Sign in to follow this  

Lead and octane

I have had some pinging issues lately and found out that i can purchase 110 octane leaded gas at a local station. i have been running 91 (ethanol free) gas.

the bike: 2005 RM265 with head porting.

first can my bike handle leaded fuel?

second can my bike handle 110 octane or should i mix it half and half with 91 giving me something like 100.5 octane gas? or maybe 3:1 for 95.75 octane?

yes, your bike can handle leaded fuel. in fact, lead is a good thing since it is a lubricant for your valves. The only time lead becomes a problem is with catalytic converters.

as far as the octane goes, wour bike can handle any octane above the recommended. However, the question is: do you really need it? are you sure the pinging is not caused by something else?

was the compression raised in the bike, if not then you should not need race fuel. i mix 50/50 110 with 91 works great.

yes, your bike can handle leaded fuel. in fact, lead is a good thing since it is a lubricant for your valves. The only time lead becomes a problem is with catalytic converters.

This is a 2 Stroke so no valves, but should still be ok?? or is it only a benefit to 4 strokes?

as far as the octane goes, wour bike can handle any octane above the recommended. However, the question is: do you really need it? are you sure the pinging is not caused by something else?

well, i can't be sure that the ping is from the octane of the gas, but i put some octane booster in my current gas and the ping went away and the bike seemed to run flawlessly, so i'm guessing that is the problem.

was the compression raised in the bike, if not then you should not need race fuel.

well, when i spoke to Eric Gorr, who did the work, he said that the head was ported for "more power throughout the powerband" which i'm guessing means higher compression. He also said it should run on pump gas, but he kind of hinted to the fact that higher octane would run better.

i mix 50/50 110 with 91 works great.

and that is what i was planning on doing. my current gas is ethenol free 91 octane and i was planning on mixing 1:1 with 110 leaded gas that i found at a local place. should net about 100.5 octane which i was hoping would be ideal for the bike. I'm just trying to make sure that i know what octane i should be shooting for and if lead is ok in a 2 stroke.

This is a 2 Stroke so no valves, but should still be ok?? or is it only a benefit to 4 strokes?

well, i can't be sure that the ping is from the octane of the gas, but i put some octane booster in my current gas and the ping went away and the bike seemed to run flawlessly, so i'm guessing that is the problem.

if some octane booster stopped the ping than tou don't need much higher of a octane rating.i'd say you whould only need a mixture of 90%91 and 10% 110 to keep the ping away. when it comes to octane you only need enuf to keep it from pinging above that level your only reducing power output of your engine and putting a bigger dent in your wallet than you have to. as for 2 strokes and leaded fuel , they love it ! I burn 55 gallons through my 780cc 185 hp 2 stroke snowmobile every winter .my head set up requires 96 octane and i mix for 97 and the thing loves it .

Lead is fine for your 2 stroke, I often do an Avgas/ pump mix in my 2 and 4 strokes.

If booster is curing your ping you won't need much. 3-4 parts pump to 1 part 110. Experiment, see what works for you.

I wrote valves, I meant engine in general. lead is a lubricant.

Personally, I use the below in my 4-stroke:

http://kemcooil.com/specials.php

Yeah, i already knew that lead is a benefit to 4 strokes but wasn't sure about 2 strokes. it's good to know that it won't hurt my engine because it seems that all of the higher octane gas that i can get around here is leaded.

thanks for the response. It was very helpful.