85 2-stroke or ttr-125 for a beginner

Hi, I am a beginner and i am 5'7 135 lbs. and I was looking into either buying a yz/rm/kx 85 2 stroke or a ttr125 4 stroke. Let me know which bike you should recommend and why. Thanks.

A RM85L big wheel version if those are your only options. Blazing Fast, reliable and a fun to ride. The ttr125 is heavier and very very slow compared to any of the 2 strokes. I guess it depends on if you are planning on tooling around the yard or riding MX. And if are you still growing the 85's will be to small very soon. My son is your size and he is riding a yz125 for MX. He was getting to big for any of your choices and the 85's are a bit under-sprung in stock form. A YZ/RM 125 would actually be a much better bike to progress on especially if you are riding MX. And you can get a used one for about the same as the 85's... JMO....

Good luck and have fun choosing and Riding..

Both are WAY too small for you. I'm 5'4" and the seat height of both of those are too short for me. The 125 will also be under-powered for you.

Look into a 250 four stroke. ?

I agree with AliGee, 85 cc bikes are too small (ideal for about 5' 0" to 5' 2"), even the 85 cc big wheels or the KX100 (5' 2" - 5' 6") are too small for you right now.

At your height, you might want to start with a CRF150F (air cooled 4 stroke - elec start) or CRF230F or TT-R230 (air cooled 4 stroke -elect start). I expect you probably won't be riding these bikes for more than 1 season, before you are ready to move to water cooled 250 four stroke or perhaps a 125 two stroke or 200 two stroke.

I suppose its possible for you to start with a WR250F or CRF250X that still have the throttle stop screw and haven't had the free mods done, but they are a lot of bike for a complete beginner. The 250 four stroke motocross bikes (KX250F, YZ250F, CRF250R, RMZ250,etc) are definitely too fast and too high geared (at least in the lower gears) for a beginner.

Ttr125 will be good to begin with, but you will want more power later. If your doing trail riding then consider a wr250f if you have enough money, then just take it easy at start. If not then just get something like a ttr125, ctf150f, ttr230 or crf230f.

I personally think s yz250f would be perfect. It has a very reliable motor, and tons of power. But I don't think the ttr will b good because you will want more power and the suspension stinks.

A 230 will be ok but still you will want more power too and plus this bikes suspension is a little higher but still not that good.

If you go with a 250f then you will have all the power you need and the suspension will be perfect for you too. And your suspension is one of the most important things on your bike. It helps you avoiding wrecks.

If I were you get a 250f and learn on it. Just remember to respect it,.

Marclb,

Not sure what you are saying when you say a CRF250. Are you talking about a CRF230F (air cooled four stroke, wide ratio transmission, elec start trail bike) or a CRF250R (watercooled four stroke, close ratio transmission, motocross bike) or even a CRF250X (watercooled four stroke, wide ratio transmission, enduro bike).

There are a lot of differences between these motorcycles. Whle I agree the suspension on the YZ250F, CRF250R and KX250F motocrossers are probably the best, little else would be suitable for you and what you want to ride. You will not be able to learn, putt-around on these motocross bikes and I think will be a mistake to start out riding on trails with them.

You need a wide-ratio transmission to start so you can learn to ride easy and be in control. This means either the CRF150F, CRF230F, TTR230 in the docile, air cooled category (albeit weaker suspension) or the WR250F or the CRF250X in the watercooled category with the ability to do modifications (when you are ready) to get their performance within about 90% of the 250F motocross bikes.

250f's?????? :confused:

Do you guys want to scare him away from riding with a big heavy bike?

He wants to trail ride....

I would recomend a KX100. Same size as the 85's but it has a powervalve so the power delivery is smoother. Add a heavy flywheel weight to the bike and have fun ?

Careful learning though, it still has more than enough power to bite you...

250f's?????? :worthy:

Do you guys want to scare him away from riding with a big heavy bike?

He wants to trail ride....

I would recomend a KX100. Same size as the 85's but it has a powervalve so the power delivery is smoother. Add a heavy flywheel weight to the bike and have fun ?

Careful learning though, it still has more than enough power to bite you...

I'm a 5'4" female... learned on a YZ250 with no problems. A four stroke is 2x less scary. With his height I feel like a KX100 will be too short for him... It's a good fit for a person my size. I also think he'd get bored quick with the power. That's just my two cents. :confused:

its a 125 for you for sure almost the same power as a 250f and alot less weight. best and only choice because the weight of a 250f will be overwhelming. i weigh 185 and it is perfect for me. if i were 50 lbs less and 7 inches shorter i would be scared to death of that big bike

If you are just learning and have never been on a bike I would try to get a hold of a CRF150r. My daughter has a DRZ125 and it's a fun bike and good to learn. Great trail bike but you will get used to it quick and it won't be enough after 5 or 6 rides. The 150r will give you allot more speed and the "dirt bike" feeling. It should last you a year. You will be looking for a 250f after that.

I just picked up an 08 left over 150r for my wife for $2,200. Everyone said they were fast but I was thinking a little faster then my daughter's 125. Boy was I wrong, that thing rips! I couldn't believe how fast it was. Fun little bike and perfect for my wife to learn on! Great in the trails and on the track. The nice thing about it is it makes you ride. It's not a put put bike. You actually have to ride it for it go. On the other hand the TTR is going to teach you to be lazy and just let off the clutch and go. JMHO

IMO leaning on a big bike takes a lot of maturity, it can be done but don't jump on the bike thinking you can accomplish anything just because it has more power than you can handle. Be gentle and learn the bike, you will have minimal problems.

its a 125 for you for sure almost the same power as a 250f and alot less weight. best and only choice because the weight of a 250f will be overwhelming. i weigh 185 and it is perfect for me. if i were 50 lbs less and 7 inches shorter i would be scared to death of that big bike

The TTR125 is HARDLY equivalent to a 250f...

This is a TTR125: It is a child's bike... Made for a kid no taller than 5'. He is 5'7".

muskie-ttr125-020.jpg

AliGee I think Alex is talking about a 125 two stroke.

Just to clarify for the original poster about all these bikes being talked about:

The 85cc two stroke motocross bikes (CR85R, YZ85, RM85, KX85, KTM85) are the same size as the CR150R. They all have 17" front wheel and 14" rear wheel are are really for people about 5' 0" to about 5' 4"

The KX100, CRF150F, RM85L, CR85RB, CR150RB, KTM105XC, YZ85 Bigwheel are all about the same seat height and have 19" front wheel/16" rear wheel. These generally work for people about 5" 4" to 5' 8".

The 125 two stroke MX bikes (RM125, CR125R, YZ125, KX125) and the WR250f, CRF250X and CRF230F, and TTR230F are all about the same height and have 21" front wheels and 18" rear wheels. These full size bikes generally work for people who are 5'8" and taller (or very experienced riders or shorter stature).

There is usually about 20-25 differences in weight between the 4 strokes and the two strokes, with the 4 strokes being heavier.

AliGee I think Alex is talking about a 125 two stroke.

Just to clarify for the original poster about all these bikes being talked about:

The 85cc two stroke motocross bikes (CR85R, YZ85, RM85, KX85, KTM85) are the same size as the CR150R. They all have 17" front wheel and 14" rear wheel are are really for people about 5' 0" to about 5' 4"

The KX100, CRF150F, RM85L, CR85RB, CR150RB, KTM105XC, YZ85 Bigwheel are all about the same seat height and have 19" front wheel/16" rear wheel. These generally work for people about 5" 4" to 5' 8".

The 125 two stroke MX bikes (RM125, CR125R, YZ125, KX125) and the WR250f, CRF250X and CRF230F, and TTR230F are all about the same height and have 21" front wheels and 18" rear wheels. These full size bikes generally work for people who are 5'8" and taller (or very experienced riders or shorter stature).

There is usually about 20-25 differences in weight between the 4 strokes and the two strokes, with the 4 strokes being heavier.

Yeah I saw his post below mine... he just made it sound like he was directing the post to the ttr. Had to clarify.

IMO the KX100 / SX105 would be too short for a 5'8" rider. As I said, I'm 5'4" and I fit perfectly on the 100's... I guess I just can't picture a 5'8" rider being comfortable on one... A YZ85 / SX85 is a bit too small for me.

Just for clarification: The TTR-230 is a good fit for me (at 5'4")... but I wouldn't mind having the seat an inch shorter. And on that note a TTR-230 or equivilant would be another good starter option. Everyone complains about the weight of bikes but you can't tell when it's under neath you. All four strokes are going to be heavier. He's gonna have to man up at some point. ?

Then again I learned on a YZ250 and I'm very partial to the more powerful bikes... I've ridden 100's , 80's, 250f's etc and was bored. I was born with a natural aptitude with throttle control and two wheels. But watching my boyfriend learn on a 250 is terrifying... :confused: So I can see how a smaller bike would be beneficial for some riders.