Sign in to follow this  

yz125 timing question?

Looking at my manual for my 01 yz125 it says to use a dial gauge when re-timing. Is this necessary or is it as simple as lining up the lines on the stator to the line on the case and then the line on the flywheel to the line on the stator?

Follow you manual or you may run into all sorts of problems later on.

It seems odd that yamaha would take the extra effort to put timing marks on the inside of the case, stator, and flywheel only to be meaningless.

It also seems odd that yamaha would make the transmission oil inspection bolt 375ml short.

You could probably line it up and be fine.

Check out the timing thread in the FAQ's, there is a good link for a dial indicator and adapter for the spark plug hole.

It will help you make small timing adjustments. Also you can check the free play of your crank with this tool. It will pay for itself if you ever catch a bad rod bearing.

thanks.. looks like another tool for the collection

It also seems odd that yamaha would make the transmission oil inspection bolt 375ml short.

Is it still off mark when standing inclined to the left? Meaning not on the stand but standing with the triangle.

regards

Arnego2

Is it still off mark when standing inclined to the left? Meaning not on the stand but standing with the triangle.

regards

Arnego2

Never thought of that, you may be on to something.

So I did open the check bolt with the triangle on the opposite side and it still is not right. It could be that it is not a check bold. A drain bold if you put too much oil in you get get it out easier.