Sign in to follow this  

OffRoad Subscribe to this forum! (and how to subscribe)

If you'd like to follow along as I post updates, click the "forum tools" link on the main Erzberg page http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=600 (right above the last post colum) and subscribe to this forum. Then you'll automatically be notified when I post new content.

Also, feel free to jump in and fire off questions, comments, feedback, or whatever. I don't want this to be me talking AT you, but sharing this experience of a lifetime WITH you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

With the conditions already big, What bike can you possibly take? In my opinion a four-stroke is the first thing that would stick out for the terrain. But just curiouse is the conditions making a matter for you?:thumbsup:

With the conditions already big, What bike can you possibly take? In my opinion a four-stroke is the first thing that would stick out for the terrain. But just curiouse is the conditions making a matter for you?:thumbsup:

yeah good question! will you be riding a 2T or 4T?:confused:

man I wish i could ride a 4 stroke! but it seems there is a few problems with 4 strokes

A> they over heat too easy in extreme circumstances (let alone a day of extreme)

B> they weigh too much (350-450) or are too slow (250) for qualifying

I have been told to be prepared to carry that bike all day long and u must qualify on the same bike you race.

2 smoke is the best compromise....i hope:bonk:

I'd agree with you. A 2T is better suited to Erzberg, but don't forget to change your sprocket for the prologue! I had a 52t on my GasGas last year & suffered badly because of it. If I'd switched back to a 48t, it'd be much more suited to the run & then switch back to a 52t for Sunday.

I'd agree with you. A 2T is better suited to Erzberg, but don't forget to change your sprocket for the prologue! I had a 52t on my GasGas last year & suffered badly because of it. If I'd switched back to a 48t, it'd be much more suited to the run & then switch back to a 52t for Sunday.

Hey Robszombie

Thanks for the advice! a friend of mine rented a KTM 300 last year and he said that the stock gearing was fine on the prologue excpet for one strait where he had to back off or he was afraid of blowing up the engine. Conversely, he said that he wasnt sure howthe bike would work out of the turns with higher speed gearing. What is your opinion? May I ask about what speed would u say you were drifting in the turns? thanks !!

Hey Mike,

I can't find the post by the guy with erzberg experience and gearing, but for what it is worth.

I ride a 300 XC-W with the Rekluse setup. That rekluse may end up to be more help to you than you think on the prolog. It allows you to go with taller gearing and still get jump out of a corner. I, through a bit of ignorance, ran the Mich CVCC trail with a 14/50 gearing. on the gravel roads that thing blasted, I hit 85 without even trying - and it was still climbing when I shut it down - it was either that or change my pants! The taller gears as you know give you more speed, but that subtle slipping of that clutch at low RPM gives you great launches out of the corner!

I now pretty much run a 13/50, and it works great in tight stuff and climbs. that 2 stroke can and usually does outclimb just about any 4 st i run with, and it's alot more controlled, I don't need that massive highspeed runup and have to depend on momentum, i can stay in control and pick my lines alot better. i am no where near the rider you are, I would struggle to carry your jockstrap, but in the Kenda national Hound and hare series, almost any passing I do is on the knarly rocky/sandy long hill climbs, I just hob knob my way up passing guys left and right.

Carl Johansson

What will you be running for tires in the prologue, and then in the rodeo itself? What's your mod list? What are the limitations to bike set up?

What will you be running for tires in the prologue, and then in the rodeo itself? What's your mod list? What are the limitations to bike set up?

I am still trying to work out the details with Pirelli and the tires, so i will let u know. I think the only limitation is the trails tire is not allowed and u have to run the same bike in the prolouge as the race