new chain help

Im installing a new chain on my 450 and have always used masterlinks on all my other smaller bikes,this o-ring chain Im assuming needs to be pressed on ,can someone expain how to do this properly thanks

you need a rivit link kit.. RK is a good one, $75 or so.

A chain press with a riveting tool is required. When pressing on the side link, I use a micrometer to match the width of the adjacent chain links before peening over the rivets. This ensures that you get the proper crush on the seals at the master link. This is critical.

Or just go buy a o-ring master link with a clip for $5.99, thats what I did

im just going to buy a reg masterlink , Ive personally never had a problem with one coming off , and my luck i wouldnt rivet it good enough and it would take a case out

im just going to buy a reg masterlink , Ive personally never had a problem with one coming off , and my luck i wouldnt rivet it good enough and it would take a case out

I would not use a regular masterlink. It, and the links it's connected to, will wear out much faster than rest of the chain. If you are using a DID 520VT2, there is an optional clip style master link available that utilizes x-ring seals.

I would not use a regular masterlink. It, and the links it's connected to, will wear out much faster than rest of the chain. If you are using a DID 520VT2, there is an optional clip style master link available that utilizes x-ring seals.

.. for sure.. i didn't realize when he said "regular" masterlink he was gonna get a non o-ring master link. Defeats the entire purpose of getting the more expensive 0-ring chain in the first place.

$5 or so you can get either a rivet or clip style o/x-ring master link for your chain.

No no I meant an o-ring link , i have an rk xso chain that came w/rivet type i'll get the o-ring clip masterlink for that chain 13 bucks

No no I meant an o-ring link , i have an rk xso chain that came w/rivet type i'll get the o-ring clip masterlink for that chain 13 bucks

see if you can borrow someones rivit link kit. A rivit link won't ever fail if installed properly. There are videos on youtube, info in this forum and others, it is pretty easy. The pin that mushrooms the end of the pin is nearly fool proof, once the little end goes in and the end of the pin mushrooms, you can't twist it in any further.. As mentioned in earlier posts, eyeball or better yet, use a caliper to determine if your side plate is pressed on enough. If you press it too much, the o-ring squishes and could wear it very fast.. you can use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry if open a tad if you do that.

.. or just get a clip style.. but beware, you can **** up a clip farily easily too. If it is a curved spring clip, be sure the "innie" part is pushing on the side plate.

Havvnt I read on here that the VT/VT2 are the only O-Ring chains that will fit without modification/spacing? I know on 04-2 they had an O-Ring chain and it has slightly worn into the case. Not enought to worry about but it did.

Joe

Havvnt I read on here that the VT/VT2 are the only O-Ring chains that will fit without modification/spacing? I know on 04-2 they had an O-Ring chain and it has slightly worn into the case. Not enought to worry about but it did.

Joe

i have ran multiple brands of expensive o-ring chains (i go through 2 or more a year). I won't bother with cheap ones. When they are a bit wider, i flip the countershaft sprocket. Problem solved.. :thumbsup:

Joe

I've heard that RK makes a narrow sealed chain too, but I've had such good luck with the VT2 chains that I've stuck with them. Before that, I ran the wider DID 520VM with a .015" thick series 100 auto valve spring shim behind the countershaft sprocket. It's a great chain but I like the narrower VT2 better, because I am not a fan of offsetting the chain line.

I've heard that RK makes a narrow sealed chain too, but I've had such good luck with the VT2 chains that I've stuck with them. Before that, I ran the wider DID 520VM with a .015" thick series 100 auto valve spring shim behind the countershaft sprocket. It's a great chain but I like the narrower VT2 better, because I am not a fan of offsetting the chain line.

Yes, RK has a narrow o-ring (x-ring,whatever.. LOL). GB520mxu/120 links. Retail price from Vortexracing.com is $109. (they support racers, if ya race, send in a resume!) When it arrived i had to look very closely to verify it actually was a sealed chain. It has held up very very nicely and it is narrower than the typical o-rings i use on roadrace bikes with the same 520 pitch.

Now im really confused! I thought the VT/VT2 were the narrow chains! Do these require a shim or sprocket flip?

i have ran multiple brands of expensive o-ring chains (i go through 2 or more a year). I won't bother with cheap ones. When they are a bit wider, i flip the countershaft sprocket. Problem solved.. :thumbsup:

whats your favourite chain for quality and reliability?

Now im really confused! I thought the VT/VT2 were the narrow chains! Do these require a shim or sprocket flip?

The VT, and it's replacement, the VT2 are the narrow DID x-ring chains, and they do not require any shims to clear the case.

The VM is a wider x-ring chain that was popular before the VT/VT2 became available. It is actually a street bike chain and it does require offsetting the countershaft sprocket to clear the case.

whats your favourite chain for quality and reliability?

The EK SRX 520-120 gold chain w/ rivit link was ok ($79 retail through www.pit-bull.com ) i get roadracing contingency through them and got a couple with that. The EK MVXZ 520-120 gold is a bit more, $109 retail.. The EK chains come with 2 metal "templates" that you place into the master link that keeps you from pressing the plate on too much.. Kind of a nice touch.. you just pull em out when your done.

The RK GB 520mxu as i posted earlier is very nice.. Also $109 retail..probably my fav chain for dirt (would prefer a rivit link though) and is a narrower chain using very thin o-rings. This thing has less rolling resistance than other 520 chains with bigger o/x rings. I don't think that matters too much once it warms a little from riding, but i have 3 harescramble races and +- 40 additional woods riding hours on it. Holding up very very nice.

ANY DID chain is good if your paying upwards of $75 retail..I got a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from DID when the erv2 chain was updated to erv3 and the pile of rivit links for my erv2 would no longer work on the erv3 (pin was bigger, too tight).

I got a Regina from RMATV on sale for $70 i think, wider like the EK SRX and EK MVXZ but still nice.

I only get gold color chains for the "bling" factor too :thumbsup: Any top brand if it's over $75 retail should be fine. The $100+ chains DO seem to last a little longer but they ALL wear out if you ride enough, even if your scrubbing it and sprying a can of lube every moto..