Ridding on the balls of your feet

The last two times at my local practice I caught the tip of my foot in deep rut. I realized that I should be ridding on the balls of feet. How do you practice this so it is automatic? Both times I was standing going in to the fast sweeper.

When you go into a corner, you should practice weighting the outside peg with your foot. Its much easier to use the ball of your foot to do this weighting. If you just go over that drill, over and over again, you'll wind up drilling it in and eventually getting it to work for ya.

Obviously in a rut, your inside leg should be straight up and pointed forward, you shouldn't catch it in anything...

i just watched ryan hughes dvd and it talks about using the balls of your feet in much detail.

The last two times at my local practice I caught the tip of my foot in deep rut. I realized that I should be ridding on the balls of feet. How do you practice this so it is automatic? Both times I was standing going in to the fast sweeper.

There are only 2 ways to place your feet on the footpegs, either on the balls of the feet or on the arches. The most common way is on the arches. Just check the bottoms of your boots. I’ll tell you right up front that being comfortable riding on the balls of the feet takes a lot of practice. But when a rider does become comfortable with this technique there are three benefits to it. # 1 you have more body travel, #2 you won’t hit the shifter or rear brake by accident and #3 you won’t get your feet ripped off the foot pegs from your toe hitting the dirt. As I said, for this technique to become natural its takes a lot of the correct type of practice. So don’t throw it out the window if you really want to learn the correct way.

It’s kind of like down hill skiing. It’s easier to keep your feet farther apart when you are a beginner but the pros keep their skis closer together. One place the pros are always on the balls of their feet is through the whoops. If it can be done through the whoops it can be done anywhere on the track.

The only acceptation is if you're going to land hard from a jump or even case a jump. In this case you would want to be on the arches of your feet so you don't sprain your ankles. Just make sure you have your toes pointed out a little so you don't hit the shifter or rear brake by accident. It all comes with knowing the correct techniques and a lot of quality practice time. My 2 Day MX School DVD covers this and much more. Order online and/or see a free preview at; http://wp.gsmxs.com/2-day-motocross-dvd/

I just got my first dirt bike and this has been one of the hardest things to convince myself to do

Go ride a bicycle, you'll get used to it. I've ridden bikes my whole life, just got into dirt bikes. I have a problem convincing myself to get back on my arches to land.

I have learned to stay on the balls of my feet because of a bad injury that taught me this lesson.

Last year was my first time on a dirt bike in 10yr, and also my first time on a MX track that has some intimidating jumps. At this time my arch of my foot was on the pegs, and I have size 12 feet which comes close to hitting the rear brake if not paying attention. I was coming up to a double, as I launched off the face of it, my foot hit the rear brake which caused my front end to dive harshly. My left foot fell of the peg and the weight of the bike, and myself + gear came down on my foot causing it to break my big toe in 2 places. I managed to stay on the bike and ride it out and headed to the truck asap to asses the damage. All I have to say is my boots saved my foot from being crushed (NEVER ride with shoes).

After that incident, I only ride on the balls of my feet now. Doing so eliminated my foot from hitting the rear brake by accident, and I only when I want to. As well as from hitting the gear shift by accident. I was out of riding for over a month and I will never forget this harsh lesson.

I've gotten better at it the last few days now that I learned to not sit down and have better body position now It feels awkward when I ride on the arches.