1990 yz 125 clutch help!

I have a 90' yz 125. the bike has clutch issues. it slips weird no matter how its adjusted or if its adjusted too far it just dosen't work (un shiftable). But if i un-hook the cable and power shift it dose not slip at all. so the plates are fine, why when i hook up the cable does it slip, or not disengage far enough to shift. makes no sense is there something i dont see with this thing?

I have a 90' yz 125. the bike has clutch issues. it slips weird no matter how its adjusted or if its adjusted too far it just dosen't work (un shiftable). But if i un-hook the cable and power shift it dose not slip at all. so the plates are fine, why when i hook up the cable does it slip, or not disengage far enough to shift. makes no sense is there something i dont see with this thing?

You want to make sure that there is play in your cable. When you start to pull in the clutch, there should be at least 1/16" free play in between the clutch lever and the perch. If not, you will run into the problem that you are having.

Adjust the cable to get the free play and it should solve your problem.

For the metric guys, like me, a 1/16 of an inch is about 2mm :thumbsup:

I can't wait for the day that the US switches to the metric system. It will never happen though!!!

So i have the 1/16th adjsuted, now no more slip, thats good, but when you pull in the clutch to shift, it seems like its not pulling far enough and the bike chugs like you are half off the clutch. so no more slip, but now it seems like its not disengaging enough. i played with the adjsutment more nothing seems to make it an different, something inside make it be this weird?

Some how or another your clutch is not disengaging. I'm going to assume that you have 1/16" free play and not more than that.

This could be due to a few things:

-Incorrect perch and lever

-Bent clutch lever (hitting your bars before the clutch is disengaged)

-grooves in your clutch basket

-old thick oil in your transmission

-your push lever assembly needs adjusted

Try and check out a few of these. You can see the push lever assembly (#27)here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1990-yamaha-yz125a/o/m8814#sch137091

If the pin is getting worn out it can cause the problem that you are having.