running in new engine

hi am running in my new baby...manual did say anything about using a different ratio than 60:1 that it recomments for usual use, but i found out in some threads that some people used more oil ratios for runnin!!!

whats you comments on this??? i have read the popular 60:1 threat so i was quite confitent going along with the ktms ratio and oil???

It's common knowledge that more oil=more power. Run 32:1 and call it good.

It's common knowledge that more oil=more power. Run 32:1 and call it good.

:thumbsup: I learned the hard way.:confused:

run more oil for runnin period or always..???

not font of expierince the hard way...:thumbsup:

period, like always run 32:1

I run 32:1 in my bike. ITs a 08 and still on the stock piston and rings. Planning to change it in august when I get back from my deployment. The 250sx runs great on 32:1 and there isn't no sponge. Jetting was the hard part! I run 50/50 single track/mx track.

the bike requires a certain amount of "fuel" which is the gas and oil mix. The jetting determines how much fuel it is actually getting. If you change the gas oil ratio then you are also changing the fuel mix. So more oil means less gas. So if changing from the 60-1 recommended by a large number then you also need to change the jets. I always re-jet my KTMs because they are so far off from perfect from the factory. With that being said I run 3 oz of oil per gal of gas. The actual change from 60-1 to 32-1 is large. 50-1 would not be large and you could get away with that without re=jetting.

I recommend you read some more and decide what to do because if it ruins the motor you wont be happy.

I jetted for 40:1 and thats what I run. Pick a ratio, jet for it and use quality oil.

i see quite a few people using the 60:1 with confitence and trouble free,and i dont mind using that also, but was wondering if its better to use more oil for the running in period, which by the way is almost over!!!:confused:

i took faith to the manufucturer and runin the motor to stock from factory jet and oil ratio!!! hope i dont regret :thumbsup:

as long as you use a good synth oil it will be fine

i can readylly find motorex which they suggest and it runs fine with that with no spooge and the jetting seams fine, havent chacked the plug yet but fills good running motor

We like 40:1, more oil=less wear and have never had problems with fouling plugs

run in with MINERAL oil not synthetic. synth are too slippery for the rings to form with the roundness of the cylinder wall.

run 30:1 and dont look back. even after break in. motor will thank you for it.

let it warm up for good 10 min. and check for leaks.

ride it slow first to really warm up then go hard. you need to over load that top end to expand the rings against the cylinder walls otherise youll end up witha weak motor.

Overload means= go high gear and slow down a bit and accelarate hard. this might or might not bog your motor (mine doesnt) but it will seat those rings on the walls.

after 1 hour to 1-½ hour, you need to re-torque those nuts and bolts. try to use the old gasket for the PV side covers and use the new ones after the re-torque.

hi am running in my new baby...manual did say anything about using a different ratio than 60:1 that it recomments for usual use, but i found out in some threads that some people used more oil ratios for runnin!!!

whats you comments on this??? i have read the popular 60:1 threat so i was quite confitent going along with the ktms ratio and oil???

im pretty sure the bike get gas from the dealer with the ratio for break-in

i see quite a few people using the 60:1 with confitence and trouble free,and i dont mind using that also, but was wondering if its better to use more oil for the running in period, which by the way is almost over!!!:worthy:

i took faith to the manufucturer and runin the motor to stock from factory jet and oil ratio!!! hope i dont regret :confused:

There are responsible riders/owners that run anything from 32:1 to 100:1(with the right oil), I've never worried so much about the ratio during break in but I always like to have rich jetting during break in... (no specific reason, just made me more comfortable). The ktm jetting from the tables seems to be a shade rich so you've done good!:thumbsup:

I broke my bike in at 32:1 for the first tank of gas. Now I'm at 50:1 and no problems yet