Sign in to follow this  

Thor "Ratchet" Boots

Picked up a new pair of Thor Ratchet boots on the weekend. I did not want to spend mega-bucks so selection was limited. I have not worn them on the bike yet but the buckle mechanism is awesome. I was also looking at AlpineStar Tech 3's but they were a PITA to buckle-up / adjust, plus I've heard the buckles fall apart after five minutes.

The Tech 3's were i little wider in the foot but did not come up the leg as high as the Thors. I would have to say that the Tech 3's were more comfortable, but it's all about compromise at the low end of the market.

Will let you know how they work out.

Definatly let me know I was really regretting not buying a pair...I went with comp 5s which I like but still uuugghhh

I don't like the ratchet buckle idea for MX boots. You really don't need them that tight and you have to adjust them to where you want them every time you put them on. Sidi buckles are the best in the biz IMO. They are super easy to buckle/unbuckle, they stay closed while riding and you can set them once and never have to adjust them again.

• Like 1

I don't like the ratchet buckle idea for MX boots. You really don't need them that tight and you have to adjust them to where you want them every time you put them on. Sidi buckles are the best in the biz IMO. They are super easy to buckle/unbuckle, they stay closed while riding and you can set them once and never have to adjust them again.

Which model of Sidi boot has the buckles you are talking about here? I have not used my Thors yet, so could still exchange them.

Definatly let me know I was really regretting not buying a pair...I went with comp 5s which I like but still uuugghhh

I have had both these boots and would buy the Comp 5 over the ratchets. The ratchets didn't fit my feet right and I never could get confortable. These were given to me free new my size, and gave them away. The ratchets work good but were PITA undoing them. Push to release ratchet, then have to pull each binding out before you can remove your foot. I have tried on many type of boots (Iron Pony near by) and the Gerne SG10 work the best at a ok price ($319 @ RM atv). Steeper than the boots in question but well worth it. These SG10 uses the same type of latches as the SIDI and SG12, this is the reason I bought them for my son. Down side, the boot is a bit heavy (side by side with ratchet and Comp 5) and less protection vs. SG12's. I will be picking a pair of these up in the spring. Anyone need a almost new size 9 SG10 black?? Son out grew them!

Edited by weantright

Has anybody had these boots longer than a year of riding? right now i care more on durability than anything, i don't care how hard they are to get on, or off, or how tight they get because of the ratchet, none of that stuff means anything to me, its how tough they are, how long they will last. my oneal elements were not for walking, i would get blisters if i tried to walk for a long time, but were great when riding, so that part i don't really care about, but they only lasted a year of hard riding, i could go longer, but i only have 2 buckles per boot right now.

I chose Thor Ratchet over Tech3 as well. I don't have much time in them yet, though.

My only complaint so far is they feel wide/fat around the foot compared to other boots I've tried.

The ratchet mechanism is pretty handy. Easier than messing with the crappy Tech 3 buckles. It's easy to get them too tight, just need to find your sweet spot.

I just picked these up... They are super wide around the perimeter of the foot area and far more padded in the ankles than any boots i've worn. The amount of protection around the ankles/foot basically acts as a pressure point, providing insane amounts of protection/padding in easy to injure areas of the foot/ankle, therefore proper fit is a MUST.

My feet are slightly different sized (Left is slightly wider) and it's actually just barely too much padding for my left foot and creating a bit of discomfort after about 20 minutes sitting around my house... Hopefully after they're broken in it'll be better.

My right foot is incredibly cosy and feels much safer than my old boots. Love the ratchet, and the tightening too tight isn't an issue at all.

Other than the minor discomfort during breaking in, I would recommend them.

I have the tech 3's and im not sure what everyone is complaining about. The buckles are not that bad at all. I only have 5 rides on my boots and if anything the buckles have gotten easier to take off

• Like 1