XRR Adventure Touring

Ok, here's my story.

Everybody should have a plan B right? Right.

Ok, so our economy isn't great and my industry (commercial and industrial construction) isn't fun like it used to be. It's becoming more and more like work, and so the formulation of plan B.

My plan B involves taking off for however long I can afford to ride central and possibly South America. Why? Why not is my answer. I've passed out on too many traveling experiences and being that I'm getting older (28), I don't want to miss any more. Old enough to know better, young enough to not care.

Rent the house, pawn the dog off on my parents, ride. Easy.

Then comes the questions. I own a decently kitted XR650R. I have little issue about the engine doing that many K (I don't know how many it has currently other then it runs premo). I just got back from 4000 km's in Baja without a single hick-up. I change the oil at 2000kms which is a PITA, but what are you gonna do. I can't afford to travel and kit out a XR or DR when I've already put 1000's into this XRR for similar type riding.

The real issue is luggage capability. I have a GL Coyote bag which works awesome, but everybody mentions the strength of the subframe being aluminum. The bonus here is it's not welded to the frame. Here my question lies:

1) What's the limit of a stock XRR subframe for load

2) What can be done to modify a stock subframe for more strength.

I won't be sticking to pavement so I want something capable of handling the Baja whoops, and the rocky roads of coastal dirt. I tend to ride faster then average. I do get a rush from it, although I know it's not the most wise thing... (young enough...)

Are there any kits on the market made and can handle this (lets be realistic) and if not, is there a kit to start the design of something more solid? Currently I have a tig welder available to work for beer. I'd like to take advantage of that.

Good time to take an adventure before you get tied down with other stuff.

Probably could make something cheaper but here is some aftermarket stuff to browse thru. Sure there is more out there... I have one of their skid plates, heavy duty stuff.

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=144_150_153&sort=20a&page=1

Cheers...

I agree. Do it now while your young.

I'm 41 this year and let slip on opportunities to travel while seeking material things that I no longer have and lost out on. Now I'm married with 3 kids and a long way from travelling to anywhere.

Can't help you with the rack but there must be a dozen different ways to increase the strenght of the sub frame if that really is the weakness in your plan.

Don't die wondering.

breaks here

DSCN3560.jpg

weld here drill holes on top just back from the bolt

DSCN3568.jpg

unplug your cdi

and this is to much

DSCN3531.jpg

change your oil more and do your valve adjustments and it will be good every 1000 miles

Edited by bigredpig

and this is to much

DSCN3531.jpg

change you oil more and do your valve adjustments and it will be good every 1000 miles

Thanks!

I know aluminum will fatique quicker than steel with it's lack of forgiveness, however how much weight do you estimate those bags were holding?

I had my coyote stuffed full and fairly heavy without issue. I wonder how close I was getting to what the subframe will take on?

I'll read the above link, but I'm wondering how I could go about strengthening key areas to make it stronge. The (4) bolt attachements, and maybe the connection of the top triangle. Besides webbing the angles obviously.

Unfortunately our bikes dont allow for much other option of packing. Tank saddlebags aren't really an option, the front fender can only hold so much, and I have a 8" TT light that won't allow the bar bag. With the seating position of the XRR, I don't think the small tank bags will work either.

I dont know if the way my bike was fixed is the best way, but it broke on day two in baja. I got it welded and its still good. I think it more of a over time thing. the yellow bag was 50-70 lbs same with the sadle bags extra 100lbs easy.

Before purchasing my XRR I have done a lot of reading on this link. Unfortunately, there are quite a few tire kickers on that post. An adventure bike in my books isn't made for a couple hour ride. People are mixing that post up with dual sport and adventure. I know this is argueable, but IMO two completely different things.

I already have the basics covered on my bike. I would be swapping the Clarke tank out for the IMS 7 gal or Acerbis 6gal. Found out in Baja that 4.3 gal + (2) liters is clearly not enough if venturing further off the beaten path. Adding a tall seat and windscreen even though the seat wasn't an issue in Baja. I stand 90-95% of the time off-road which helps a lot. It makes the highways more relaxing, and the gravel and dirt roads welcomed. The coyote bag and it's shape actually helps a lot with the seat too.

I'll continue to read in hopes of finding somebody with saddle bags or more then 30liters of storage. I think I could do with my coyote bag and a drybag like I did in Baja, however a little more space would be great. Buying a slightly less thermal sleeping bag (0 and not -7 celcius) and new air pad would reduce space (currently foam/air). Plus I'd like to bring my 13" macbook pro. I could get away with an Itouch, but offloading pictures and updating people are just so much more convient with a laptop.

I've made a skid plate tool container out of aluminum which worked awesome in Baja, however upon return it was as I had guessed. Packed with sand and rusting tools. I'll have to either build a new one, or figure out a lid that's waterproof. Knowing how how well it worked I'd like to make it larger in size since it's a great place to store tools and heavier stuff. Low and out of the way (except when on seriously rocky trail, in which case I set the bike down on it a few times. It handled it like a trooper with only suffering some relatively minor dents). It would be interesting to make a larger one capable of holding some spare water in one side (ie dakar) and spare oil in the other... The added width would help with cool mornings and cold tootsies...

I dont know if the way my bike was fixed is the best way, but it broke on day two in baja. I got it welded and its still good. I think it more of a over time thing. the yellow bag was 50-70 lbs same with the sadle bags extra 100lbs easy.

And I thought I brought too much crap to Baja! haha. We did tip to tail and back over two weeks (2.5) days in Cabo and I didn't use half my stuff. Then again I was prepared if issues arrised.

I would have guessed mine weighed around 60lbs? 70lbs at the very most. Carried HD tubes as spares which I wouldn't do again. Too heavy and too much room. Plus out of 5 bikes none of us got flats. That's probably the biggest thing learnt.

Thanks for the info though. I'll maybe guage 70-80lbs max and as far foward as I can make do. Another bonus is the Coyote carries the weight further forward.

Do you think the new strength is because the bolt area is now solid aluminum vs the square tube it was before? It looked like it ripped the hole/bolt away from the subframe.

In 6 day we camp 3 nights and I used most if not all the stuff. I will say tubes are a must out of seven of us we had 7 flats. I always carry front and rear tubes. A two way bike pump, patches from bike shop if i can patch it I will.

I would just drill and weld it. i looked at some other bikes last week and one of the two bike was cracked. it sucks looking for some one to fix it on the road.

the welds are just no good on that part of the subframe.

it is the same as it was before but with one more spot weld right in back of the bolt. B

In 6 day we camp 3 nights and I used most if not all the stuff. I will say tubes are a must out of seven of us we had 7 flats. I always carry front and rear tubes. A two way bike pump, patches from bike shop if i can patch it I will.

I would just drill and weld it. i looked at some other bikes last week and one of the two bike was cracked. it sucks looking for some one to fix it on the road.

the welds are just no good on that part of the subframe.

it is the same as it was before but with one more spot weld right in back of the bolt. B

Thanks! I'm thinking of getting a spare subframe to mangle up a bit and see what I can do for strength. I'll definitely re-enforce those two mounts.

need a riding partner? got the bike and the time....Scott 909 645 8855

For the trip?

I'm sure I'm going to meet and pass riders all the time, but if interested maybe our plans will align?

So far I'm thinking my coyote bag will not work well. Well, lets rephrase that. It works awesome, but not for a 3-4+ month trip.

I'm thinking dirt bagz, or maybe just their racks with the Wolfman bags. Then I have room for a small dry bag, AND rack with a hard case for electronics, etc. I'll need the racks, bags, and fender rack, but I think that's the best (cheapest, yet good) option we have. I want to keep it as light and tight as possible.

What do you guys think?

Still putting this plan into action. Picked up some Spanish learning software and so far so good. I have a friend who said he'll take my dog, or at least share the time with my parents (who don't know about this yet). Now it'd be nice to have somebody rent my house while I'm gone, so I've been putting the word out on that. Thankfully it's winter so the yard doesn't require work, but I'd still like to make some money on renting it and pay for the mortgage. Plus it's nice to have people overlooking the house.

Try contacting Giant Loop and ask if they think there is a way to mount the Great Basin bag on the XR (and how much bigger it is).

I'm sure it's possible, but already owning the Coyote and having to fork another ~400$ over for the Great Basin has me considering Wolfman, Dirtbags, or TurboCity.

I'd like to run a hard case for my electronics. This way I can run up to 60liters saddlebags with a top case. I don't think I'd need much more then 45-50 liters plus smaller hard case. Many of the things like tent, etc could be put in dry bags and strapped on the saddle or hard cases.

I had most everything I'd need with me in Baja with exception to a few more clothes, room for food, and my laptop. Always nice to have extra space if needed too. Not much, but maybe 10liters or so.