Sign in to follow this  

Xr400 very slight movement on rear wheel??

When I have my Xr400 on the bike stand and grip the rear wheel, then pull hard from side to side there is a very slight movement...its only very very slight though is this normal? or does it mean the wheel bearing is on the way out?

I did a chain adjustment a few rides ago as it was becoming a little loose. However I made sure the wheel was tightened back to the correct torque and the chain adjustment guides were the same at both sides...so i assume this is not the problem as I followed the manual procedure...I never checked the wheel before as its my first bike and ive only done 300km on it so far.. :thumbsup:

Id be doing the wheel bearings,

there should be no sideways movement at all

Bearings are cheap, and its not a hard task,

Id be doing the wheel bearings,

there should be no sideways movement at all

Bearings are cheap, and its not a hard task,

+1 on wheel bearings

...and do yourself a favor - pop the seals on your new bearings and pack them with BelRay before your ride on them, then re-pack them a couple of times a season. More if you ride through a lot of water or mud. They'll last pretty much forever.

JayC

Thanks all....this could not have been caused by me adjusting the chain could it? The adjusters are both set to the same each side and is the correct tension as per the manual. Its possible I never noticed the wheel movement before anyway as I didn't check....

^^ Hard to say. But, your better off to loose than to tight. When the center of the front sprocket, swing arm pivot and rear axle are all in straight line you should have approx. 1/2" of up and down free play. That's the tightest the chain will ever see. You can either remove the rear shock and check it, then make your own reference point so you don't have to do it each time or use some straps to compress the rear suspension. To tight will be hard on the wheel bearings, counter shaft seals and of course chain and sprockets. To tight will also cause your rear suspension to not work properly.

^^ Hard to say. But, your better off to loose than to tight. When the center of the front sprocket, swing arm pivot and rear axle are all in straight line you should have approx. 1/2" of up and down free play. That's the tightest the chain will ever see. You can either remove the rear shock and check it, then make your own reference point so you don't have to do it each time or use some straps to compress the rear suspension. To tight will be hard on the wheel bearings, counter shaft seals and of course chain and sprockets. To tight will also cause your rear suspension to not work properly.

Yes I understand this, its not too tight im certain. I had a heavy friend sit on the bike and my weight also, there was still some slack in the chain. About 1/2inch....so its not too tight for sure....its only very slight movement,and when you wiggle the back wheel you can here it clicking....this must be the bearing...I will change it soon...but I'm sure its ok to ride for a little more time :thumbsup: