Sign in to follow this  

My first ride report ktm 350

I went to a track where they had demo day took my 250sx to ride mainly .they had a ktm test ride day there as well and got my first ride on a 350. I was able to feel comfortable on the bike right away did most of the jumps first lap . The rear suspension compared to my 250sx was like a marshmallow didnt feel any of the chop at all was really nice . The forks when not pushing felt pretty good but when pushed it was very eveident they are to soft . As for the power I've never really ridden 250 fourstrokes much and while it was nice I really longed for the power and torque of a 450 . If I had to compare the bike to my 09 crf 450 the rear suspension was really nice but the bike felt heavier than my honda for sure . All in all its not a bad bike especially if you're used to revving and perhaps come off a 250f . I wish they would've had the 450 to try . I was really impressed with the rear suspension I sorta had my doubts just riding up to the track as it felt very wallowy . But on the track its actually quite nice . compared to my 250sx there is no comparison it was much better . But on that note I was able to actually turn about 3 seconds a lap faster on my 250sx harsh as it may be I chalk that up to not being used to the power on the 350 u really need to rev it .

...thought this was a 2 stroke forum??? ride a 300 2t if you want rev's or power or low end or top end???

was just info mainly comparing the pds to the linkage the linkage is much better IMO .

I was wondering how ktm new linkage is. My 08 250sx was redone by factory connection with a progressive spring. Night and day. I feel like it handles as good or better than my 06 yz450f i had. I miss the torque but love that i know i can afford to rebuild the 2 stroke. I would love to compare a 11 250sx to mine..

Thanks for the feedback dandimand. I've ridden the 350 back to back with my 2011 250xc on a GP course and agree 100%. The guys who bleed orange will be offended but there's no doubt in my mind that their first attempt at a linkage suspension, it is an improvement over the pds they've done forever. If we're lucky, they'll just buy KYB or Showa components in the future. Ooooooh.

Yea my rear shock is stock but has the pds 6 spring but Like I said I didnt realize how harsh it was til I rode the 350 . I dont mind it dont get me wrong But if they ever do go to the linkage on the sx250 would make a really cool bike .

I would say the linkage on the 350 shock even worked alot better than my Honda . On that note though only put on about 5 or 6 laps though . If they could make the weight of the 450 equal to the honda I would probably buy one I couldnt care less about the electric start maybe they could offer a bike without and that would make it lighter ?

was just info mainly comparing the pds to the linkage the linkage is much better IMO .

Show me the valving and spring rates for both and you will probably see why they behave differently. These kind of comparisons are meaningless. :thumbsup:

I went to a track where they had demo day took my 250sx to ride mainly .they had a ktm test ride day there as well and got my first ride on a 350. I was able to feel comfortable on the bike right away did most of the jumps first lap . The rear suspension compared to my 250sx was like a marshmallow didnt feel any of the chop at all was really nice . The forks when not pushing felt pretty good but when pushed it was very eveident they are to soft . As for the power I've never really ridden 250 fourstrokes much and while it was nice I really longed for the power and torque of a 450 . If I had to compare the bike to my 09 crf 450 the rear suspension was really nice but the bike felt heavier than my honda for sure . All in all its not a bad bike especially if you're used to revving and perhaps come off a 250f . I wish they would've had the 450 to try . I was really impressed with the rear suspension I sorta had my doubts just riding up to the track as it felt very wallowy . But on the track its actually quite nice . compared to my 250sx there is no comparison it was much better . But on that note I was able to actually turn about 3 seconds a lap faster on my 250sx harsh as it may be I chalk that up to not being used to the power on the 350 u really need to rev it .

At the Pembi track were you :thumbsup:

He is not wrong. The 2012 EXC/XCW 2 stroke models will get the new chassis, but will still run the PDS. The 2012 SX/XC 2 stroke models will be linkage equipped.

Link?

Where are you guys reading that the sx/xc models will come with linkage?

Link?

It was on KTM Talk. I can't find the thread....probably a thread like this one that has nothing to do with two strokes. I'll try to find it again.

thank god he was wrong

DO NOT WANT LINKAGE

Ditto That!

I've ridden plenty of linkage bikes, no use for the type of riding I do. I understand the need though on MX bikes.