Sign in to follow this  

Five Miles of Hell Trail, San Rafael Swell

Here is part 1, in a series of videos, as I ride the 5MOH trail alone.

I was in the area for ten days. This is my eighth ride day and my first time riding the 5MOH trail.

I will post the other 5MOH videos this week, in this thread. If you watch all the videos in this series, you will ride along with me on the entire 5MOH trail.

5MOH Part 1

Here is Part 1 of the Red Trail, which heads west from the Trailhead of 5MOH.

I join a group of great guys from Grand Junction, Co to avoid riding alone. The next day I returned to ride the 5MPH alone.

The Red Trail Part 1

Edited by Dave Wood
  • Like 2

that was some amazing terrain, I've never seen anything like that! Keep the vids coming

Come on with P3, I wanna see how you get up the CRUX...

What is the "Crux"?

I will post 5MOH part 3 in this thread, on Tuesday, May 3.

Five Miles of Hell Part 3

More to come.

5MOH Part 4 will be posted in this thread on Wednesday...

Haha, you found an easy line on the Crux... I've seen guys beat thier bikes to death trying to get up that. Many give up and lift their bikes up the rox..

I think they lied to you. I don't think that was a trail. I think they just sent you off out into a nasty stretch of desert

Excellent video's. 5MOH is the toughest trail that I have ridden...but I'm old.

Nice job, I'm sure I see some old bones and half bottle of whisky at :40. Brave man doing that alone.

Nitto! Why wouldn't you take a riding partner? Did you have a spot device?

A) Ever plan a riding trip and have one or more riders not show up?

:thumbsup: A group of riders that I would join for a ride later in the day knew where I was and in the event I did not meet them by a certain time, they would have come looking, maybe?

C) In order to meet the group for an afternoon ride I needed to ride, not wait and help others.

D) I think those of you who ride machine groomed Quad routes at the poorly managed OHV areas like Gorman, Hollister, Prairie City, Metcalf, Stonyford, Upper Lake, Foresthill...on a weekend, holiday or any other time, are the ones that endanger your own lives. High speed, signed trails, with squids riding over there head, eyes fixed on the three feet in front of ones fender. Many of you "trust" "One-Way" routes to protect you from the head-on or try to convince others that one-way routes make you safer are the ones that are risk and endanger others.

I would rather ride alone, on a technical single track trail, in which the likelihood of a head-on is nearly zero, than ride at any of the above mentioned squid pits. Great place to watch Life Flight fly in and out of!

E) I could do 2/3 less trail clearing, if I only rode with a buddy. I have been clearing trails for 20 plus years, alone. Talk about extreme risk. Ever see what a chainsaw can do to the human body?

F) Had a phone with me and it worked out in the middle of no where. Not sure how I would dial out if I was unconscious? But those rocks were all made of nice soft foam anyways...

G) Of course, I would have preferred my friends being able to come ride with me. Naturally you do not have many friends when you take them were I like to ride. Most consider a day riding with me to be a "Flogging", they say its not riding...

H) I did make it back and rode over a 100 miles later in the day with the other group, I was ready to ride more but they had a social event planned at the campfire. I am not a "Social" rider. I go to ride multiple days. I enjoy exploration of "new" to me, trails and areas. Many riders today are not up to long, hard rides, over many days. For them riding is more of a social event. Riding around the same old loop and hoping the trail tractor knocked down the bumps recently. I am really glad so many of you enjoy that kind of riding. :confused: That way riders like me, seldom see other riders out on the trails we enjoy.

By the way, it was ride day 5 that I almost did get really screwed! Riding alone on my Dual Sport bike, 16 miles up a rocky jeep road. Guess I don't need to tell you it was a "Rocky" jeep road in Moab, since rocks are everywhere. It was a Wednesday and I am 16 miles up some canyon. The master link snaps, no big deal, I carry extras...well I thought I had one.

Nope!

30 minutes later, a rider on a DRZ400, from Minnesota rides up. Has a Master link and we buddy up for the rest of that ride. Really glad he decided to go ride alone that day. I would not have wanted to call my dad on the cell phone and have him drive out and pick me up. He would have wrecked my truck on that jeep road...

Did another 100 mile day alone, in Canyonlands National Park. Lots of great photos. Scenic, but talk about a boring ride...I think the speed limit is 15mph? Took more than 200 photos and made it back for lunch, I think I may have been 2-3 mph over the speed limit? I see why you guys like tractor routes. The National Park service was grading the road in front of me. When your eyes water, with your goggles on...:worthy:

Case in point on Saturday I was riding at a private facility...all one way trails. Very decent, well managed place IMO with well marked trails, but you can't control what other people do. Met someone unexpectedly on the trail going the wrong way looking perplexed/confused. No issue because of where we met, but lots of blind hills/turns, could have been bad if different timing. Easy to let your guard down because you are not looking for oncoming traffic when on "one way" trials.

A) Ever plan a riding trip and have one or more riders not show up?

:thumbsup: A group of riders that I would join for a ride later in the day knew where I was and in the event I did not meet them by a certain time, they would have come looking, maybe?

C) In order to meet the group for an afternoon ride I needed to ride, not wait and help others.

D) I think those of you who ride machine groomed Quad routes at the poorly managed OHV areas like Gorman, Hollister, Prairie City, Metcalf, Stonyford, Upper Lake, Foresthill...on a weekend, holiday or any other time, are the ones that endanger your own lives. High speed, signed trails, with squids riding over there head, eyes fixed on the three feet in front of ones fender. Many of you "trust" "One-Way" routes to protect you from the head-on or try to convince others that one-way routes make you safer are the ones that are risk and endanger others.

I would rather ride alone, on a technical single track trail, in which the likelihood of a head-on is nearly zero, than ride at any of the above mentioned squid pits. Great place to watch Life Flight fly in and out of!

E) I could do 2/3 less trail clearing, if I only rode with a buddy. I have been clearing trails for 20 plus years, alone. Talk about extreme risk. Ever see what a chainsaw can do to the human body?

F) Had a phone with me and it worked out in the middle of no where. Not sure how I would dial out if I was unconscious? But those rocks were all made of nice soft foam anyways...

G) Of course, I would have preferred my friends being able to come ride with me. Naturally you do not have many friends when you take them were I like to ride. Most consider a day riding with me to be a "Flogging", they say its not riding...

H) I did make it back and rode over a 100 miles later in the day with the other group, I was ready to ride more but they had a social event planned at the campfire. I am not a "Social" rider. I go to ride multiple days. I enjoy exploration of "new" to me, trails and areas. Many riders today are not up to long, hard rides, over many days. For them riding is more of a social event. Riding around the same old loop and hoping the trail tractor knocked down the bumps recently. I am really glad so many of you enjoy that kind of riding. :confused: That way riders like me, seldom see other riders out on the trails we enjoy.

By the way, it was ride day 5 that I almost did get really screwed! Riding alone on my Dual Sport bike, 16 miles up a rocky jeep road. Guess I don't need to tell you it was a "Rocky" jeep road in Moab, since rocks are everywhere. It was a Wednesday and I am 16 miles up some canyon. The master link snaps, no big deal, I carry extras...well I thought I had one.

Nope!

30 minutes later, a rider on a DRZ400, from Minnesota rides up. Has a Master link and we buddy up for the rest of that ride. Really glad he decided to go ride alone that day. I would not have wanted to call my dad on the cell phone and have him drive out and pick me up. He would have wrecked my truck on that jeep road...

Did another 100 mile day alone, in Canyonlands National Park. Lots of great photos. Scenic, but talk about a boring ride...I think the speed limit is 15mph? Took more than 200 photos and made it back for lunch, I think I may have been 2-3 mph over the speed limit? I see why you guys like tractor routes. The National Park service was grading the road in front of me. When your eyes water, with your goggles on...:worthy:

You are definitely my kind of rider, we would have fun riding together.

I agree with line (D) as I have always preferred the tech stuff, and hate the groomed stuff.

I have done some rides by myself too, it's just not as fun when you don't have some to share in the fun. My biggest concern is that anything can go wrong as you know, and if I break something on me or my bike, well you know the rest.

I have never been to Moab, but I have always wanted to ride 5MOH ever since I heard of it. I loooove riding rocks especially those kind, as you get so much traction and they don't move around like the stuff I used to race in. They make me feel like a trials rider when you can go straight up those faces with step-ups and such. I tell guys that are skiddish on rocks, how easy it really is if you just keep the momentum and stay committed.

Anyway, good times right there and thanks for the video of the whole trail. Maybe someday I can get over there and ride it for myself.

Five Miles of Hell Trail Part 5

I rather your riding as well. It's interesting figuring and picking lines etc. Anyone can go fast down a road ....Those kinds of trails are fun but they don't work as far as fulfillment..got to have some technical stuff at least mixed in for sure.............. You're showing some nice vids. I keep looking at the different rock lines and where I might have chosen to place my front wheel....:thumbsup::confused: