Sign in to follow this  

Better side/rib protection

I wear an EVS RC Evo neck brace and an EVS Flux CP. I like the projection for my shoulders, chest, and back. However, I would like more rib/side protection. Twice in the past 2 seasons I have hurt my ribs on my left side. And sore ribs are lame!

Thoughts on something that would provide better side protection that is compatible with the EVS RC? I have looked at a number of pressure suits and I dont think I like they way they look. They all seem to have 2 separate chest pieces except the Thor, but the Thor chest plate looks small and wouldn't cover my sides anyway.

Since I lacerated my spleen I wear a football flack jacket which works great and is very comfortable.

Klim Tek Vest

That looks very interesting. Do you know if any dealers in Western Washington carry those?

+1 for the Tekvest. Doesn't have to be Klim-branded... they add a d-ring and colors to the Freestyle vest, mark it up a bit more, then resell it.

I wear the Freestyle (same as the Klim, without the d-ring/colors/pricetag) on the dirt. Works great. Can't speak for the compatibility with a neck brace though. Shoulder pads are optional, I recommend them.

IMG_0252.jpg

+1 for the Tekvest. Doesn't have to be Klim-branded... they add a d-ring and colors to the Freestyle vest, mark it up a bit more, then resell it.

I wear the Freestyle (same as the Klim, without the d-ring/colors/pricetag) on the dirt. Works great. Can't speak for the compatibility with a neck brace though. Shoulder pads are optional, I recommend them.

Do you ever wear a backpack with your Tek Vest? If so, is it comfortable or does it cause the Tek Vest to dig into your shoulders?

Do you ever wear a backpack with your Tek Vest? If so, is it comfortable or does it cause the Tek Vest to dig into your shoulders?

On the dirt I wear an old Klim pack, the newer version that replaced what I have is called the "Nac-pak". On the snow I have a snowpulse avalanche airbag pack. Both work fine with the tekvest.

Nice thing about the vest is it spreads the weight of the pack out over the shoulder instead of just on the straps, IMO it makes the pack more comfortable to wear all day.

The neck hole on the tekvest is wide enough that unless you're really trying, it's not going to pinch.

Snowpulse pack with my race vest:

DSC05364.jpg

And Klim pack with the Freestyle vest:

1023766375_wwySx-L.jpg

That looks very interesting. Do you know if any dealers in Western Washington carry those?
The vests are targeted at snowmobilers. I'm sure there's a sled dealer that carries Klim gear somewhere up there.

I wear a basic karting rib protector under my Fox Airframe. Some of them are pretty cheap. I already had it so I thought why not, and it seems to work well for me.

Give this a read, it talks about chest protectors, pressure suits and impact vests. Sounds like you need an impact vest.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984783

You're right to doubt the pressure suit's protection in a crash. Most have either a token piece or no padding at all around the sides; leaving your ribs, liver, and spleen vulnerable. With no solid chest plate your sternum is vulnerable too. These were originally designed for road racing so they are good for a slide, but we are more likely to get smashed by our own bike, the guys behind us, rocks / roots / trees, or the guys coming at us on a singletrack in the woods. If you hit something hard enough to break bones, will that 1/4” thick pad really make a difference?