Sign in to follow this  

IT465 motor, now for the rest.....

My dream of owning the big brother to my IT250J, is now a distinct possibility. I have purchased a 99% complete 465 motor that was originally destined for a go-kart! I already had a tank, a gear lever and handlebars, the quest for the rest has begun.......

Cheers,

Chrisko.

MyIT465motorparts.jpg

ebay is your friend....

but why not just buy a whole bike? you can pick them up for 2g?

ebay is your friend....

but why not just buy a whole bike? you can pick them up for 2g?

Too true, so are dedicated forums. I thought about a complete purchase, but I relish a challenge and gain enormous satisfaction making things piece by piece. I've fully restored two bikes in the last year, which stretched funds fairly thin. Having said that, love to get hold of a complete IT25OJ roller and plonk my motor in it. Eventually I really want a personalized setup, so not necessarily stock for this ride. I'd like a late 90's front end for starters....

Haven't seen a 465 under $2500 recently, not complete anyway. Reserves have not been met by bidders in most cases. Has not been a constant vigilent search however........

Cheers,

Chrisko.

Too true, so are dedicated forums. I thought about a complete purchase, but I relish a challenge and gain enormous satisfaction making things piece by piece. I've fully restored two bikes in the last year, which stretched funds fairly thin. Having said that, love to get hold of a complete IT25OJ roller and plonk my motor in it. Eventually I really want a personalized setup, so not necessarily stock for this ride. I'd like a late 90's front end for starters....

Haven't seen a 465 under $2500 recently, not complete anyway. Reserves have not been met by bidders in most cases. Has not been a constant vigilent search however........

Cheers,

Chrisko.

I have thought about dropping one of those in a 250F frame. I figure the finned head would fit under the tank of a 4t.

I have thought about dropping one of those in a 250F frame. I figure the finned head would fit under the tank of a 4t.

Not too sure where the frames downtubes are on the 4t's.

The earlier J model 2t are good to go with a IT465H or J using a YZ490 barrel with a centre port. Yamaha are a parts bin manufacturer, good for getting old bikes up and running by swapping components over......like adding a later front end with UD forks and discs.

Chrisko.

some good buys if you weren't on the other side of the world

Oooh yeah, pains us to see some of the bikes offered up for the prices asked. And some of those barn finds are just ridiculous.

The shipping would quadruple the price of the $600 one.

A 450 Ducati desmo over here cost over 20k, I have been after one the day after I sold mine in 1979.......

Chrisko.

...Yamaha are a parts bin manufacturer, good for getting old bikes up and running by swapping components over...
Amen, Doc!

Some people distain new bikes being built with carryover parts already in the stockpile, but as years go by it sure makes restoring (and updating!) old bikes a much easier task. :worthy::thumbsup:

Good luck with your build. :confused::busted:

Edited by CaptDan
Fixed spelling (or was it typing?) error.

I have a long history with IT's, I had a 1980 IT125 that had IT250 front forks, IT250 rear shock and several other mods, including a bigger carb and other 'in the day' was really neat.

I have to say, the IT125 was a great bike, then I bought a used 1983 IT175 and it was even better. The IT200 was the ultimate back then for woods, my how time have changed. The KDX200's back then were nice as well, when I see a IT200 I remember seeing them on the bike shop floors when I was younger.

My dad had a 1978 IT250 back in the day, it was a beast to man-handle it was a tank.

I think I had a Yamaha IT obsession, I assembled a chronology of ALL of the IT's, had all of the brochures, bike magazines and so on. Still have all of it, just I am turning 40 this year and it seems like yesterday.

In High School, my Chemistry project was the mixture of oil & gas different rations and the effects of them.

Guess it is a sing of getting older, but a LOT of GREAT memories of riding, how time flies by.

:thumbsup: I still ride today, but nothing like I did in the past, I would go through lots of VP & oil and parts...

I fondly remember a local hotshoe airing out a it175 and completely demoralizing a field of 125 intermediates back in 82 or 83. It left a big impression, as I was only 10 or 11yo

Things have progressed very well....

Have acquired a 250J frame with compliance plate.

465 swing arm with chain guide and blocks

And a springless shock. (the shocky needs a spring, new hose and re-gassing)

A set of '85 KX125 forks and triple clamps, plus a set of 250J triple clamps.

A rough tank and sidecovers.

YZ250J seat base.

Set of footpegs and mounts, a brake lever too.

A headlight and number plate and front guard.

Speedo mount.

A 465 exhaust chamber and header pipe (to be joined).

A converted 250J wiring loom and hand switch block.

An airbox requiring the lid and strap.

I have the basket and a filter already as a spare.

Even got some indicators.

A rear guard.

Handle bars and lever mounts.

520 X-Ring chain.

Front wheel (a goldy), but needs bearings swapped out to fit KX axle.

A new Brembo caliper and pads.

An alloy gear lever.

Fuel tap.

Carby body minus float bowl.

And I spotted a muffler today that I pick up during the week.

Then I need a complete rear wheel and sprocket.

Front disc.

Master cylinder.

Speedo and cable.

Levers and cables.

Tailight and switch.

Inner rear guard.

Rest of the carby

...and all manner of things that fill in the spaces in between all that lot.

I'm a happy chappy....

Cheers,

Chrisko.

My dad had a 1978 IT250 back in the day, it was a beast to man-handle it was a tank.

Yeah, I think they may have been then. Basically a bike in between the DT and the YZ. Tried to do too much, didn't quite cut it but started a strong development curve to gain a leading edge. The early and mid 80's were seriously good bikes...still are too for those who have looked after them.

My 250J is the ultimate dirt bike for me still and the IT465 project is just it's big brother. I got other bikes for differing dirt styles, at my age...full motocross is out!!

More progress:thumbsup:

I now have a front wheel. And some spare plastics that can be salvaged for riding.

Found some stateside fiddly bits and some good leads on new carbies, just gotta sort out the shipping prices:banghead:

A broken kickstart idler gear was found behind the mint condition clutch of my motor I purchased. I have a replacement gear on its way. Gaskets and templates are being made as I go.

Progress is swift with more horsepower at hand.....:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Chrisko.

Well I have everything I need bar a nos throttle cable and some fuel/oil, oh, maybe some bits and pieces like bolts etc. When they have arrived from all over the world, I will set up a pic.

I will have a rest while I wait for the "rest", then I can do my best!

Cheers,

Chrisko.

Things have progressed very well....

Have acquired a 250J frame with compliance plate.

465 swing arm with chain guide and blocks

And a springless shock. (the shocky needs a spring, new hose and re-gassing)

A set of '85 KX125 forks and triple clamps, plus a set of 250J triple clamps.

A rough tank and sidecovers.

YZ250J seat base.

Set of footpegs and mounts, a brake lever too.

A headlight and number plate and front guard.

Speedo mount.

A 465 exhaust chamber and header pipe (to be joined).

A converted 250J wiring loom and hand switch block.

An airbox requiring the lid and strap.

I have the basket and a filter already as a spare.

Even got some indicators.

A rear guard.

Handle bars and lever mounts.

520 X-Ring chain.

Front wheel (a goldy), but needs bearings swapped out to fit KX axle.

A new Brembo caliper and pads.

An alloy gear lever.

Fuel tap.

Carby body minus float bowl.

And I spotted a muffler today that I pick up during the week.

Then I need a complete rear wheel and sprocket.

Front disc.

Master cylinder.

Speedo and cable.

Levers and cables.

Tailight and switch.

Inner rear guard.

Rest of the carby

...and all manner of things that fill in the spaces in between all that lot.

I'm a happy chappy....

Cheers,

Chrisko.

Are you going to be using these on the bike? I've never ridden a 465, but I have an 87 KX125 and the forks are a bit undersprung even for the 125 motor....Not sure if the forks were the same on the older 500s, but if they are then you should definitely try to find some of those springs. You may find yourself disappointed with the 125 forks.

Are you going to be using these on the bike? I've never ridden a 465, but I have an 87 KX125 and the forks are a bit undersprung even for the 125 motor....Not sure if the forks were the same on the older 500s, but if they are then you should definitely try to find some of those springs. You may find yourself disappointed with the 125 forks.

They have already been on a 490 as far as I know and have been resprung. I have the choice of three types of front ends and will eventually get it right for me. Thanks for the heads up though.

Cheers,

Chrisko.