Sign in to follow this  

Emergency / tool kit. Matches?

I have a rear fender bag full of trail-side repair tools and materials, including a first aid kit in my hydration pack. I was going to buy a cool, camping, waterproof matches in a plastix box, then I wondered if I ever would even need them?

This may sound like an odd question, but has anyone who carries emergency matches or a lighter ever actually had to use it?

I wonder the same thing. I just pulled out my Ogieo Flight vest for the year, and i forgot how much it weighed! I have to go through it and see what is a 'must have'.

I have my matches in a little plastic bag. I heard about being able to dip a piece of shirt into the gas tank, and light her up with the spark plug. That's pretty hard up for flame, lol.

I let my buddy use my lighter to burn the crap off the spark plug on his yz one time, but that was it so far. Just remember, the time that you dont take it will be the time that you need it!:confused: I also carry a small solar blanket, container of iodine tablets for water purification, at least 1,000 calories of food, a small led flashlight and a good sized pocket knife (in addition to all my tools, spares and first aid.) The only time that I don't carry ALL of this is when I ride within shouting distance of the truck, or at the dunes.:thumbsup:

I too am one of the over prepared. But carrying 5lbs of survival gear is better than spending the night in the woods 30 miles from the truck without it!

I carry a fire starter and have never used it.

I'm the guy who always carries too much stuff. Funny, i rarely use it, but almost every single ride someone in the group needs something I an carrying. I don't carry matches, I figure they would degrade from all the bumping and vibration, so when I finally needed em they would be powder. I carry a flint and steel, if you know how to use it it is superior to matches and alot more durable. i saw one the other day in harbor freight and it even included a piece of hacksaw blade chained to it, so you wouldn't even need a knife! cost 2 bucks!

Carl "inspector gadget" Johansson

I'm the guy who always carries too much stuff. Funny, i rarely use it, but almost every single ride someone in the group needs something I an carrying.

Carl "inspector gadget" Johansson

I agree, this is why I bring all my crap with me. I just carry a small BIC lighter with me.

As for matches, my brother used to dip them into candle wax to make them waterproof.

I wouldn't waste my time with matches. Use it once and it's done... usually takes more than a few to get a fire started. When you're limited to the heat from a match, taking the time to get kindling set up and work your way up to bigger fuel becomes real important.

Firestarting equipment is kind of important to have when you're out snowmobiling... if I'm broke and need fire, i'm not screwing around with boy-scout tactics-- i'm going to start a damn fire. On a sled there's a 10-gallon fuel tank, plus I carry another 2.5gal jerry can on the back. Carry a few lighters on my sled, and a few more lighters in my pack. Can also pull a spark plug out and pull the motor over to get a spark to start a fire. Dunk a stick in the fuel tank and use a lighter or spark plug to get it going.

I also carry road flares, both on the sled and in my pack. About $10 for a 3-pack at the hardware store. Plastic cap has a striker on it, flare will burn really hot for 15 minutes and they're difficult to accidentally put out. Shows up real good on infrared if SAR's out looking for you. If you can't start a fire with this, you probably shouldn't be out in the backcountry to begin with.

Never had to use any of the above methods in an emergency situation... done it a few times in the parking lot though. I have no doubt that I could start a fire and keep warm overnight if I absolutely had to.

I do carry lighters and a flare or two when I'm on the motorcycle.

Wood + gasoline:

DSC05910.jpg

Add a match and you're set:

DSC05912.jpg

This may sound like an odd question, but has anyone who carries emergency matches or a lighter ever actually had to use it?

Of course. You may break down in the middle of nowhere and have to wait awhile for help. If you got matches you can sit back light up a fat joint and relax while help is on the way.

I heard about being able to dip a piece of shirt into the gas tank, and light her up with the spark plug. That's pretty hard up for flame, lol.

haha spike thats what we used to do as kids on our bikes and skidoos, however a branch works just as good, and is easier to control :thumbsup:

Edited by buzzard111

I carry a ziplock bag containing vaseline covered cotton balls and a magnesium starter. Starts a fire anywhere! Lighters always seem to fail me when I need them after getting wet. I read in a hunting mag that some take 2 shotgun shells, put matches inside, then slide the one shell over the other one and use a piece of tape around it. (Empty Shells Of course!) :thumbsup:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-to-make-petroleum-jelly-fire-starters/