Sign in to follow this  

Should I go back to the stock exhaust?

I picked up an 02 DRZ400s recently and finally have it road worthy. The PO did the 3X3 mod, rejetted it, and put on a white brothers exhaust. The exhaust is extremely loud. I am not too worried about it for the street but my goal is to do some trail riding with it and for that I would like it to be quieter and I am pretty sure I need a spark arrestor in some places.

Would it be a bad idea to go back to the stock exhaust? Would I have to rejet? If so, what exhaust and spark arrestor could I put on there and keep the jetting?

Ah, thanks for the link. I wrote down the jet sizes when I cleaned the carb - I will have to compare it to that list.

I have been keeping my eye out for a stocker on my local CL but haven't seen much on there. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs, I would be more than willing to take it.

Make sure you get an E exhaust header. It's a larger diameter, and will give you a noticeable gain in power. I just sold my E header a couple of days ago, but I do have the rest of the exhaust, including the muffler and a stock end cap.

I don't know if an E muffler will bolt up to your S though.

Steve

And another thing. The Muzzy exhaust is relatively inexpensive and does give you a nice gain in power. It comes with a removable spark arrestor and quiet insert. With both of them in there, it has a great sound and is pretty quiet. Opened up sounds great, but too loud for off road.

Something to think about.

Steve

Make sure you get an E exhaust header. It's a larger diameter, and will give you a noticeable gain in power. I just sold my E header a couple of days ago, but I do have the rest of the exhaust, including the muffler and a stock end cap.

I don't know if an E muffler will bolt up to your S though.

Steve

Do you happen to know what diameter the E header is? I think the one on the bike is about 1.5" in diameter. Are you wanting to get rid of your exhaust?

I am, but like I said, I don't know if it's the same as the S or SM. I think it's slightly different.

I don't know the diameter. Search and I'm sure you'll find it.

Steve

E header is slighter larger (1.75" I think, but search to do a confirm)

E muffler inside is the same as a S/SM on in the states. The only difference is the E mates to the larger diameter header pipe and the midpipe mounting bolt is in a slightly different place.

If you do not have an exhaust and have a choice, get the E system. A little more Hp than the s/SM (about .5 hp). But I would not bust a nut over finding an E one or if you have the original S one.

I found a full oem exhaust off of a 2005 SM locally for $75 but the owner isn't sure if if it has the spark arrestor in it or not. I am not sure what I am looking for - does anyone have a picture of what the stock arrestor looks like?

I found a full oem exhaust off of a 2005 SM locally for $75 but the owner isn't sure if if it has the spark arrestor in it or not. I am not sure what I am looking for - does anyone have a picture of what the stock arrestor looks like?

It is part of the end cap, you need to remove the end cap and it is right there on the back side of the end cap. If it has had the hole saw mod to it you should be able to see it just looking in the end with a flashlight. Without the mod I don't know if you can see it thru the tiny little hole in the back.

It is part of the end cap, you need to remove the end cap and it is right there on the back side of the end cap. If it has had the hole saw mod to it you should be able to see it just looking in the end with a flashlight. Without the mod I don't know if you can see it thru the tiny little hole in the back.

I asked if he saw a mesh screen inside and he didn't seem to see anythign although he said the hole was small and hard to see through - only about 3/4"

Stick a pen or something in the end of the muffler... if it only goes in 3 or 4 inches then gets stopped there's a spark arrestor in there. If it doesn't get stopped try not to drop anything in there haha.

You want a full stock end cap not one that has been hacked up. A modded end cap will have more noise with no added performance. The end cap is worth more the the whole rest of the muffler. You can tell if the spark arrestor screen is in place by pitting a probe (stick) in the exhaust tip. 5 1/2 inches, the screen is there. More than that, the screen has been removed.

Also, I don't think the stock E exhaust will bolt right up to an S. One of the mounting tabs is in a different spot.