What it takes to be pro

so im 18 and have been riding my whole life. i ride a 2003 ktm 200 exc. my parents dont like me to race but when i do i usually get top 5 in our A class. i wanna know the chances of becoming a pro racer and the steps on how to do that. thanks!

so im 18 and have been riding my whole life. i ride a 2003 ktm 200 exc. my parents dont like me to race but when i do i usually get top 5 in our A class. i wanna know the chances of becoming a pro racer and the steps on how to do that. thanks!

I would start with Loretta Lynns. If you finish well, at least some companies will be looking at you?

And this usually helps...

Money+stacks.jpg

If you race in a big seriers with lots of racers and you are pulling top 5 A finishers you are looking good. Now you just need to start racing big event natinally reconized and ranked get your name out there and consistantley finish top 3 onceyou reach the level the sponsors and teams will come to you.

If you can get a Pro license you're well on your way. You are talking about Pro MX? Do you have any local Pros who might help you out a little? I say go for it while you're young enough to make it a reality so that when you're my age you won't regret not doing it. Also, there are a couple top level Pros right here on TT who's brains you might pick....Gary Semics and Dwight Rudder come to mind.

When looking for sponsorships, don't go to them. Impress them to the point where they come to you. Going to them basically is saying "Hey look at me, you should sponsor me now!" which is a big turnoff from companies looking to sponsor people.

agree lots of $$$$ will help you become pro. Not many poor kids make it as they are always against the machine.

You are (when semi pro at the national races) going against riders that have atleast 2 bikes, a race bike (only used for the races) and a practice bike. These bikes are not 2003 KTM's or what ever. They are this 2011 for race and 2010 for practice or sim.

The parents are where the $$$ comes from on most instances and like someone else said they have supported every weekend since he was bought the first pw50 at the age of 3 and has had a great bike and what ever else needed since.

A kid with little $$$$ can do it, but I WOULD PRESS HARD for sponsorships. Getting free tires , gear, oil, etc is only half the battle and 50% off on a "A" sponsorship is even less than half the battle.

Get to know your sponsors (the rider support guy) so that he knows your name, who you are, what you sound and look like. Send him your results good or bad after every race with a little recap and a pic now and then. Show him how committed you are to them and racing. Have excellent results or win your A class in a big national series and you will start getting free stuff and maybe help on getting another bike, etc.

Good luck, but you may be up against the machine without the $$$$$$

agree lots of $$$$ will help you become pro. Not many poor kids make it as they are always against the machine.

You are (when semi pro at the national races) going against riders that have atleast 2 bikes, a race bike (only used for the races) and a practice bike. These bikes are not 2003 KTM's or what ever. They are this 2011 for race and 2010 for practice or sim.

The parents are where the $$$ comes from on most instances and like someone else said they have supported every weekend since he was bought the first pw50 at the age of 3 and has had a great bike and what ever else needed since.

A kid with little $$$$ can do it, but I WOULD PRESS HARD for sponsorships. Getting free tires , gear, oil, etc is only half the battle and 50% off on a "A" sponsorship is even less than half the battle.

Get to know your sponsors (the rider support guy) so that he knows your name, who you are, what you sound and look like. Send him your results good or bad after every race with a little recap and a pic now and then. Show him how committed you are to them and racing. Have excellent results or win your A class in a big national series and you will start getting free stuff and maybe help on getting another bike, etc.

Good luck, but you may be up against the machine without the $$$$$$

VERY WELL SAID!

My company sponsors over 300 riders and only 1 Pro and 1 Vet rider send in weekly results.......and they are taken care of for their extra efforts.

It depends on how you define "Pro Racer". If by that you mean you're getting enough sponsorship to make a living at it, you're probably a little late to the game. If you look at guys in the GNCC and NEPG (what I'm familiar with on the East Coast), most of 'em won a big bike A title before they were 17, never mind the success they had in the minis. This means they had the full support from their parents to get there. Now, if your goal is to simply line up in a Pro class and be competitive, you can certainly get there. Gotta hit every race you can to get better and if you're winning on the local level (A class titles and in the mix for the overall), you can sign up for the Pro class. There isn't a Pro License" in off-road like there is with MX/SX.