XR600 wont give a spark, need some pointers

So, my xr600 rebuild project has ground to a holt as im unable to get the thing to spark, im hoping someone can give me pointers as ive spent a few hours fault finding the ignition system and im now a little stumped. Heres what ive checked.

New plug + Plug cap

Checked all connections and wires for continuity, remade all connections with some contact cleaner.

The bike has an electrosport stator fitted by previous owner, i believe its this one;

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/fitting-instructions/electrosport-esg410-fitting-instructions.pdf

although the colored output wires are slightly different but Ive resorted to dissconnecting all connectors from stator other than ignition (BLACK/RED wire) that leaves white, yellow, orange, im unsure about what to do with the green (floating ground?) either way it wont spark with it connected to an earth or disconnected.

The stator coil resistance is reading around 140 ohms which is quite low, stock stator should read around 250 ohms, i can get it to Read around 18v on the DVM if i kick it over by hand.

Checked coil pack resistance, primary and secondary both within spec.

Checked pulse generator resistance - 400 ohms again within spec. i can also see it pulsing on the meter if i kick it over.

That leaves cdi, so off i went and bought a spare off ebay complete with spare coil. When it arrived yesterday i found it was slightly different from the standard as it was labeled mk2 instead of mn1, i believe this cdi is off an xl600 which should work just fine.

Fitted them both and Still no spark, not even a whimper.

So im thinking that either that low 140 ohms from the stator is the culprit or maybe its still the cdi and ive bought a duff one off fleabay??

Have you tried disconnecting the kill switch from the wiring loom..Connection point to loom should be behind the headlight area..

Have you tried disconnecting the kill switch from the wiring loom..Connection point to loom should be behind the headlight area..

Yes forgot to mention that, but kill switch is disconnected

hmmm...The instructions in the pdf look pretty easy to follow..that greens possibly for the neutral indicator that comes on the XL600s..probably the Stators made to suit both models..I can't help really apart from saying check all the wires coming from the Stator for possible flimsy/half broken attachment. ie,,trim back the external plastic covering and inspect them by eye. I don't mean you cut the actual plastic that covers the wire,,,I mean the other stuff that covers that and the wire..Apart from that,,dunno..as you say CDI may be faulty but who knows for sure,,

Ok, ready for another attempt.

I took the stator out yesterday and inspected it, i got no continuity between any of the output wires or poles, except for the white and green. This would be my second 100w output then, The green can now stay disconnected. Between the Black/red and stator body i get 140 ohms.

The color coding would suggest i actually have the electrosport esg440 and not the 410, although im still missing a red wire, which in the 600 is non existent anyway.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_0qvKCcH200OGI3NDIzODYtN2I3NS00MmZlLWFjNzQtNDEzMDEwOGRlNDgz&hl=en_GB

Ive read somewhere that the pre 1990 stators should measure 250 ohms but the later ones should be 90 - 150 so thats good. Im going to say that my stator is not the culprit...so that leaves everything else as the suspect

Coil - Doubtful, have 2, both in spec

Pulse generator - Unlikely as still in spec, ill be checking the gap later.

Bad connection/wire - Still a possibility, will triple check again.

Plug - Maybe

CDI - maybe

I cant think of anything else

Ok, ready for another attempt.

I took the stator out yesterday and inspected it, i got no continuity between any of the output wires or poles, except for the white and green. This would be my second 100w output then, The green can now stay disconnected. Between the Black/red and stator body i get 140 ohms.

The color coding would suggest i actually have the electrosport esg440 and not the 410, although im still missing a red wire, which in the 600 is non existent anyway.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_0qvKCcH200OGI3NDIzODYtN2I3NS00MmZlLWFjNzQtNDEzMDEwOGRlNDgz&hl=en_GB

Ive read somewhere that the pre 1990 stators should measure 250 ohms but the later ones should be 90 - 150 so thats good. Im going to say that my stator is not the culprit...so that leaves everything else as the suspect

Coil - Doubtful, have 2, both in spec

Pulse generator - Unlikely as still in spec, ill be checking the gap later.

Bad connection/wire - Still a possibility, will triple check again.

Plug - Maybe

CDI - maybe

I cant think of anything else

is it possible that it may be a break in the spark plug wire? if everything adds up, up to that point.

I haven't tried this but here is my suggestion.

Try connecting a low wattage (~15W-40W) mains light bulb across the stator output.

Your 110V system should be a reasonable match. The energy from a kick-over should be enough to see a glimmer. Otherwise a voltmeter or your finger should be adequate to test for energy. There may be a shorted turn which will not show on ohmmeter. Checking for energy available is the only proper way. Same applies to the pulse gen... but you have replaced that? I had similar issue and I believe I had both intermittently faulty.

In the end I replaced everything in the ignition. The bike wont start reliably without a healthy spark.

One thing to do is leave everything else disconnected and just connect the black/red wire that powers the CDI.

Since the stator is in hot engine oil it is by far the most common ignition component to fail. Even relatively new ones have gone bad. That doesn't mean that nothing else can fail. Be sure to check all the connections and don't forget the ground connections since the stator winding uses the frame as a ground. I think that my XR600 also has a ground connection at the ignition coil as well. Any part of the ignition system can be an issue. It could be the ignition coil, the CDI and the pulse coil. Even the wiring can be a problem.

Well guys, im still at it! unfortunately no further on.

Ive just had a look at the pulse generator, gap looks fine not measured it but id estimate it to be in the 0.7mm range as the book suggests. Im getting a reading out of it but it is tiny, like 0.05 of a volt when kicking it over, is that anywhere near enough?

Also ive borrowed a fluke meter and can now read a decent voltage from stator, 30v is easily got just by using my hand to wind it over.

I only have the black/red wire connected so as to isolate everything else

cheers fellas

Many things in the ignition can be borderline working..and the bike may even start with components that are old and tired. ..A multimeter does not tell you enough about the part.. you need everything to be perfect.

The parts are cheap enough..and easy to fit...go buy some.

The parts are cheap enough..and easy to fit...go buy some.

in a perfect world where money was easy to come by then yes completely agree. Appreciate your input but honestly i can afford to go buying a new ignition system, that would set me back more than i payed for the bike.