650R randomly dies/ inconsistent idle

Hi, Lately when coasting or just coming to a stop, and sometimes sitting at idle for a min, I've noticed my 650R will be idling way too low, then die, if I can catch it before it dies, and rev it a bit then it Idles way too high! ***! If it does die, it restarts in one kick, or bump starts right away since it sometimes dies before i come to a full stop. It seemed to have gotten worse since it started. Today it stalled four times on a ride, but it fired right back up. The bike runs fine

The bike is uncorked, and has an Edelbrock carb, if that helps..

When my Edel starts doing this i replace the needle and seat and that problem goes away. They seem to be real picky in that area...

Looking at the design of that carb,(needle and seat sits horizontal) it looks as if it would work better with a fuel pump. I might try that latter...

When my Edel starts doing this i replace the needle and seat and that problem goes away. They seem to be real picky in that area...

Looking at the design of that carb,(needle and seat sits horizontal) it looks as if it would work better with a fuel pump. I might try that latter...

Thanks, ill try that. Would this have to be purchased through edelbrock directly? Or is there another place to find it.

Thanks, ill try that. Would this have to be purchased through edelbrock directly? Or is there another place to find it.

You can get the part # from Edelbrock web site then plug that # into google. You can get them on Fle-bay too. I can't recall where my last one was from..

Nevermind on the web-site,i just went there and it SUCKS. No more parts breakdown. I'll look at the one that i have latter and get a part #.

Edited by scalejockey

Ok, I finally got the needle and seat. Also got a new pump plunger assembly.

I put the plunger assembly in before installing the needle and seat and the bike ran horribly. Extremely hard to start, any minute semi quick throttle input would make the bike stumble and sometimes die. hesitation/stumbling in between shifts. So I pulled the carb to replace the needle and seat.

The new needle and seat on the right looks a lot different than the old one. Why is this? Design change? Wrong needle/seat? The part number on the package matches. When I put this needle and seat in, there is no room for the float bowl to move up and down thus no room for the needle to move back and forth in the seat. does this wire hook to the back of the float bowl? I dont get it.

2011-05-18_18-56-39_348-1.jpg

Yes that's what the 'new' design looks like (i guess),or at least both of the last two iv'e ordered looked like that.

That little wire is what pulls the needle out,so ,,yes it goes on top.

Don't lose that one way valve plunger for the pump..

Yes that's what the 'new' design looks like (i guess),or at least both of the last two iv'e ordered looked like that.

That little wire is what pulls the needle out,so ,,yes it goes on top.

Don't lose that one way valve plunger for the pump..

Ah, got it.

Which one way valve are you referring to?

Ah, got it.

Which one way valve are you referring to?

It's in the passage from the pump between the bowl and the body. It always falls out when your not looking:banghead:If your is missing it will run like crap.

I'll see if i can fine a parts breakdown.

I'll see if i can scan my parts breakdown latter. It's a ball that sits under the pump plunger. Part#49.

Edited by scalejockey
It's in the passage from the pump between the bowl and the body. It always falls out when your not looking:banghead:If your is missing it will run like crap.

I'll see if i can fine a parts breakdown.

I'll see if i can scan my parts breakdown latter. It's a ball that sits under the pump plunger. Part#49.

I figured you were talking about that, but wasn't sure. I did almost lose it the first time I pulled the plunger out!

I threw the new needle and seat in there, and it runs much better. There is still a slight hesitation when I snap the throttle open under no load though. Whatever that means. Could be a little rich in the low mid range, I don't know.

Ok, I rode the bike, and throttle response is non existent. If I open the throttle normally to accelerate it hesitates really bad, and when I shift it hesitates really bad. When I was just cruising at a consistent speed, low rpm, about 35-40mph the bike began surging. But only in the low rpm low throttle range. It only did this once. When I brought the rpms up, and got on the gas a little more, the problem went away.

I remember richening the low/mid range knob when the bike first started showing these symptoms hoping that was the problem. So I wonder if I should go back to the original settings from when I first got the bike, now that I have replaced these parts. Maybe the bike is running too rich on the bottom now?

I also noticed the Carb is pissing out fuel when the bike is not running. When its running it doesn't leak..

Edited by blone

If i recall i use 13-16 clicks out on the needle adjust. (A 'click in,clockwise, is richer and a turn out is leaner) Mine never seems to pee out unless tipped a fair amount.

Thanks scalejockey. I have not fixed the fuel urination issue, could be a simple bend of the tab on the float that the needle wire hooks to. It seems to dribble out when leaned on the kickstand, when the bike is vertical, it stops. But I seemed to have fixed the off idle/ in between shifts stumble. The pump shot adjustment screw was turned all the way in, giving it way too much fuel from the accelerator pump. Runs great now! Hopefully there wont be any more surprises.