Sign in to follow this  

Buying a WR250, need some help!

Hey folks, I'm a new member although I've been reading along for a little while now and absolutely love this site! Im a member on a very similar forum for my truck and it has been super helpful so I thought Id see if I could get some help from you guys! well I am making the switch to a 4 stroke, (my last bike was a YZ 125) I've ridden YZ 426 and 450s and loved them but I like a lighter bike myself. Anyway I have found a few for sale in my area and I checked one out today (an '06 WR 250) and took it for a ride and loved it. It felt to good to be on a bike again (havent had one in a couple years) and it rode like a dream. tons of power, has had a few of the mods done to it and a dr. d full exhaust and jetted. I have a couple questions for you guys, the guy didnt really know how to use the digital display and neither did I so I wasnt able to decode it.

1. Do the total hours of the bike always stay in the memory or can they be reset? there was the letter A and 31.6 beside it in one screen and I assumed that was the total hours but not sure.

2. same question but for miles (km in my case) can they be reset or is that always accumulating? they were at 6200km (3875miles) doesnt add up, with the hours that would mean the average speed would be 125 mph!!

3. are the headlight and brakes light always on? and is the brake light controlled by using the brakes? he said they were just always on. not that i dont trust the guy he just didnt seem to ride it all that much so he wasnt super familiar with it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

1. Do the total hours of the bike always stay in the memory or can they be reset? there was the letter A and 31.6 beside it in one screen and I assumed that was the total hours but not sure.

The A (and there's also a :thumbsup: are identifying the two tripmeters the unit has.

3. are the headlight and brakes light always on? and is the brake light controlled by using the brakes? he said they were just always on. not that i dont trust the guy he just didnt seem to ride it all that much so he wasnt super familiar with it.

Down here in the USA, the lights are on whenever the engine is running - there's no ON/OFF switch.

Taillight is just a running light that is not acting as a brake light.

thanks yzetc for clearing that part up. so i guess they dont come with a total hour meter then. hm anybody know if the milage is resettable or if that keeps running? also is 3000+ miles a lot for an 06? just wondering what average miles are on these bikes for average riding and when its recommended for rebuild etc.

hmm well thats a bummer. oh well despite that I think I might get it. the bike rides really nice, it runs like it should, no smoke or rattling or anything wierd, the guy seems really honest and genuine and seemed to take care of it. as far as maintenance, he has been taking it to his freind who is a motorcycle mechanic and has his own shop (whom he said he would introduce me to so that I can continue to take it to him if I like). any suggestions on what I should ask the mechanic about the bike? aside from valve shimming and oil change intervals?

Sorry to jump in on the thread but some1 said the tail light isnt for the brakes? can that be converted to work with brakes?

It can be done. Not sure if there are kits available but you can do it yourself. If you are pretty good with electrical just adapt a switch into the circuit and it can be done

Yea theres kits available for them! With my dads technical know how and my determination to own and run a completely road legal wr250 i think we will do it.. i dont wanna get a wr250r cus well they look like crap lol! thanks for the help man :thumbsup:

I just bought another "brake switch" for my WR 250 from rocky mountain for 18.00 or so. It's super easy to hook up and i believe the 06 already has a dual filiment bulb or 1157 bulb in it,it's just not wired up from the factory. P.S. Don't buy the Tusk switch,i have cooked 2 of them, buy a Baja Design switch.