Sign in to follow this  

Nothing like finding $3000 you didn't know you had

I've been cleaning my dads old shop for the last few days getting it ready to sell. Today, in a corner full of 35 years of various truck parts, I found a 2ft by 9" rusty grey metal box I'd never seen before.

Opened it up and its full of tools, 3/4 drive, seems complete. I pick up the ratchet head and scrub some of the grime and rust off to see what it says: Snap-On. :thumbsup:

Almost all of my tools are Craftsman, typically I'd say snap-ons aren't worth the pricetag you're paying for the name... but in this case the price was pretty good.

Here's the closet thing to it on snap-ons website http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=3679&group_ID=417&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

The ratchet handle is badly bent, but I'm guessing they'll replace that free... if not they're under $100 bucks. The rest of it is just really grimy with some minor rust. Does Snap-on warranty the finish like Craftsman does? if so they might replace the whole set due to the rust.

That's awesome!

I always try to leave $20 in my winter coat pocket so I can discover it in the fall when it gets cold.

• Like 1

3000 for a 25 piece set? What am i missing?

3000 for a 25 piece set? What am i missing?

the one on the website is 35 piece... this one doesnt have the universal and one of the extensions, I'm not sure if it came that way or is missing those 2, so its 33 piece.

As for what you're missing... its the snap-on brand name, their stuff always cost twice what other (comparable IMO) brands cost.

Great find!

Personally i have not had the need for 3/4 drive set since i left the oil field yrs ago.

Where do you plan to use it?

BB

Great find!

Personally i have not had the need for 3/4 drive set since i left the oil field yrs ago.

Where do you plan to use it?

BB

We don't really have much need for it either, anything we do that is that big is usually done with air tools, like driveshaft yokes on rearends or suspension components.

I talked to dad earlier and found the set has even more value to me... he bought it from my uncle when he retired as head mechanic at a ford tractor dealer in the 70s. That uncle was always a favorite of mine and died when I was 10, so even if we don't end up using it much i'll hang on to it.

Nice. All I will find at in Dad's shop is Harbor freight goodies. Thats ok with me HF rules.

Nice. All I will find at in Dad's shop is Harbor freight goodies. Thats ok with me HF rules.

yeah he had quite a few that say "Taiwan" on one side and "chrome vanadium" on the other that probably came from HF. Most of those are going to the scrap yard :thumbsup:

Shit I thought you were gonna say you found $3000 in an old metal box.. that would've been cool.

Some of my work tools are snap-on. They are insanely expensive. You can get away with cheapies in some areas of wrenching for a living, but some you can not. I have had snap-on driver replace tools that were rusted..He has also replaced a ratchet with a bent handle, he said,, "so, How long a piece of pipe did ya have on this ratchet", I say,, O about 3 feet.....lol,,swapped it out with no further questions.

As far as needing the 3/4 drive,,, a man can NEVER have to many tools.IMO

JC

:thumbsup: yeah there's no question that a pipe was the culprit here too.

I gave the bar to one of our drivers who's got 40 grand in snap on tools... I figure he's got a bit more pull with the snap-on man than I do, hopefully he can get it replaced.

We don't really have much need for it either, anything we do that is that big is usually done with air tools, like driveshaft yokes on rearends or suspension components.

I talked to dad earlier and found the set has even more value to me... he bought it from my uncle when he retired as head mechanic at a ford tractor dealer in the 70s. That uncle was always a favorite of mine and died when I was 10, so even if we don't end up using it much i'll hang on to it.

That explains the heavy wear and tear on them.:thumbsup:

I've never bent a ratchet or breaker bar handle....always stripped out the gears or twisted off the drive head.

• Like 1

yeah I've never bent a craftsman breaker bar or ratchet either, but they're shaped to prevent bending I think.

This snap-on set is kinda different. The breaker bar head and ratchet head are just attachments to a solid 2ft round bar, like a jack handle but solid. Seems like it'd be awfully easy to bed and the twisted S shape its currently in concurs.

I have been buying Snap On tools a little bit at a time on ebay for the last couple of years to phase out my Craftsman stuff

Irritating to me when the chrome starts flaking on a newer craftsman socket the 2nd or 3rd time you use it. (but granted, that usually doesn't affect the usability--- i am a former aviation mechanic and am a little anal retentive about tools )

Good score, OP.

My driver who's got a large SO collection finally got around to showing the Snap on man the ratchet handle... no can do on the replacement he says, "its been abused" :ride: but he'd gladly sell me a new one.

I found a used one around the same vintage as this set and bought it online.

Craftsman's quality has fallen some over the years, but at least they'll still honor the warranty no questions asked, and you can be in and out of the store in 5 minutes with a new tool. SO seems to only take care of the pro mechanics at dealerships, for the rest of us its a hassle to track them down or meet them somewhere and then they probably wont cover the warranty anyway.

My driver who's got a large SO collection finally got around to showing the Snap on man the ratchet handle... no can do on the replacement he says, "its been abused" :lol: but he'd gladly sell me a new one.

I found a used one around the same vintage as this set and bought it online.

Craftsman's quality has fallen some over the years, but at least they'll still honor the warranty no questions asked, and you can be in and out of the store in 5 minutes with a new tool. SO seems to only take care of the pro mechanics at dealerships, for the rest of us its a hassle to track them down or meet them somewhere and then they probably wont cover the warranty anyway.

I'm not a pro anymore, and spend very little with any of the tool truck guys. Maybe $100 annually (mostly to replace lost tools that grow legs, I bet into my kids sandbox, but that's another story).

The local SO and Mac guys are really good. I got their cell numbers and will tell them what I'm needing (warranty 90% of the time) and they just drop on by on their route. If I'm not home, I leave the busted tool on top of my box and they take care of it, no questions asked.

Matco, he's another story....I'd say he's a Class A &%$#@!, but that would be insulted bags filled with douche. But the Matco Man in Sioux Falls will take care of my stuff for me.:ride:

I'd suggest finding a different SO rep and get a 2nd opinion.

yeah I wondered if the local guy was the problem. I thought about trying to send the handle in by mail and exchange it that way, apparently some have had good luck doing that and bypassing the truck guys.

CAUTION

Frequently inspect, clean, and lubricate all non-sealed ratchet mechanisms with light oil.

Do not replace worn parts individually; use entire contents of the service kit.

i think you should send in the whole kit and and they will replace the whole kit

CAUTION

Frequently inspect, clean, and lubricate all non-sealed ratchet mechanisms with light oil.

Do not replace worn parts individually; use entire contents of the service kit.

i think you should send in the whole kit and and they will replace the whole kit

Yeah I disassemble, clean and oil all my ratchets every few months.

The rest of the set is pretty much perfect except for a few minor rust pits and the box is pretty rusty. The handle is the only part thats bad. I like the vintage look of it, and the sentimental value. I plan to keep the bent handle just because its original and keeps the set complete, but I want a new one to make it usable too.

According to the date codes on the set, its a 1948 L-225 set, which is about right because my uncle bought it used in the mid 50s when he started working for Ford. Kinda cool its about the same year as my farmall.