Sign in to follow this  

Dr650?

I am looking at buying a 05 dr650... it has 2600 km's and looks mint. This will be my first bike since i was younger but i don't think i will have any problems riding again. I was looking for a drz400 but i cant find any and this is a good deal. I have two questions... will i regret buying this over the 400? once i get my license i will probably be riding mostly street. Also i am 16 and just getting my motorcycle license (already have my car license), does anybody have an idea on what insurance will cost? thanks!

I am looking at buying a 05 dr650... it has 2600 km's and looks mint. This will be my first bike since i was younger but i don't think i will have any problems riding again. I was looking for a drz400 but i cant find any and this is a good deal. I have two questions... will i regret buying this over the 400? once i get my license i will probably be riding mostly street. Also i am 16 and just getting my motorcycle license (already have my car license), does anybody have an idea on what insurance will cost? thanks!

If you are riding mostly street you will not regret getting the DR650 over the DRZ400. I have both machines in my garage.... the DRZ is not nearly the street savy machine that the DR650 is.

DR-650 if you will ride mainly on the street, although it is quite respectable on the dirt.

DRZ-400 is more dirt oriented.

Flea

thanks for the comments guys... once i get my license it will probably be my ride back and forth to school on nice days. Definitely will be doing some dirt riding but nothing more then normal trails. My only concern is insurance cost because i will be paying for it myself.

Here in the U.S. I don't think there would be a difference in insurance for the 250cc difference. I pay $55 a year for liability for a 650. They tend to base insurance rates on replacement cost for total loss and accident rates for the bike. Unlike some countries that take engine size more into concideration. The 650 is better for the street but that's about it. The Drz is better in everything else.

Here in the U.S. I don't think there would be a difference in insurance for the 250cc difference. I pay $55 a year for liability for a 650. They tend to base insurance rates on replacement cost for total loss and accident rates for the bike. Unlike some countries that take engine size more into concideration. The 650 is better for the street but that's about it. The Drz is better in everything else.

I just want to get a general estimate on what i will be paying yearly because obviously since i am 16 its going to be a bit higher... I would like to get a 400 for sure but here in Newfoundland unless you buy new you don't have a lot of options unfortunately and used bikes hold their value well here. So i will take what i can get i guess :thumbsup:. Also can anyone suggest some websites for mods? I want to look into it.

i just turned 17 (the age required to get a driving liecence in the uae) and im getting my dr650 about 2 months from now (when school finishes ) COUNTING THE DAYS,,,,..

btw to whoever says the dr650 is not dirt capable check out this vid at 1:00

this convinced me that its 80% rider 20% bike

I'm not impressed with that. A good rider could do that little hill on a steet bike. I've ridden a lot of bikes in the last 30 years and my dr is probally the worst in the dirt. If you can ride a dr in the dirt there isn't anything you can't handle in the dirt.

IMHO DR650 is a better all round bike than the DRZ400S. I've had them both. I can go anywhere with my DR that went with my DRZ. Yes the DR is heavy but the DRZ is heavy and tall. That to me is worse. The DR out pulls the DRZ and the seat doesn't feel like a board. Honestly neither are dirt bikes. I have a KTM, Husky and a Honda for that. But given that to me the real value of a DS is the ability to take a long haul on both dirt and pavement. The DR does it better.