Clark Tank

I am installing a clark tank i bought used on my Drz 400 S. I put the pet cock on the clark tank and installed the tank on the bike. The pet cock seems to be much lower than the line for the carberator. should i be using a different fuel line or should i be removing the spacer in the petcock. There were no instructons and i can't find them on the clark website. The tank had tape over where the petcock attached and it was bare plastic underneath with the two brass inserts.

Thank you in advance for your help

I am installing a clark tank i bought used on my Drz 400 S. I put the pet cock on the clark tank and installed the tank on the bike. The pet cock seems to be much lower than the line for the carberator. should i be using a different fuel line or should i be removing the spacer in the petcock. There were no instructons and i can't find them on the clark website. The tank had tape over where the petcock attached and it was bare plastic underneath with the two brass inserts.

Thank you in advance for your help

Its been awhile but if i remember correctly i put on a new hose. Do not install without plate(spacers). I use a Pingel petcock now.

Mike :thumbsup::confused:

i removed the spacer and used new fuel line, installed my clarke at least 3 yrs ago, so far so good.

this is from my original paperwork years ago;

Clarke Part#1409 Mounting Instructions

This tank is for use on the 2000-2005 Suzuki DRZ400S and Kawasaki KLX400S

[Dual Sport Models Only]

1. Begin by removing your original tank.

2. Remove your petcock and seperate the spacer from it.

( You will not need it.)

3. Using the fiber washers from your petcock,install the petcock onto the new tank using the screws included.

4. Install your rear tank mount spacers into the rubber grommets located at the back of the tank.

5. Slide tank onto the front mounts.

6. Bolt the tank down in the back using the original bolts.

7. Install the seat,carefully aligning the groove in the seat with the new rear spine mount.

8. Install the safety strap provided for additional stability.

9. Install shrouds.Tighten all bolts and screws (No Lock-Tite)

10. Attach fuel line to petcock. Please note that on newer models you may have to run a longer fuel line as well as a longer vacuum tube line as they may become kinked due to the size of the new tank.This may not allow your petcock to "breathe" properly causing poor starting or running..

I stand corrected. :confused:

After reading that, its all coming back. After switching tanks i never used the stock petcock again. Sold it. Bought the Pingel wich does not have the big spacer. :thumbsup:

what about the back tank port for the smog hose

what about the back tank port for the smog hose

there is a procedure in the drz faq forum to remove the smog canister junk.

yeah got it , will do tomorrow

I just ordered a clarke tank yesterday. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the clarke tank and not buy a new petcock. I was not aware that I may have to purchase the petcock as well. I have a 2009 drz sm if that matters.

Thanks

no you dont have too.

going to have to remove the smog too

not to change the subject but I just put on the big 28 liter Aqualine tank, going to post an install thread with pics here sometime over the weekend in case somebody wants to see a MUCH BIGGER TANK

cool , 28 litres dang , thats like 7 gallons?

I think it works out to 7.4 gallons, that gives about a 300 mile range, I went to Alaska 3 years ago and the trip up to Pruhdoe Bay is about 250 plus miles so there would never be a need to carry extra gas, plus I can travel out to west Texas without any worries, when I mount the Wolfman sideracks, gonna get the extra water carrier since I have the fuel now covered, took it for a spin, on the street and the bike feels much more planted at 70mph, have to see how that sloshing fuel is out in the New Mexico desert sometime but I am gonna get some tank foam to hopefully minimize that impact, going to post an install thread over the weekend with pics