Brake reservoir bulge easy fix

While attempting to repair my rear brake, I noticed I had "the bulge" (unfortunately, not the main problem with my rear brake, but thats for another post).

Anyway, I have messed with plastic such as on the reservoir before, so before I bought a new one, I thought I'd try the following for a quick fix, and it worked great:

1. remove the reservoir

2. boil some water

3. pour the water into the reservoir and let it sit for about 30 seconds

4. squeeze the reservoir back into shape (helps to wear thick gloves so you don't accidentally burn your fingers

5. once back to shape (or maybe even a little "past shape", bent back too far for good measure), dump out the hot water, and run cold water over the reservoir

6. Presto! Back to the original shape.

While attempting to repair my rear brake, I noticed I had "the bulge" (unfortunately, not the main problem with my rear brake, but thats for another post).

Anyway, I have messed with plastic such as on the reservoir before, so before I bought a new one, I thought I'd try the following for a quick fix, and it worked great:

1. remove the reservoir

2. boil some water

3. pour the water into the reservoir and let it sit for about 30 seconds

4. squeeze the reservoir back into shape (helps to wear thick gloves so you don't accidentally burn your fingers

5. once back to shape (or maybe even a little "past shape", bent back too far for good measure), dump out the hot water, and run cold water over the reservoir

6. Presto! Back to the original shape.

I've never seen the bulge. I'll have to check mine. You must be getting your rear brake pretty hot, huh?

Steve

No. The reservoir is down 2 inches of tube away from the master cylinder, which is down 2 feet of tube from the caliper. Your caliper would have to be on fire to heat even the master cylinder to luke warm, let alone the reservoir. It is just a common problem on DRZ's...maybe from not-well-formed plastic...

heat from nearby exhaust doesn't help either.