Sign in to follow this  

2 stoke questions

hi, im looking at 2strokes, (250's) and i have some questions since i never owned one befor. okay well i heard you have to re-do the top end every year or two, is that true/ if so how often and how much does it cost? and is there any way i can silence the exaust to make it a little bit more quiet or low pitch ? also what happens if i dont re-do the top end besides the increase in power?

thanks

okay well i heard you have to re-do the top end every year or two, is that true/ if so how often and how much does it cost?

I have a 2 stroke 250 Kawasaki that is going on 27 years, and never once in it's entire lifetime has the engine been opened, other than for a clutch change, or for oil changes- it runs just as strong is it did 27 years ago when it came off of the factory floor. Whoever told you that doesn't know how to take care of their bikes.

and is there any way i can silence the exaust to make it a little bit more quiet or low pitch?

Generally 2 strokes are LOUD, that's just the nature of the beast. You can however get yourself a nice slip on silencer that will muffle the exhaust down to a more manageable level.

also what happens if i dont re-do the top end besides the increase in power?

Nothing. The easiest way to check to see if an engine is good is to first do a compression test, then to ride it. Do routine oil changes, and use the correct oil mixture ratio.

BTW, 2 strokes do infact use their own transmission oil that is separate from the topend. It's just regular 10W-30 motorcycle oil, although I switch to 10W-40 for the summer.

You can go a year on a 250 cost under $200. exhaust you can add a FMF Q muffler

2 strokes are not generally loud. Why do you think so many folks are complaining about LOUD four strokes!

Shorty mufflers with no packing are loud.Run a decent muffler and the sound is reasonable. Run a good muffler(FMF Q, stock KTM hockey stick) and at lower rpms a 2t is really quiet to people around you. Add a DB snorkel for more stealth. Still surprising noisy on the bike though but it won't carry far.

I could get 100 hours out of my 300 piston. More on the 380. The current 250 will likely be less as i rev it more. Easy to keep track of with a compression gauge but it's pretty easy and quick just to pull it apart.

two stroke topend will cost you $150 tops and an hour or two of bonding time with your bike. On my 125cc I put a topend in once a year, probably about the same on a 250cc but it all depends on how you ride it. Either way I wouldn't go more then 2-3 years on the same topend, the very least you could do is change the rings once a year and topend every other year.

2 strokes are typically much quieter than a 250f/450f. Topends can be done for $150-200. Engine life depends on factors like riding style, engine size, and model of bike. On my stock yz piston, 50-100 hours was the limit that I felt comfortable with. On my forged wiseco in my 295, I'm currently around 250+ hours and it's still running strong.

I have a 2 stroke 250 Kawasaki that is going on 27 years, and never once in it's entire lifetime has the engine been opened, other than for a clutch change, or for oil changes- it runs just as strong is it did 27 years ago when it came off of the factory floor. Whoever told you that doesn't know how to take care of their bikes.

Generally 2 strokes are LOUD, that's just the nature of the beast. You can however get yourself a nice slip on silencer that will muffle the exhaust down to a more manageable level.

Nothing. The easiest way to check to see if an engine is good is to first do a compression test, then to ride it. Do routine oil changes, and use the correct oil mixture ratio.

BTW, 2 strokes do infact use their own transmission oil that is separate from the topend. It's just regular 10W-30 motorcycle oil, although I switch to 10W-40 for the summer.

Wow....... Perhaps you should refrain from giving advice for a while?

To the OP, disregard all the above except for the oil comment :thumbsup:. My fav is the 18 y/o commenting that his kx runs just as strong as it did 27 years ago :confused:. Personal experience from a past life, I'm guessing?

• Like 1

Wow....... Perhaps you should refrain from giving advice for a while?

To the OP, disregard all the above except for the oil comment :thumbsup:. My fav is the 18 y/o commenting that his kx runs just as strong as it did 27 years ago :confused:. Personal experience from a past life, I'm guessing?

Agreed, disregard that advice.

A compression test is a VERY unreliable way to check the condition of the top end. I have heard of people getting 240 psi compression numbers, then pulling the piston and it crumbles when sat on the table.

Put an hour meter on your bike, and for a 250, do the piston every 50 hours.

You won't notice anything with a fresh top end, but the extra confidence that it won't lock up at any moment.

i replace my top-end every spring and re ring it mid summer ... i also take it a apart and have a looksy atleast once a month over kill maybe but i don't like engine failure, not ridding , and spending money .. do what you like

Thats a little bit far fetched. There's no way it'd have the same amount of power and never doing a top end just shows that you dont know how to take care of your bike. the piston skirt will wear and when theres some slop in there it can damage the cylinder. Taking care of a bike will mean that you clean the air filter etc. that doesnt stop the top end from wearing out.

Imagine how gummed up the powervalve would be :thumbsup::confused:

So much mis-information in this thread. lol

for a 27 year old bike to run the same as it did when it was new must have been stored away for 27 years or only run on the pilot jet.

I'm a Kaw fan, but c'mon! :thumbsup:

While you would never get 27 years of HARD riding in on a 2 stroke, My dad has had a 1976 kx400 since new, and never had any engine work done. It doesn't get raced, it hillclimbs, and gets ridden hard from time to time, but only gets ridden a few times a year. It doesnt have as much power as it did brand new, im sure. but it still has plenty of power. Saying you have to change your piston once a year, or once every two years is rediculous imo... people take what they read out of a manual WAY too seriously. there is a BIG difference between racing and having a bike to ride every weekend.

2 strokes, kind of loud up close.

4 strokes loud up close and the sound carrys a long ways unlike the 2 stroke.

cost, if you find good web site. about 100 for a whole top end so why not replace it every year

There's 720,612,053 threads on this, but in short, changing out your piston keeps the tolerances tight in the cylinder so you don't wear out the cylinder.

Top end replacement is a normal maintenance routine on two strokes. Don't like it, then ride a four stroke or find another sport like surfing or something that doesn't require an engine.

as far as the sound gose

any bike is loud WTFO

2-strokes are quiet in the woods compared to 4's ... top-ends are needed on both 2 and 4's ....

Thats a little bit far fetched. There's no way it'd have the same amount of power and never doing a top end just shows that you dont know how to take care of your bike. the piston skirt will wear and when theres some slop in there it can damage the cylinder. Taking care of a bike will mean that you clean the air filter etc. that doesnt stop the top end from wearing out.

Imagine how gummed up the powervalve would be :thumbsup::confused:

It is NOT a powervalve engine.

I know very well how to take care of my pingers, and these old Kawi engines are bullet proof.

Maybe newer 2 strokes are shit? I don't know, but what I do know is this engine is still putting out every ounce of power that it should be and it has never been rebuilt, it has never been ridden wide open constantly, and it has always been ran on 32:1.

The inside of the cylinder doesn't have any scrapes or whatnot that would be of concern, and the piston skirt is still perfect as can be. These older cylinders are nikalised, and are EXPENSIVE to hone and re-nikalis.

For the bike I am referring to, check my avatar.

Another fellow Tecate owner has only replaced his piston/rings in his twice in it's entire lifetime, and he rides the snot out of it.

Edited by XpressCS

Saying you have to change your piston once a year, or once every two years is rediculous imo... people take what they read out of a manual WAY too seriously. there is a BIG difference between racing and having a bike to ride every weekend.

Years is irrelevant, it's the number of hours that is important, also the way you ride has an effect. If you're not wringing the bike's neck all the time, you could probably go 100 hours safely on a piston. If you're racing it to death, then you probably want to change much more often (like 50).

Anyhow to the OP: I just did my first top end: Wiseco piston kit: $115, Tusk top-end gasket kit: $20. That's it. However, I would have spent a little more on the cometic gasket kit but they were out of stock.

It is NOT a powervalve engine.

I know very well how to take care of my pingers, and these old Kawi engines are bullet proof.

Maybe newer 2 strokes are shit? I don't know, but what I do know is this engine is still putting out every ounce of power that it should be and it has never been rebuilt, it has never been ridden wide open constantly, and it has always been ran on 32:1.

The inside of the cylinder doesn't have any scrapes or whatnot that would be of concern, and the piston skirt is still perfect as can be. These older cylinders are nikalised, and are EXPENSIVE to hone and re-nikalis.

For the bike I am referring to, check my avatar.

Another fellow Tecate owner has only replaced his piston/rings in his twice in it's entire lifetime, and he rides the snot out of it.

FALSE

1) any modern cylinder is coated in Nikasil ( nickel silicon carbide )

2) take you piston out and measure it please

3) you don't " hone " nicasil you deglaze it

4) 3 wheelers are gay

• Like 1

FALSE

1) any modern cylinder is coated in Nikasil ( nickel silicon carbide )

2) take you piston out and measure it please

3) you don't " hone " nicasil you deglaze it

4) 3 wheelers are gay

:worthy::confused::thumbsup:

Yep, checked your avatar. I see an 18 yr old kid on a 3 wheeler, riding in shorts and tennis shoes...:thumbsup: