Stator Problem?

Has any one had problems with low spark when starting cold? Bump starts fast, and starts easy all day when warm. I've checked cam timing and cleaned carb with new spark plug. Compression good...will not fire with choke on for 15-20 kicks, then with choke off and hot start it will pop/backfire. Also wondering if anyone knows an easy way to check electrical output? Need some help!

you should be able to get the resitance measurments for the slow speed and main windings from your dealer. but from what your saying i think you could do to change your ht lead etc

Check Valve clearance. :thumbsup:

you should be able to get the resitance measurments for the slow speed and main windings from your dealer. but from what your saying i think you could do to change your ht lead etc[/QUOT

Not sure what you are saying in the second sentence.

Check Valve clearance. :thumbsup:

Does that sound like valves too tight?

I'm refering to a weak spark, not to sure about the very modern stators but most stators have a slow and high speed winding. if it has a poor spark when cold / damp I would first look at the ht lead etc before replacing the winding

Tight valves will give hard starts, running hot, backfires and stalling at idle. When the bike warms up, it will usually start easy.

If not adjusted soon enough, cracked seats and burned/cracked valve heads.

If you cleaned the carb, Valves would be my next step.

Tight valves will give hard starts, running hot, backfires and stalling at idle. When the bike warms up, it will usually start easy.

If not adjusted soon enough, cracked seats and burned/cracked valve heads.

If you cleaned the carb, Valves would be my next step.

Finally had time to get back to the starting issue. After cleaning the carb, I took your advice and tonight checked the valve clearance. Exhaust was in spec, but the intakes are tight. I'll take it further to find which shims it will take to bring back in specs.

After thinning the shims...one intake came into spec, but the other is GONE. I'm hoping to only replace the intakes and cut the seats. My friends at the bike shop are recommending a complete overhaul, my budget says to only address the problem. The exhaust valves measure 008, so I'm assuming they are fine. Is it important to replace the springs-buckets-tappets-etc? Wandering if anyone has been in this spot and can tell me how it went.

Has anyone dealt with replacing valves? Some say 05-07 are the same, others that only 05-06. My research has shown that all three years have different part #s, but I've seen that before with Suzuki.

The 07 is by itself with the Ti valve specs. Makes finding deals almost impossible, but after searching and deciding to stay with Ti valves, I found a great deal on Ebay. Titanium Performance/Racebolts LLC is the company, The tall dutchman is the contact name. For all you 07 owners-a great price on valves...'asking price' is $299.95 for the set.

My local shop machined the seats, I installed new seals with the valves. The guides were checked,along with hardware.

I took time to shim valves on bench, alot easier! Installed head-reset timing marks and DONE!

Many people/riders have told stories about the high cost of rebuilding four strokes. My experience has been the opposite, if you look for deals, have some mechanical skills, you can rebuild very affordable.