Sign in to follow this  

rectifier help

I have a rectifier off a 86 klr 650. Didn't come with the plug. I am wanting to put it on my kdx to convert to dc for a horn. Can some one tell me which tabs I need to connect to? I have found several wiring diagrams, but they show everything flat. They are stacked on the unit and if I ground the wrong side I will ruin it.

Thank you

I have a rectifier off a 86 klr 650. Didn't come with the plug. I am wanting to put it on my kdx to convert to dc for a horn. Can some one tell me which tabs I need to connect to? I have found several wiring diagrams, but they show everything flat. They are stacked on the unit and if I ground the wrong side I will ruin it.

Thank you

Its even easier than that. A half wave rectifier in line (diode) will convert your AC to DC, but single phase, it may have a period of no voltage (you wouldnt see it, jsut reduced lighting) unless you go full wave rectifier. But a better deal would be a full wave rectifier. Radio Shack has them, just make sure its rated heavy enough to run your load. A full wave rectifier wil be a square looking unit with 4 blade terminals. 2 blades will me marked AC, other 2 wil be DC+ and DC-. Hook your 2 AC lines to the AC terminals, doenst matter which way, then your positive for your light to DC+ and ground to DC-. You can add a smoothing capacitor too to make it even better. Now this wont regulate it. You can easily add an inline regulator. But I know guys like Moose racing makes regulator/rectifier units (all in one) to do what you need also. Thats another good choice. :thumbsup:

Here is a great site explaining it all. And some pictures of full wave rectifiers.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html

the KLR is 3 phase and I would guess the KDX generator is single phase. the diode idea would work & half wave would do the trick.... and no real need to regulate for the horn, it isn't on that long and the generator is barely making enough power in the first place (the voltage will drop with the horn on).

if the KDX is 3 phase, then there should be 3 wires out of the generator (usually yellow)... those go to any of the 3 regulator inputs. the reg will also have a positive and a ground. ground is usually black with yellow stripe.

to check the regulator, choose a "diode" scale on the meter, connect meter + to any regulator input (not output), put meter negative lead on the regulator + out... that should read a "diode number" 500 ohms (more or less). reverse the leads will read infinity.