Sign in to follow this  

Been trail riding for years, first time on track. Tips?

Hey guys! So I got an 05 YZ 250F and it's red sticker which means I can't ride the desert for a few months :thumbsup:. I've taken it out 4 times and I already feel at home on the bike on the trails. I decided since I got a 250 now it's time to ride the track. Any tips for riding tracks vs. trails?

make sure you have all the right gear. make sure you're hydrated. don't ride over your head.

Follow some one who has a good pace and match their speed over the jumps. You don't want to case any doubles your first time on the track.

Thanks brotha's. I will keep this in mind!

It is possible to go around the jump a few times right to look at it and whatnot?

you have to wear a neck brace but not a chest protector

make sure your bike is clean and that your graphics have monster energy on them

bring a nice R.V. and everyone will think you are pro

louder the exhaust, the BETTER

you will fit in with spy sun glasses and flat bill hats

maintenance isnt needed because you are only riding like an hour all day

dont take the tool box, because nobody there knows how to work on a bike any way

have your swag on... cuz moto-moms are everywhere and track sisters

just call everyone bro

dont worry about repacking your exhaust

make sure you find the rev limiter:smirk:

can you tell i am an enduro guy :thumbsup:

• Like 1

ALWAYS find the start and which way the track runs,always go slow on first lap,never stop on track,always keep your line when a faster rider comes up on you never pull over because they will find a way around you,use your ears not your eyes (don`t look behind you when you hear someone coming up on you)because you might not see something and wreck and the most important thing besides wearing all your gear is HAVE FUN!!!

I have dreams of running a 45 and older, rookie, sportsman, vintage, 1/2 moto someday :thumbsup:

I just got an old '91 KX250 last weekend. I have torn a good track around the house....6-7 minutes at a time :confused: I roost for a couple minutrs and rest for many.

I can't hold onto the thing?!

How long is a moto? Do they have 1/2 length races for us old guys?

Coo

you have to wear a neck brace but not a chest protector

make sure your bike is clean and that your graphics have monster energy on them

bring a nice R.V. and everyone will think you are pro

louder the exhaust, the BETTER

you will fit in with spy sun glasses and flat bill hats

maintenance isnt needed because you are only riding like an hour all day

dont take the tool box, because nobody there knows how to work on a bike any way

have your swag on... cuz moto-moms are everywhere and track sisters

just call everyone bro

dont worry about repacking your exhaust

make sure you find the rev limiter:smirk:

can you tell i am an enduro guy :thumbsup:

Not really that funny. Maybe a little...

I rode desert from age 13 to 35 before jumping on a track. I learned real quick that anyone can ride desert or single track, but track riding takes skill.

Everytime I've invited out friends who only rode desert or sand they got a wake up call.

Another thing. The deserts of southern california are loaded with bro's and metal mulisha wannabes. Many of them wear jeans and t shits while riding and their bikes are all taped and zipped together. I had to spend 20 minutes on my last buddies bike who came from desert to track. His chain was falling off, his plastics were missing screws, his tires were chunked out and missing knobbies and his spokes were loose.

Go out to the track and you'll find people who keep their bikes perfect because they can't risk them failing going off the face of a 100 foot jump.

The only people who shit talk track riders IMO are those afraid to leave the comfort safety of chasing turtles down fire roads. :confused:

Hey guys! So I got an 05 YZ 250F and it's red sticker which means I can't ride the desert for a few months :thumbsup:. I've taken it out 4 times and I already feel at home on the bike on the trails. I decided since I got a 250 now it's time to ride the track. Any tips for riding tracks vs. trails?

Where in Cal do you live?

I rode desert from age 13 to 35 before jumping on a track. I learned real quick that anyone can ride desert or single track, but track riding takes skill.

Everytime I've invited out friends who only rode desert or sand they got a wake up call.

Another thing. The deserts of southern california are loaded with bro's and metal mulisha wannabes. Many of them wear jeans and t shits while riding and their bikes are all taped and zipped together. I had to spend 20 minutes on my last buddies bike who came from desert to track. His chain was falling off, his plastics were missing screws, his tires were chunked out and missing knobbies and his spokes were loose.

Go out to the track and you'll find people who keep their bikes perfect because they can't risk them failing going off the face of a 100 foot jump.

The only people who shit talk track riders IMO are those afraid to leave the comfort safety of chasing turtles down fire roads. :thumbsup:

hey man, i was jokin around. tack riding takes skill and endurance. I find it way harder then my type of riding. I respect the guys that do it. I was just pointing out the "stereo-type" of a track rider.

just be smart when riding on a track.

The only people who shit talk track riders IMO are those afraid to leave the comfort safety of chasing turtles down fire roads. :thumbsup:

I went and played tinnis with some friends one time, let me tell ya moto isnt shiiiiiiii......lol:p:bonk:

Thanks for all the advice (and humor) guys! Wish me luck! I'll be riding I-5 mx on Fri!

ya gotta be carefull when joking on this forum lol some people refuse to see the humor and take themselves a little to seriously,on that note i have ridden with a few very good track riders that have fallen all over them selves out on the trails rocky trails, log crossings,creek riding,all the guys i ride with have very well taken care of bikes...i thought the track joke was pretty funny!!!

Ive rode pretty much all the terrain there is for a dirtbike including street, desert, track, trails AND fire roads chasing turtles and I gotta tell ya, the skills needed for roostin through the mountains trees/roots/ruts is just as high as it is to rip around a mx track, or desert guaranteed

It all comes down to how fast are you gonna go? Yeah anyone can cruise threw the desert/woods for hours at a time with very little skill, but can you keep up with Johnny Campbell for 250 Miles in baja? Could "ANYONE" keep up with David Knight for an entire AA enduro?

Im just trying to put it all into perspective for you with the big names.

The same thing applys to the track, anyone can cruise around the track and roll jumps/skip the whoops all day long but they obviously cant stuff bubba into a berm.:thumbsup:

To the OP I say go out there and roll around the track and stay to the outside, try not to hang out in the landing zone of the bigger jumps and get your jump speed by watching/pacing the other guys on the track, tabel tops are a good safe place to learn jump skills if you dont already have them, and most important have fun!:confused:

Ive rode pretty much all the terrain there is for a dirtbike including street, desert, track, trails AND fire roads chasing turtles and I gotta tell ya, the skills needed for roostin through the mountains trees/roots/ruts is just as high as it is to rip around a mx track, or desert guaranteed

With all due respect I disagree. You want to talk pro riders? Ok, put David Knight in the first outdoor motocross race this year at Hangtown and watch him come in last. Take Travis Pastrana and Jeremy McGrath to the toughest race on earth Erzburg and watch them both NOT come in last. :confused:

Johnny Campbell is arguably the greatest desert rider ever. Guess where he came from? That's right motocross! Nearly all the best desert and enduro racers got their skills racing motocross not the other way around...

Take any pro motocross racer and put him in a desert or enduro race and watch him kick ass. Take any pro desert/enduro racer that has no motocross history and watch him get lapped repeatedly....

My good friend who is an expert desert racer trains on the motocross tracks. See my point? :thumbsup:

instead of quoting names ive seen good MX guys fall flat on their faces on trails,im sure it goes the same way with trail riders on the track,i ve ridden both and i think it takes as much skill to ride offroad,once you get the rythem of a track down its not that tuff to get faster,off road changes all the time encountering obsticals at speed takes a diffrent skill set,talking smack on any style of riding requires no skills at all

Does Ricky Dietrick come from a mx background. I do know he did very well in the outdoors last year. He normally races off road.

Getting around a motocross track is easy. Getting around it faster than the next guy is the tough part. For the most part the same is true of the desert. I don't think that's the case for most woods though.

My first MX ride did not have 5 crashes and 10 stalls in the first 1/2 mile. My first woods ride did. On the other hand, I'm in good enough shape to do 50 miles of woods without breathing hard, but 4 mx laps will destroy me.

In my opinion, paying out the nose to ride a beat up track for 10 minutes when someone says it's my turn is not much fun.

Does Ricky Dietrick come from a mx background.

No, but he does train with Ryan Hughes on motocross tracks.

Edited by Sharp Shooter