Sign in to follow this  

98 XR400 Suspension

Just got back from a 3 day ride in PA. Last day I got a flat on the front tire. Thinking about doing some mods to forks while yanking front wheel to fix flat. I'm 220 lbs of twisted steel and sex-a-peel.....and 5'10"......LOL Been riding bike for 10 yrs with stock suspension. All I did was adj the spanner nut on rear shock to help with sag. played with dampening adj on front forks. I know this sounds like a cave man way to ride to most of you, but what can I say.... Just want to do basic upgrade.?? Something I can do myself. I've been a mechanic all my life, and at 45 it's starting to feel like too long.

Any input you guy's can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Just got back from a 3 day ride in PA. Last day I got a flat on the front tire. Thinking about doing some mods to forks while yanking front wheel to fix flat. I'm 220 lbs of twisted steel and sex-a-peel.....and 5'10"......LOL Been riding bike for 10 yrs with stock suspension. All I did was adj the spanner nut on rear shock to help with sag. played with dampening adj on front forks. I know this sounds like a cave man way to ride to most of you, but what can I say.... Just want to do basic upgrade.?? Something I can do myself. I've been a mechanic all my life, and at 45 it's starting to feel like too long.

Any input you guy's can give me is greatly appreciated.

The best mod I ever did to my '98 XR4 was installing a Gold Valve kit in the forks. I set the bike up with a medium soft mid-speed stack and extremely soft high-speed stack. I can turn in the comp clickers and land a jump, but the forks will swallow a boulder like it was never there (I still wince in expectation though). You know that shoulder jarring *crack* and deflection you get when you smack an 8" rock? All gone.

You should change the spring rate in the forks as well. With the stock 0.40 springs, the bike is unbalanced and the forks are under-sprung compared to the shock. A pair of 0.46-0.48 springs up front balances the bike, and is close enough for 220 pound rider - just set your shock free sag to 3/4"-1", and you're all set.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch.aspx?genre=1&brand=Honda&model=XR400R&year=1998

JayC

Thanks for the info guy's ....I'm on it !

I'll let you know it turns out