Sign in to follow this  

How long can I let a small fork seal leak go for ?

Before I start to notice a decline in performence?

I have friends saying theyve gone the whole season letting it leak.....

thanks

It depends on if its weeping or gushing, and if its on the left side contaminating your brakes. A new fork seal is about $11.

Until its low enough that your bottoming out too often. By that time, it won't be a small leak anymore

I know the seals are cheap but Im not expert on installing them and my mechanic won't exactly be a cheap route.

Its not so much gushing, just a small leak......

And Ill have to make sure the bottoming out part doesnt happen

Just replace them yourself, go on youtube and type in rockymountain fork seals. They have a step by step how to video on replacing your fork seals. Your forks probably need a service so just take your forks apart, replace the oil, and replace the dust/fork seals. I did it for the first time a few months ago. Just buy the right tools and take your time.

When I started a ride this past Tuesday morning my left side fork seal was barely leaking any oil. A few minutes before we finished up a 4 hour trail riding day it was leaking like a sieve. By the time we got home my trailer floor had quite a bit of fork oil on it and fork oil had blown back on my exhaust pipe and other parts of the bike while traveling at highway speeds. Now I have no choice but to go ahead and replace my fork seals and wipers--but I wish I had went ahead and replaced them whenever I first noticed the leak.

take a feeler gauge around them you may have dirt under the seal and that can fix it

I know the seals are cheap but Im not expert on installing them and my mechanic won't exactly be a cheap route.

Its not so much gushing, just a small leak......

And Ill have to make sure the bottoming out part doesnt happen

How much is he charging? Usually its only like 20 bucks a seal + the seals, right?

How much is he charging? Usually its only like 20 bucks a seal + the seals, right?

Typical service rates are about $100 + seals + fluids for forks (both). I'd guess closer to $200 total. Don't know exactly - I do my own.

JayC

idk about $200.

I think its like $180 with the entire bushing kit and everything here in bama. and just a fork seal would be like $120. and that is complete.

im not sure either, i havent had someone else build my forks in so long. learn to do it yourself it can be very rewarding, and your friends may do like mine and start paying you to rebuild theres also..:thumbsup:

Find a nearby TT'er who has done it, and bribe him. Once the fork is off the bike and cleaned, the seal can be changed in 15 minutes.

Typical service rates are about $100 + seals + fluids for forks (both). I'd guess closer to $200 total. Don't know exactly - I do my own.

JayC

Damn! I got my forks revalved for that much (which included seals).

Just replace them yourself, go on youtube and type in rockymountain fork seals. They have a step by step how to video on replacing your fork seals. Your forks probably need a service so just take your forks apart, replace the oil, and replace the dust/fork seals. I did it for the first time a few months ago. Just buy the right tools and take your time.

This man has the right idea, watch that video and you'll be changing oil and seals in your sleep.

fork seal is actully very easy to do your self. just put every thing back the same way you took it apart. make sure you have the right tools. there is absoloutly no replacement for a fork seal driver. you need it. only take one hour not even that