Enclosed sled trailer?

So supprisingly, my mom is telling us that we should buy an enclosed trailer for our sleds. We have four old Polaris Indy's. Our current trailer is a 18 foot hunk of steel. It's been a great trailer for the past 1o years or so. It owes us nothing.

So, here's the problem, our tow vehicle is a 2002 GMC Yukon XL. With 2000 pounds of sleds, and approximately 6000 pounds of trailer, we're at the Towing Capacity of 8100lbs.

It towed a car hauling trailer with 6000 lbs of Ford Expedition on the back for about 20 hours straight and did fine, but that was fairly flat driving. To get to the good snow, we have to go up a 10-12% grade. for about 10 miles or so.

Anyone have experience towing a 4 place enclosed trailer with a 1/2 Suburban? It seems doable, we've thought of putting suspension air bags in, supposedly that would boost the capacity to about 9000 pounds.

Any thoughts?

Okay. I am so confused right now.

Lets take a Mirage trailer for instance.

It's 8.5 feet wide and 20 feet long the GVWR is 7000 lbs. It's dry weight is 2700 pounds and a max payload of 4300.

So, if the GVWR is under that of the truck, you should be fine to tow it correct? I think i've just been confused by all the manufactures different specs, some people have different specs listed and what not. gets my brain in a knot.

If I have this right an equation of this all would look something like:

GVWR= CURB WEIGHT+ MAX PAYLOAD

Okay. I am so confused right now.

Lets take a Mirage trailer for instance.

It's 8.5 feet wide and 20 feet long the GVWR is 7000 lbs. It's dry weight is 2700 pounds and a max payload of 4300.

So, if the GVWR is under that of the truck, you should be fine to tow it correct? I think i've just been confused by all the manufactures different specs, some people have different specs listed and what not. gets my brain in a knot.

If I have this right an equation of this all would look something like:

GVWR= CURB WEIGHT+ MAX PAYLOAD

Yes that is correct, and even if the gvwr is rated higher than your trucks tow weight, you don't have to load the trailer that full.

With a good brake controller and a good trans cooler I wouldn't be concerned about towing four sleds in an enclosed trailer.

Only thing that might give you fits is wind....lots of wind to cut through with a 102" wide sled trailer, but the V-nose/ramp dealy-bobber up front will help some.