Sign in to follow this  

Tire selection - MT21 vs MT16

I need some new rubber.. I am deciding... I commute to work, 60mi rd trip, but I like dirt on the weekend.

It looks like

Pirelli MXH front 90/100-21

looks the same as the MT16, but wider.. should be better on the hardpack this summer?

Pirelli MT16 rear 120

or MT21 rear 140

or Cheng Shin 5.60 C760 5.60 rear tire

OR cheapo Shinko dual sport rear tires

OR???

I've had D606s, but they are just eh. nothing spectacular. I like pirellis a lot, but with the 650 getting so much road use, I dont know if the MT16 is the ticket. been searching the archive, but not too many comparisons on the 21 vs 16

thanks

I didn't think the MT16 was DOT??

I just put a new Michelin AC10 on my rear after running a MT21 and I'm really loving it, HEAPS more traction in the dirt. However, if your doing that many road miles, 60m x 5 days = 300m a week, 1200 a month, an MT21 or D606 would probably be a better bet and last longer.

If you went for a more aggressive road knobby, it would probably be gone within a month or so of road riding. You will also have to way up what's more important as your safety on the road can be a risk. That risk is multiplied by your exposure to hazards and given you will be looking at 1200 m/per month, I don't think it's worth the risk with anything less than a MT21 or D606. You may even want something more SM.

Sorry, but in my opinion the MT21 or D606 would be a safer option in your circumstances, unless you can get a 2nd wheel and set that up with your off road tire.

Between the 2, I don't know. Like I said I just got rid of an MT21 and it biased slightly more to the road riding than I would have preferrred in my terrain.

Hope it helps:thumbsup:

i've had the mt21 and the 606's . for me the 21 would never hook up off road, if you wanted to roost every one behind you its perfect. got about 1300 miles out of it. loved the 606's , nothing bad to say, got about 1700 miles. currently running kenda k270s good tire for the money, think this is the third set, get over 3500 miles. bike has over 22000 miles.

I wanted to try the 606 last time but I told the guy at the bike shop that I wanted something more aggresive than the MT21 and was curious about the 606. He said the 21 & 606 were similar so advised something else so I went with the AC10.

I'm not a fan of the MT21 for the amount of off road I was doing. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to him and tried the 606 anyway.

I just bought a Teraflex 140/80 tire. Its more or less a knobby tire but it is DOT approved. I haven't installed yet but I can't wait to try it out.

I love my 606. I ride mostly to work and back and it's lasted me a long time and it does a good job off the road as well. No complaints

A terraflex might work out. It's a tough thing to have good dirt and decent street life. I wonder if a MT43 would be a possibility. You would have to air it up to 22 or maybe 25psi for road use, but then you can drop to 10 or 11 for off road.

At one time I was considering a second set of wheels for street and dirt, but they are kind of pricey. I ended up getting a street bike for less than the cost of a set of wheels.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By photonicreno
      Hi all!

I've got an issue, one of many when it comes to bikes. I searched throughout all the pages I could find pertaining to my situation and couldn't find very much useful information.
      So the issue is, the bike has no electric start.... until it's hot enough to melt steel that is. It will bump start first time every time. But I can sit and crank the starter over for ever and it'll never start until the charger is bumped up past 200 amps. Not good.

The story so far,
      Got the bike for 1k cash. Guy said it has no spark and no second gear. This particular guy also only ever rode newer crotch rockets. Brought it home pulled the choke, attached battery charger and she fired right up. Ran like absolute crap, but oh well I figure it's an older bike with only 10k miles so it probably needs a good carb cleaning. Took the carb apart and didn't know I messed something up until way later(didn't tighten down main jet). Oh well she runs well enough if I can get her started. Moved from California to Oklahoma. Eventually found the money to fix 2nd gear, and as I am a certified Honda small engine technician apprentice I figured it would be no big deal. Completely tore down engine to it's roots replaced 2nd, and 5th gear(because 5th gear connects to 2nd on the countershaft) dogs were worn pretty badly on both. The engine looked quite good compared to most others I've seen. Put the engine back together as per the service manual. Did all the right steps including loosening the banjo bolts to test for proper oil pressure. I even tore apart the electric starter to clean the contacts and the brushes and replace the dielectric grease. Adjusted the valves as per the service manual, replaced all gaskets, o-rings, seals, and oil filter.
       Finally after about a month of waiting on parts and reassembly I get to start her, only she doesn't. Electric start is still giving me the same issues I've always had. So I replaced the Ignition coil, CDI box, and put a new battery in, plus the starter motor rebuild. Nothing. Still cranks forever. I said what the heck and tried to push it slightly down hill and bump start it, and voila... fired right up! Once she gets hot enough and the stator charges the battery enough it'll electric start... sometimes.
       So I looked towards ignition, used a tool called ignition mate. Pretty awesome tool if you can afford it. Well while cranking the ignition mate reads the spark plug is getting 1-4kw of "spark" every cycle, well it only fires after getting up past 5kw sometimes 6-8kw. And sometimes the ignition would be intermittent as in it wouldn't give any spark at all. I cycle the ignition and it seems to soft reset the bike as it will usually give it back spark. I tested this with the new and old CDI box, the old one would never spark. Ever. So I threw it in the trash. A month later I stil l can't figure it out.
       Is there something I'm missing?

TL;DR
      Bike won't start using electric start only bump start before and after engine rebuild
      Electric start works after pushing the starter past about 200 cold cranking amps or when hot.

• By TheLastByte
      Contemplating picking up a BRP in the near future and looking for some perspective.The current owner claims that the bike has about six hundred hours on it, but there's no way for me to confirm as the odo's not accurate.

I know brp's have a reputation for running forever on stock top ends, but they must eventually have an expiration date. What should I look for on a high mileage bike like this to make sure I'm not setting myself up for disappointment? Also, What are some non engine/transmission related issues I should look for?
    • By TanSnowman51
      Guys, 
      Have been riding my 650L for over a year and a half and have been loving every second! In August I moved back to Reno after finishing up my masters at Arizona State. I have been spending most of my time riding around verdi to stampede and the Dog Valley road area. Always looking for riding buddies. 
      Was curious what everyone was doing as far as Daves mods or jet kit for the upper elevations 4,000 to 8,000 feet?
      FMF Q4 exhaust, smog delete done so far!

Thanks!
    • By Alexandre Askmo
      Hey dear folk!

I need your help.

A bit of background info, I’m a complete noob when it comes to holding a wrench and doing anything more than filling up the bike. I have however had an interest for as long as I’ve had a bike to make it mine, and that’s why I’m writing to you now. I just bought a donor bike, a Honda NX650 which a friend of mine is helping me fix up and then modify to my liking (I’m hoping to end up with a gorgeous scrambler in about 9 months).

We found a hairline scratch in the cylinder and need to bore it. This leads me to my question.

Should I get a 1st overbore performance piston or keep the compression ratio as is? If so is there anything in particular I will need to modify to tolerate the high compression piston?

If I do get the performance piston, should I also get a new carburetor, hot cam, and new exhausts? I am planning on new exhausts anyway (2-1 from an XRL) and I’m planning on removing the airbox and getting a K/N pod air filter.

Again, keep in mind I know nothing, my friend has however fixed up a bunch of XRLs and cars but never really used performance parts. Help me out with the decision please, I would also like to keep the whole build to a reasonable cost (I know this is a very relative number).

I should also add that I want to keep the DNA of the bike, for example keeping the fuel tank instead of switching to a smaller rounder one as one usually sees in most custom builds. The aim of the whole build is to have an insanely fun bike to ride, both in the city and off-road, as well as giving it a bunch of my personality 😊

Thanks a lot for any help!

Best,

Alex
    • By MrCitizen
      I've been rebuilding/restoring an XR650R for some years now (after toasting the motor in 2013). Sent the motor off to be rebuilt, had a local shop rebuild my forks and shock, and took care of most everything else myself.
      As of a couple months ago I had almost everything assembled and ready to run.

As a final check before adding fluids to the bike, I decided to stick my boroscope into cylinder and take a look. The results were concerning.

These boroscope pics looked so gnarly that I pulled the head off the motor to get a more thorough look.

To say that I'm concerned is an understatement. I have pics of the motor internals pre-rebuild, and can confirm that this is definitely a new piston and replated cylinder. I also have all the old parts from the motor, so it does have a new cam, connecting rod, valves, and basically everything else I expected to have replaced.
      The builder "ran the motor briefly to confirm everything ran alright" and then shipped it back to me. I reached out to him with these pics and he said,
      The piston looks like this because he had it machined from 12:1 to 11:1 compression. The streaks on the cylinder wall are normal for one that isn't broken in yet. Regarding the valve impacts in the piston head: "My concern is that something may have passed through the cylinder. How does it run?" I've never run this motor. I can feel these streaks in the cylinder wall with my fingernail. Did he re-use a piston from some other motor?
      Is this dude jerking my chain or is this motor fine to run?
      He's a fairly well-known builder in the XR community and was recommended to me by guys in the (now-gone) XR650R forum.