Sign in to follow this  

just got a burnt drz400s cheep so

hell i scored today on a burnt drz400s that not in too bad of shape but i didnt get a title so im wondering, the guy i got it from said they tryed to get a title and the dmv told him it was owned buy a company an thats all they would say dont know if i should get another frame an swap it out or what can anyone help with this or have a frame that got a title thanks:thumbsup:

You bought a fire damaged DRZ from a guy that told you someone else holds the title to the bike? Doesng that seem kinda odd to you?

You bought a fire damaged DRZ from a guy that told you someone else holds the title to the bike? Doesng that seem kinda odd to you?

It may have just been a wiring fire from when they hotwired it.:confused::thumbsup:

I wouldn't of bought without a title, but I would like to see pics of the damage. Btw how much dd you pay?

I am sure "the company' was a bank of finance company. I would return it to the seller and get you money back. Might not hurt to let the coppers know about it too.

Bike is either stolen or was financed and the owner could not/did not ant to pay, so it 'went away' and insurance paid it off or something similar.

The bike was in a garage that caught fire it was never reported stolen its a 2002 and I paid 275. So I was thinking about a salvae title or just putting the motor in a knight frame I have n dirt track it. I'm going to fire it up tomarrow I'm at work now. I need a freind in the title bizz. Lol

Even if the legal owner hasn't noticed it missing yet, it clearly didn't belong to the person you bought it from, and it certainly doesn't legally belong to you. Swapping the motor into another frame might help you not get caught, but it's shady if not criminal.

The bike was in a garage that caught fire it was never reported stolen its a 2002 and I paid 275. So I was thinking about a salvae title or just putting the motor in a knight frame I have n dirt track it. I'm going to fire it up tomarrow I'm at work now. I need a freind in the title bizz. Lol

What's a knight frame?

I'd take the motor out, drain it and tap a few small holes in the head and use it as a shaker to put cinnamon in my coffee.

Even if the legal owner hasn't noticed it missing yet, it clearly didn't belong to the person you bought it from, and it certainly doesn't legally belong to you. Swapping the motor into another frame might help you not get caught, but it's shady if not criminal.

Basically breaking the law.. Good luck :-/

Lol you guys are crazy the bike was left their buy the guy who owned it he told guy I got it from to clean it out an keep what ever he wanted sure it may have lean but the only because it was never sighned off by the owner or the bank. but I thank you for all the legal advise. A night frame is for flat track racing. I'm not trying to get away with anything either but if I can't get a title I will race witch is very common

If you are an honest guy and the guy you got it from are honest, you should have no problem contacting the police, giving them the VIN and asking them to let the lien holder know you have the bike. When the lien holder contacts you, you can request they sign the bike over to you. If you have proper legal ownership of the bike, this should not be a problem. You will not get a salvage title unless the lien holder signs it over. When a loan is payed off, the bank/finance company immediately releases the lien, even if they cannot find the owner.

• Like 1

If you are an honest guy and the guy you got it from are honest, you should have no problem contacting the police, giving them the VIN and asking them to let the lien holder know you have the bike. When the lien holder contacts you, you can request they sign the bike over to you. If you have proper legal ownership of the bike, this should not be a problem. You will not get a salvage title unless the lien holder signs it over. When a loan is payed off, the bank/finance company immediately releases the lien, even if they cannot find the owner.

+1

id hate for someone to "sell" my drz.

LOL, trust me the police department does not care one bit about this guy's stupid shenanigans, nor is it their job to contact anyone about anything until a crime has occured - which has not happened. Just because there is a lien on the title and the bike has changed hands does not mean a crime occured. It just means the lien holder has a superior interest in the bike than this clown.

Toe, I think some people are a little paranoid, just look for a frame w/a title, I see them come up often.

LOL, trust me the police department does not care one bit about this guy's stupid shenanigans, nor is it their job to contact anyone about anything until a crime has occured - which has not happened. Just because there is a lien on the title and the bike has changed hands does not mean a crime occured. It just means the lien holder has a superior interest in the bike than this clown.

I never said a crime did occur. AFAIK based on what has been said, the bike has a lien on it, it may even of been paid off and not removed. But the legal record (according to the OP/DMV) says it does. There is a right way and a wrong way to resolve this.

By contacting the police, they may let you know who is (or may contact for you) the lien holder. You can then contact them, let them know you have it and that you want clear title. If there is a balance due on the note, they may want to come and take the bike, it is their right. They may say forget it, we do not want the bike and we are not going to release the title. They may say, we do not want the bike, come get the clear title. They may blow you off entirely. Judicious notes need to be taken and then you need to contact the state police, explain the situation and see if they can help.

Otherwise, do not expect any sympathy if one day, someone comes knocking.

Six months or so ago, a TTer (a cop no less) bought a WR450, no title. It too, was a basket case but he 'got a great deal'. He should of known better. He invested a lot of money in the bike and completely fixed it up. The finance company came looking for the bike. He did almost everything he should of. In the end, he lost the bike.

I never said a crime did occur. AFAIK based on what has been said, the bike has a lien on it, it may even of been paid off and not removed. But the legal record (according to the OP/DMV) says it does. There is a right way and a wrong way to resolve this.

By contacting the police, they may let you know who is (or may contact for you) the lien holder. You can then contact them, let them know you have it and that you want clear title. If there is a balance due on the note, they may want to come and take the bike, it is their right. They may say forget it, we do not want the bike and we are not going to release the title. They may say, we do not want the bike, come get the clear title. They may blow you off entirely. Judicious notes need to be taken and then you need to contact the state police, explain the situation and see if they can help.

Otherwise, do not expect any sympathy if one day, someone comes knocking.

Six months or so ago, a TTer (a cop no less) bought a WR450, no title. It too, was a basket case but he 'got a great deal'. He should of known better. He invested a lot of money in the bike and completely fixed it up. The finance company came looking for the bike. He did almost everything he should of. In the end, he lost the bike.

Last year I purchased a 2003 DRZ E from a guy with no title. I called the state police and had them run the bikes number through. It was not stolen and they did not care . I purchased it and have had no problems. Up until 2000 I had never even had a title for any dirt bikes I had owned. Many I purchased new some used. I too would get the registered owners name and contact him before I put any money in it because it is an S model. If he does not want to help get you the title then strip it or sell the parts.