Sign in to follow this  

Tool Kit

I'm putting together a tool kit to bring along on rides. I was wondering what tools people usually bring. Obviously sockets, wrenchs, screwdriver, fuse etc. etc. Since I will be buying all new stuff I would like to keep it simple and not get more or less than I need. Just wanted to hear others suggestions or if there are any specific tools needed for the 230. Thanks.

I'm putting together a tool kit to bring along on rides. I was wondering what tools people usually bring. Obviously sockets, wrenchs, screwdriver, fuse etc. etc. Since I will be buying all new stuff I would like to keep it simple and not get more or less than I need. Just wanted to hear others suggestions or if there are any specific tools needed for the 230. Thanks.

Just normal set of wrenches plus special axel wrench with 17 & 22 (or what ever rear is) Front tube, tire irons, air bottels and hand pump.

After 5 years and 5-10k Mi, I don't think I ever worked on my 230 on the trail.

vise grip... if your clutch, gear, brake lever breaks.. and you need to ride home

vise grip... if your clutch, gear, brake lever breaks.. =)

Never never ever ever broke one after aluminum lever protectors came out. Only great use of vice grips I ever saw was a guy who lost his rear axel nut on Mex2Can. He also made a chain out of cable ties to make sure he didn't then lose his wrench.

Depends on how much you want to carry but for a casual days riding I keep it light. A light weight socket set with the sizes for your bike, vice grips (with wire cutters), screw driver (I usually carry one that I can pry with and use as a chisel), plug and plug wrench. There are no shortage of rocks to use for a hammer. You might laugh but I carry a couple different plugs one for my four stroke and one for a two stroke - I have lost count of the two strokes I have ran across with fouled plug and no replacement. Duct tape (wrap it around one of the screw drivers so you don't have to carry the whole roll, zip ties and some wire. Although very rarely needed a master link is light and when you need one there is no substitute. A rag. In terms of tire irons, etc... depends on how far out you are going, where we ride I can ride out on a flat. Of course the best tool is a riding buddy....

definitely want to have a wrench or socket/ratchet to lossen the back axle,was out riding my 150 one day had the chain adjusted right and everything and a big stick happen to flick up and got in between the sprocket and the chain and of course took the chain right off,but of a pain in the ass to get a chain back on that was adjusted fairly tight on their before without tools:(

I take with me the following:

-screwdrivers needed to get the side panel off and get to the air filter and bolts that hold down the seat

-spark plug/plug wrench

-a socket set with 6-11mm for all the small stuff

-a 15mm socket for the seat

-rag

-slot screwdriver for prying and stuff

all of this fits in my camelback