Sign in to follow this  

230 valves

My 230 used to be really hard starting. Didn't think anything of it. I did the re-jet and now it starts beautifully. I've just read some stuff about valve issues on other bikes though that cause hard starting. Now I'm a little worried about the valves. Since it starts fine now after the re-jet does that mean it wasn't the valves?

My 230 used to be really hard starting. Didn't think anything of it. I did the re-jet and now it starts beautifully. I've just read some stuff about valve issues on other bikes though that cause hard starting. Now I'm a little worried about the valves. Since it starts fine now after the re-jet does that mean it wasn't the valves?

The XR200/CRF230 engine has never had a "valve" problem. They are typical XR, reliable as a rock.

The CRF250/450 had valve problems from day one. Just hold one open across a dry lake and you had to do a head job every time.

no worries on the valves. the stock jets have that bike so bogged down. it took forever for that bike to warm up. i read alot of threads on TT and after i rejetted based on the posts, it fires right up and runs 100% better, did you take the snorkel out also?

ya. I'm thinking about putting it back in though. It seems like everytime i go through water it gets into the airfilter and the bike doesn't run right for a few minutes.

^it's very annoying. Has anyone else had this problem? any fixes?

^it's very annoying. Has anyone else had this problem? any fixes?

I know what you mean. I just had to quit going through water, but that's fine with me. May not be an option for you I guess.

I really enjoy mud and water :thumbsup: Depending on were i go it is/isn't an option. At my cottage it could be problematic, the other place I ride is ganaraska. Avoiding water there is easy because it is mostly single track. anyway sounds like that's a tradeoff for the upgrade. what happens if i put it back in, I know it will be rich but too rich? is their another option that will still let in as much air but not as much water?

I really enjoy mud and water :thumbsup: Depending on were i go it is/isn't an option. At my cottage it could be problematic, the other place I ride is ganaraska. Avoiding water there is easy because it is mostly single track. anyway sounds like that's a tradeoff for the upgrade. what happens if i put it back in, I know it will be rich but too rich? is their another option that will still let in as much air but not as much water?

Probably too rich if you put it back in. What I would suggest is raising the rubber rim up a little with some rubber material and cut away from your seat as much as you raised it so you don't decrease airflow. You follow?

There are some real enduro riders out there who will know the perfect solution. Hopefully one of them chimes in!

ya. I'm thinking about putting it back in though. It seems like everytime i go through water it gets into the airfilter and the bike doesn't run right for a few minutes.

I'm very doubtfull its actually getting onto the airfilter :thumbsup:

It is the best airbox for keeping water out IMHO

Its more than likely some of the carb breather tubes need re-locating INTO the airbox to keep them from being submerged:ride:

ian

what's that involve doing? can you give me some more details please?

I have found a good solution to the air box problem. After looking at it and thinking about how it works I decided to put that piece back in and drill a few holes in the top of it. I have yet to try it through water but i know it will keep the water out. i just dont know if it will allow the airflow. will find out soon enough.