Be careful out there

met this guy while waiting for a friend. I asked him if he wanted to join us, he said yes. We went over the canyon once with me leading. On the way back I let him pass. I let him have a little distance as I didn't really like his riding. A little to out of control. His third mistake took him out. His leg was pinned between his bike and the guard rail. I couldn't get him out, it took five guys digging and pulling to get his foot out. I think he's lucky with just the cut and a broken femur.

here's the video (I tired to embed and can't)

Wow, that looks like it hurt. He is really lucky though. You guys were flying though. That's why I don't ride like that on the streets.

Thanks for sharing. It's good to see.

Steve

I counted more than three mistakes.

Edited by nucular
can't spell

Years ago I was riding with some friends, one of the guys went into the Armco like that, but going a lot faster. The impact severed his leg, and crushed his heart. I rode in the ambulance with him, and a couple days later was one of his pallbearers. The saddest day of my life. Be VERY careful, and don't be stupid.

Well three big ones :thumbsup: likr I said he was pushing a little too hard for his skill.

his ambition outweighed his talent on a few occasions there. very very lucky

his ambition outweighed his talent on a few occasions there. very very lucky

the original edit had that in the credits. took it out because i thought people might think i was insensitive.

I may sound like a party pooper but riding like that needs to saved for the track. When he crossed over the center stripe he could have ruined somebody else's life.

Let's not kick the guy while he's down. He already paid for his mistakes/poor judgement. Hopefully he'll be able to ride more responsibly in the future. Here's some good wishes going his way.

corrrr deary me that was eye watering

really made me feel ill,them metal bariers are well know to rip bikers apart.....

poor guy,wouldnt wish that on anybody......

I've been tempted to show off when riding with someone new. I have to keep telling myself, I have nothing to prove.

Glad he lived.

How about we learn from this.

Obviously he was too hot into the turn. But what exactly did he do wrong? What caused the back end to step out? If you find yourself too fast into a turn, what is the best way to correct the situation?

Steve

How about we learn from this.

Obviously he was too hot into the turn. But what exactly did he do wrong? What caused the back end to step out? If you find yourself too fast into a turn, what is the best way to correct the situation?

Steve

I know for an inexperienced rider, generally when you think you're too hot for a turn put in more countersteer and hold on for dear life, more than likely your bike is capable of more than you think it is and you go right thru the corner and just soil your pants. That got me thru a few turns when I was dumb and young. I try to not put myself in situations like that anymore.

I guess if you absolutely know you're going down straighten it up and grab brakes for life and at least get it slowed down as much as you can, but with a guardrail next to you I think I would opt for the countersteer and hope for no low side spill.

So I didn't get to watch the video before my previous post, it was too busy. Just watched it, so did he grab both brakes hard, rear causing him to go down? Too close to the guardrail and panicked? It looks like earlier in the video from behind on a right hand turn he washed the rear a little also, does he rear brake mid turn leaned?

So I didn't get to watch the video before my previous post, it was too busy. Just watched it, so did he grab both brakes hard, rear causing him to go down? Too close to the guardrail and panicked? It looks like earlier in the video from behind on a right hand turn he washed the rear a little also, does he rear brake mid turn leaned?

I saw that too. I watched that turn several times and thought the exact same thing. Watching his video, the first thing I thought was he was not smooth at all. A lot of shifting in turns also.

as far as i know, one should never brake in a turn like that. my dad drilled it into my head to just lean over more and never brake.

One good thing we can take away is that having good gear can save you some pain. I bet if he hadn't had the leathers and good boots on, that would've been a lot worse.

it so important to wear the correct gear,totally right.sometimes it will be the difference between life and death/losing limbs etc.

see idiots round my way in just t-shirt and shorts....nutters

it so important to wear the correct gear,totally right.sometimes it will be the difference between life and death/losing limbs etc.

see idiots round my way in just t-shirt and shorts....nutters

That injury looks horrible. Thanks for the reminder to be more careful.