Spring Rate Questions

I am rebuilding the suspension on my more used 2004 CRF450R. I know about the static sag and rider sag to pick the right rate for yourself. Here are my scenarios and im just going to round the numbers to make this more simple

This springs are from my 1997 CR500R

5.8 kg/mm Spring

26mm static sag

102mm rider sag

6.0 kg/mm Spring (haven't ridden this set up yet)

31mm static sag

102mm rider sag

Both fall into "the" formula for choosing the correct spring rate for your weight. How would the suspension react to the different springs on the same track conditions?

Would the 6.0 spring be more supple in the chop due to less preload and stiffer to bottom? Just wondering which way I should go with my CRF as I can straddle two different spring rates with this bike as well!

Joe

How much do you weigh?

I don't want this question to be about what I weigh that's why I didn't put the info in there. I want to know how the two different spring rates work in relation to each other given the fact that using the way which to determine what springs to run I can use either one.

I would run the 5.8 at 26mm of static sag. It will be smoother in the chop than the 6.0 at 31mm, which will have more bottoming resistance. BTW, I weigh 212-215lbs and run a 5.8, with .49 fronts. MX only. If I was 18 again, I'd probably be running a 6.0.

I know at 240lbs factory connection said for me to use a 50 front spring and 6.1 rear spring with 108 sag. I used them and they helped but now I'm sending them in for a revalve.

I am rebuilding the suspension on my more used 2004 CRF450R. I know about the static sag and rider sag to pick the right rate for yourself. Here are my scenarios and im just going to round the numbers to make this more simple

This springs are from my 1997 CR500R

5.8 kg/mm Spring

26mm static sag

102mm rider sag

6.0 kg/mm Spring (haven't ridden this set up yet)

31mm static sag

102mm rider sag

Both fall into "the" formula for choosing the correct spring rate for your weight. How would the suspension react to the different springs on the same track conditions?

Would the 6.0 spring be more supple in the chop due to less preload and stiffer to bottom? Just wondering which way I should go with my CRF as I can straddle two different spring rates with this bike as well!

Joe

the more static sag you run, the less performance on the braking bumps you will have. it's a "dead zone" where the bike unloads enough, and the damping can't do it's job properly. one of the pro riders we did a set for had the same problem. we put him on the appropriate rate for his weight 5.4kg. this helped in the chop and we actually let out the low speed comp on the shock as well.this helped in the braking/studder bumps. this was down from his recommended sx setting of 5.7kg. for sx this weekend, we're doing a set with the 5.7's. less preload, more sag to navigate the whoops.

on my crf 450, i have chosen to run a one-rate stiffer spring for the sand/whoops for testing purposes.:thumbsup: