Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR600 Rides Like Pogo Stick

New to this forum and would like to request help. My rear shock lost its fluid a couple weeks ago. I had a local motorbike mechanic work on it. He replaced the rear seal and oil. The bike now rides like a pogo stick (ok, slight exaggeration) but anyway there is little damping and each bump the bike bounces a couple times before settling down.

There is some damping, just not much.

Could he have use the wrong oil? Assembled incorrectly? Any other info I should provide?

Your assistance is appreciated.

I do not believe so as no mention was made about it. I apologize for my ignorance as I am not sure where the rebound clicker is and/or how to reset it.

The shock is back on the bike. Is this something that can be accomplished with the shock installed?

Most likely didn't get all the air out if it's real bad, it's sometimes not easy on some shocks to get all the air out.

Iv'e built a big lever tool that i put a shock in after a service to make sure all the air was bled out.

Did he back the rebound clicker out all the way and you have not yet reset it?

If the rebound clicker is the dial on the shock then no matter how I adjust it the damping does not change.

I spoke with him and he is confident air is not a problem, thinks he used the wrong weight oil. Going to take it apart and repeat the procedure with thicker oil and see what happens.

I spoke with him and he is confident air is not a problem, thinks he used the wrong weight oil. Going to take it apart and repeat the procedure with thicker oil and see what happens.

All modern rear shocks take a "thin oil",this is more resistant fadding when they get hot.

If he thinks it's "too thin" i'd try another shop...seriously..

Even if it is replaced with a thicker oil,it might feel better until it warms up.

But, as described "pogo stick" ..it still has air. Even with stock valving you should be able to adjust the rebound so it won't "pogo stick".

I haven't had time to take bike back yet, though in the meantime the rear shock oil has leaked out again. This after having new seals installed.:smirk:

All modern rear shocks take a "thin oil",this is more resistant fadding when they get hot.

Even if it is replaced with a thicker oil,it might feel better until it warms up.

But, as described "pogo stick" ..it still has air. Even with stock valving you should be able to adjust the rebound so it won't "pogo stick".

Took it to another mechanic and he found a different leak on top of shock where the line goes in. That is fixed and the shock holds oil and has compression damping.

Problem is there is no rebound damping no matter how the rebound clicker is adjusted. Mechanic said most likely those internal parts are shot and there are not replacment parts available and I should look for another used shock.

I think this makes sense though would like to see what you Thumpertalk experts say.

Follow up: First mechanic installed lower shock shim stacks incorrectly after replacing lower seals. Shock is now fully functional.

Follow up: First mechanic installed lower shock shim stacks incorrectly after replacing lower seals. Shock is now fully functional.

YAY good news! Enjoy the ride. :smirk: