Sign in to follow this  

Husky TE 450 help...

Tried to start my bike the other night after swapping out my bars. Fuel pump primes, starter cranks well, but it just wont turn over. After cranking for a bit, it gives a loud backfire. I am thinking it might be some sort of a short since I didn't touch anything with the engine. I also noticed that when I had the ignition turned on and I pulled the front brake lever, the indicators for the high beam and turn signals light up. I can't get it to fire up with the kick starter either. This all seems really odd to me. Anyone have any experience with this? Am I on the right track or is it an unrelated fuel/spark issue?

Thanks!

...I also noticed that when I had the ignition turned on and I pulled the front brake lever, the indicators for the high beam and turn signals light up.
This, based on my experience with European electrical systems in general, suggests to me that you have a ground wire disconnected "somewhere" on the bike.

Thanks guys! I managed to kill my battery in the process of trying to start it yesterday. Gonna charge it up and check those connections tonight. Hopefully that will solve it. I will keep you posted on what I find. I have a hunch it is something simple, but I am still crossing my fingers.

The kill switch works fine. Turns on the fuel pump and allows the starter to engage. That does not happen with the kill swithc engaged. I will check other connnections though.

Thanks.

when my 2005 TE 450 quit - acted like yours, turned out to be valves all out of whack. did the valve adjustment, fired right up!

Carl Johansson

Checked the fuses and they are fine. I am going to pull the plug and check for spark tonight, but I think you might be on to something with the valves. That will be my next step.