Sign in to follow this  

how are the 4 speeds in the woods?

How are the 4 speed 2006's in the woods/offroad? I've been looking for a good 07 or newer 5 speed but they are either overpriced or too far away. On the other hand I've found some nice deals on some 2006's but I'm just leary of the 4 speed. If you go a tooth or 2 bigger on the rear does it kill your top end speed? I ride mostly single track and 4 wheeler type trails but some places have a lot of gravel road connections between trails and stuff like that and I don't like to rev out my bikes. Years back I had a 98 kx250 2 stroke and the 5 speed would run out of gears, will this 4 speed be the same or worse? Any help is appreciated.

It's not the choice I would make. The 4 speed is not a 5 speed with 5th gear missing: it 's a little wider ratio. Not so woods friendly. Sure, you could make it work, but a WR450 might kick it's ass....

Those earlier bikes are also stiffer frames, and more abrupt power delivery.

Not a big fan of the WR, KLX, CRFX, etc... and not to worried about the top speed drag racing either. My main concern is if I went up a tooth or two on the rear would 4th suffer severly or be managable like my kx250 was? Is there a big difference in 1st between the 06 and 07 kx?

Need the 5-speed so that you can gear down the bike. Your top speed is already going to be limited, couple that with shorter woods gearing and ur really gonna have a hard time keeping up.

I mean you will be ok in the tight woods, but if u are ever doing harescrambles, or even riding on trails that are connected by fields, roads, dirt roads, etc etc and u are riding with any of the 5 speed bikes ur gonna hate life.

And to add a lil to what Krannie said about the 4-speed (or even the 5-speed) gearing, its an MX bike so 1st gear is kinda tall, ur gonna wana shorten up the gearing for the woods it helps with flameouts and hill climbs, and just overall snappiness.

Cool I guess I'll continue my search for an 07 or newer. I was afraid of that, I recently rode an 2004 yz450 4 speed and it felt fine on the street with stock gearing but I was unsure how it would be adding a couple teeth on back. I've to talked to couple people that had them for sale and say they are fine but then again they wanted to sell me they're bike.

Weren't you one of the guys on pingertalk.com that would NEVER get a four stroke??? Pretty sure...

Regardless they are great bikes... The 4 speed works really well in the woods... It basically is a 5th gear stacked on top of the 4speed tranny... 2-4 gear have the same ratios. 1st gear is slightly lower on the 5 speeds, and 5th is just an added gear.

I dont think that I would let the tranny decide your purchase unless you do alot of high speed riding... A 4 speed kx with stock gearing will still go about 78mph when it hits the chip which is plenty fast for a dirtbike.

What type of woods riding? Trails? Or like pioneers blazing trails? I ride my 4 speed 06 on trails no problem what so ever. But in the super tight crazy offroad stuff, I stall a lot. Any bike can ride woods, just what you get use too. Save the money, buy it. Killer bike! And rips the hell out of the tracks.

I mainly ride single track with my 06, and love it. I actually end up shifting less just put it in 3rd for open trails and let her rip, or 2nd for handle bar sections. 1rst on the other hand is too short, revs out to fast. I recomend putting the 7oz. flywheel weight on. I am an aggresive b rider and love the 4 speed.

I recomend putting the 7oz. flywheel weight on.
What gearing you mostly using? I'd like to try a 7oz on my 06.

There are a couple of more open farms I ride at where 13:48T is the go on my 06. 4th is plenty fast, and the spaced out gearing is no issue for the engine torque, and so precise RPM placement is a non-issue on most natural terrain tracks.

I bit off topic I know ... on most MX tracks I'm back to 13:49 or even 13:50, just so I get get third in the right rev range. Mostly for the jumps, I like to hit them at about 1/2 revs in 3rd for best control in the air and landings. For me i's not just about drive and torque, it's the spinning inertia and also safety.

For MX I wish 2nd was a bit closer to 3rd, and 1st could be a lot taller, or just take 1st out all together. I never understand the concept of 1st gear on a 450 MXer, maybe it's for riding the bike back into the truck. :thumbsup:

I have an 06 4sp I've had since new and a 2010 that I also have have since new. Of course there is going to be a noticeable difference but I would'nt discourage you from getting the 4sp if the price is right, the biggest difference is between 2nd and 3rd and honestly I like the 4sp for woods more, just less shifting ( I guess I'm getting lazy ) I love the 5sp on the track though.

I just got an 05 yz450f and 06 kx450f, at first I was a little turned off by the 4 speed. Now after riding it for a few months I really like it. I do a lot of woods riding an like that I,m not shifting as much. I use a lot of 2nd gear and some 3rd for most of my riding. Just my opinion...

What type of woods riding? Trails? Or like pioneers blazing trails? I ride my 4 speed 06 on trails no problem what so ever. But in the super tight crazy offroad stuff, I stall a lot. Any bike can ride woods, just what you get use too. Save the money, buy it. Killer bike! And rips the hell out of the tracks.

I do a mix single track, 4 wheeler type trails, and yes some times we will spend half the day pioneer blazing trails or what I like to call brush busting. So with that being said I like a pretty low first gear for the real slow go stuff and that is where I'm afraid the I'll lose too much on top. Either way I've come across 2 bikes that I'm leaning towards and both are 5 speeds so I think I'm ok unless they both fall through.:thumbsup:

The bike isn't meant to be lugged around in 1st gear. It would get hot and be jerky as hell in a super tight setup. But you could manage!

I do a mix single track, 4 wheeler type trails, and yes some times we will spend half the day pioneer blazing trails or what I like to call brush busting. So with that being said I like a pretty low first gear for the real slow go stuff and that is where I'm afraid the I'll lose too much on top. Either way I've come across 2 bikes that I'm leaning towards and both are 5 speeds so I think I'm ok unless they both fall through.:thumbsup:
I'd forget the 06 then. For super low speed you'd be on the clutch all day. The 06 and 07 have light cranks and spin up fast. 06 also has the tallest 1st gear. For you riding, I'd say an 06 with Rekluse pro clutch, else forget the 06.

I'd forget the 06 then. For super low speed you'd be on the clutch all day. The 06 and 07 have light cranks and spin up fast. 06 also has the tallest 1st gear. For you riding, I'd say an 06 with Rekluse pro clutch, else forget the 06.

I found a couple 2007's I've been looking at. If I go that route I was thinking a FWW would help for any slow speed stuff I'd do.