Sign in to follow this  

Survived my first supermoto race!

Hey guys,

Sunday, I competed in my first supermoto race with the Colorado Supermoto Shootout series put on by Kevin Bland and Eddie Sisneros. I've been smiling ear to ear ever since and wanted to share with you all.

I entered beginner and sportsman classes. Sportsman was a lot of goofy fun, lots of guys on DRZ's... and there was plenty of horns honking throughout the race! :confused: I didn't win either of my events, didn't come in last and didn't crash! I tried not to take myself too seriously, and just had some good ol' fun.

Here are a couple videos for your enjoyment! :thumbsup: I intended to have video of 2 other races, but am still getting used to the GoPro and unfortunately did not get them recorded. I will hopefully have some professional photos as soon as they become available and will post them as well.

Enjoy!

Sportsman Main Event:

Beginner Heat Race:

Morning Practice Session:

Thanks again Eddie! You and Kevin put on a good show!

Can't wait till I get to that level, footage looks great, and you survived! :confused:

I was on level 0. Now I'm on level 1. :thumbsup: I had never hit a dirt jump in my life until Saturday afternoon. Just went for it, and to my surprise, did fairly well for a noob. All my butterflies were for nothing. By the end of the day, I was almost doubling some of the tabletops.

Only problem I had was getting the bike to shift into 4th and 5th sometimes. But I account that to not being used to MX boots and the bike probably needs an oil change.

What tires were you using?

Bridgestone Battlax BT016, front and rear. They performed perfectly. The weather was very cool, especially in the morning ( about 40F) and even at mid-day, temps never got above 50F. I was a little concerned about their performance in the cold, but they seemed to heat up enough rather quickly to stay grippy in the turns and even coming off the dirt.

They didn't look like melted pencil erasers after each race either. There was a noticeable roughness near the edges, but no large chunks. Front is about due for a change though. Its darn near the wear bars and I've got 2600 miles on it so far. Rear tire still has a few millis before that... probably get several hundred more miles, hopefully.

I will most likely be getting these tires again. I have been very pleased with them :thumbsup:

so are you hooked now :thumbsup:

Heh, absolutely! :confused: I've done track days before, and I love racing around on the asphalt. What really hooked me was jumping in the dirt! Who knew the DRZ could fly?!?! Now I'm a pretty big guy, so you can understand how stoked I was to experience first hand how easy it was to get airborne on my piggly DRZ. And I had never jumped a bike before, so I was grinning ear to ear in my helmet during every race! :worthy:

Nice job, i wish i had a place to race close to me. I would enter for sure.

Edited by ZUKIfanOBX

This is super awesome. Something like this will never ever get organized in nj.

I've been to SuMo races at Raceway Park in Englishtown. I was hoping that they still ran them, because I wanted to jump in!

Jobi, that's awesome! Good for you! :thumbsup:

And I had never jumped a bike before, so I was grinning ear to ear in my helmet during every race! :thumbsup:

yep, riding in the dirt...and especially jumping...will do that to ya.

sliding sideways will do that do ya as well...as will climbing power line hills.

of course, there is some butt pucker that can go a long with the smile, but that just makes the smile all that much bigger. :confused:

and the DRZ is an amazingly capable dirt bike for not being a dedicated dirt bike.

hooray for dirt! :worthy:

Here's a couple photos my parents took... more pics on photobucket. They were using my camera and I think it is on the fritz because half of the pictures they took were blurry. Time for a new camera!!

Colorado Supermoto

S5008112.jpg

S5008143.jpg

Here's a couple photos my parents took... more pics on photobucket. They were using my camera and I think it is on the fritz because half of the pictures they took were blurry. Time for a new camera!!

You have parents?!! You're very lucky!!:worthy:

Congrats on the completed 1st race!!:thumbsup::smirk::busted:

The dirt section on that track looks very fun!!:confused::moon:

You have parents?!! You're very lucky!!:confused:

Lol, what's that supposed to mean? Don't you? You weren't born in a test tube, were you :worthy::thumbsup::busted:

But yes, the dirt section turned out to be my favorite part of the track. Before practice, it was the part I was most affraid of... go figure.