Sign in to follow this  

2011 DRD Exhaust

I put a new stainless/aluminum DRD exhaust system on my 2011 KX250F and headed out to Cahuilla Creek MX to see how it performed. I didn't really know what to expect because I hadn't spoken to anyone who had one yet. It has a strange-looking little "can" on the headpipe about the size of a Redbull can?

As you know, an exhaust doesn't really make "new" power but just moves the existing power around in the powerband to maximize performance. Since the '11 model goes flat on top compared to the '09 and '10 I thought maybe the pipe would address that issue but I was wrong. What DRD did was take a bike with a strong low to mid-range hit and make it even stronger. It MAY be a little MORE flat on top than it was before but the kick from down low through the mid-range has been increased significantly.

One of the things I like most about the '11 model is that it has so much torque for a 250F. I am not a "revver" by nature and so like the bike with this pipe even more now. It took about two laps to get used to and after that I was putting in faster lap times than ever. The extra torque helped a lot in getting over jumps out of turns and made it feel like a "mini 450".

Have I mentioned how much I love this bike? :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention, it is MUCH quieter than the stock system.

Edited by freds4

i dont know about the 2011, but on my 09,10 yosh systems are the best. i had a drd on my 07 it was ok but fell apart in a year

I have a stainless/aluminum system and the thing is pretty darn loud. Im always paranoid that the packing is all gone.

^ yes with the drd i wasnt getting 20 hours out of the packing. i was buying 2 packs at a time.

This is our third DRD system and we are currently also running one on an '09 KX450F. They have all been super-durable and much quieter than the stock system. I switched brands after having multiple failures with Pro Circuit systems. My local welder was getting tired of welding on them.

No, stock map.

i got my '11 for riding trails... and actually havent even seen trail yet w/it but

thanks will keep in mind......

have seen a couple companies that have tuneable caps that i have looked at..

do the stock bikes run a bit rich then?

The can-looking thing is a resonance chamber, keeps the bike quieter by a dB or two.

The can-looking thing is a resonance chamber, keeps the bike quieter by a dB or two.

and supposedly adds bottom end

and supposedly adds bottom end

Based on my experience, it does a great job of both. :thumbsup:

you should take that clutch cover off and sand/bead blast it. Bike looks great.

i just got a leo vince system for my 09, it takes away too much power from the mid, maybe adds a bit on top, seems like you made a good choice