i live in florida, so it probably has.

few Q's if everyone doesn't mind;

-does the bike look like its fork rake was adjusted? (i ride woods so i guess it shouldn't matter much if they are, but would they preform the same if i was on the track?)

-its setup to run on 91 octane (premium/32:1) is there anything bad about that? (pump gas)

-do most people normally run oem or wiseco piston/rings in these?

thanks for all the help.

The rake looks strange. Looks like the stock bottom clamp, but I cant realy make out the top clamp from the photo. Has 1-1/8 bars so someone changed the bar clamps or the top triple tree. I also see that the front number plate is zip tied on, but why? I can't see why someone would rake it out. It look strange from the photo.

Need to get one of us with an 01 to measure the center front axle to the center rear axle and compare that with yours.

Mite also look for any paint flaking off the weld under the tank and on the stearing neck. Hell it mite just be the angle of the photo.

Put a top end in that before you ride it, that's the first thing to do with a used two stroke.

bike measures 60" inches from the front center axle to the rear center.

The clamps are performance engineering clamps.. i just found them on there site..it has pro taper fat bars.

http://www.peracing.com/pe0901web.html

im not sure why the front # plate is zip tied on, but as long as it stays on i could care less.

some better pics that show clamps/rake of bike.

downsize-74.jpg

downsize-73.jpg

I only mentioned the rake because i wanted to know if it was okay to hit up a track and do some jumps, what do you guys think go or no go?

bike measures 60" inches from the front center axle to the rear center.

The clamps are performance engineering clamps.. i just found them on there site..it has pro taper fat bars.

http://www.peracing.com/pe0901web.html

im not sure why the front # plate is zip tied on, but as long as it stays on i could care less.

some better pics that show clamps/rake of bike.

downsize-74.jpg

downsize-73.jpg

I only mentioned the rake because i wanted to know if it was okay to hit up a track and do some jumps, what do you guys think go or no go?

The bottom clamp is stock so it's going to handle like a stock bike (stock rake & trail). It's likely that the stock top clamp was replaced so that the previous owner could switch to fat bars.

Hit any track that you'd like to, it's safe.

Thanks for that.

I've been noticing a lot of sleeves for these bikes on eBay, are they not nikasil plated or do guys convert to steel sleeves?

You can have a steel liner plated, however most owners do not bother with plating a steel liner they just drop in a new piston and go.

The preferred way is to replate the cylinder and then just use stock size pistons. It costs a little bit more than a steel liner, but it will out last a steel liner by far.

thank you very much!.. love this site quick answers which means more riding :thumbsup: .

I would run the a 'sleeved cylinder' they run hotter, ports don't match, don't lubricate as well and it is a PAIN to find pistons and you have to bore it...

I like those graphics, I check with Cernics and they don't make any RM250/125 graphics kits any longer. :thumbsup:

I would have the cylinder re-plated it is cheaper and then you can run OEM pistons or whatever brand you want to.

Plus the re-sale of the bike is better with a plated cylinder, when people here it is 'sleeved' they know it ate dirt or lack of maintenance or both...

Nice looking bike tho, Cernics used to have a big race team I don't know if they do any more???

Plating is the way to go but if ports don't match on a sleeved cylinder then the installer did a poor job.

I wish that graphics kit & seat cover were still available from Cernics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!