Bike bogs down and dies when crossing water

My DRZ wants to die every time I cross water as shallow as 1ft. If I rev it high it keeps going, but yesterday I had it in about 2ft of water and it died completely and wouldn't start up till I got it out of the water, even though I never let off the throttle while in the water. Pipe, battery, airbox were all above water. This has to be happening from the water splashing onto something. Shouldn't be electrical since it bogs before it dies. Any ideas?

HxiCe.jpg

your vent lines are underwater and wont vent thus stopping fuel from getting to the carb

your vent lines are underwater and wont vent thus stopping fuel from getting to the carb

Is that still the case for the E carb? That doesn't sound right, shouldn't this bike be capable of crossing some streams?

You need to run the vent hoses to the air box.

Fuel is getting to the carb. But, for the fuel to be drawn into the intake you need atmospheric pressure to "push" the fuel up through the jets.

The carb vent hoses supplies the atmospheric pressure to the float bowl. Water gets in those hoses, no fuel flow.

Re-route two lines up to the seat/sub-frame area

Re-route two lines up to the seat/sub-frame area

What 2 hoses go up on the 39??? Thanks...

Do one from each side.

If you have a look you'll see that there are four lines - two lines joining each other at a Tee piece on each side of the carb. You still need lines pointing down to drain fuel away when you've had the bike upside down etc.

Alright so this is what I did. I found the two T fittings on each side of the carb and routed the upper hose from each T to under the seat. So now there are three clear hoses on the bottom and two black ones. Did I do it right?

ym70jl.jpg

8ssufl.jpg

zgI8Hl.jpg

Off topic, what's the yellow thing to the right of the choke?

thatt mcct is way in, is that normal. sorry off topic

Off topic, what's the yellow thing to the right of the choke?

Looks like one of those vinyl caps you buy at the auto parts store to cap off a vent tube to me.

the coast enrichener was removed and the yellow cap is covering one of the vacuum nipples.

my question is where is the oil vapor recovery tank?

the coast enrichener was removed and the yellow cap is covering one of the vacuum nipples.

my question is where is the oil vapor recovery tank?

there isnt a tank as per say.there is an oil seperator(black box on right side of bike just above the ex pipe).the oil vapors condense in there and the go back to the motor.any vapors that dont condense get sucked into the intake and get burned

I think the question asked by steve_k was to the original poster about why there wasn't one on his bike. If you look at the third picture the OP shows there is a "T" in the lines where the box should be.

thatt mcct is way in, is that normal. sorry off topic

It's adjusted properly, so maybe my cam chain is just that worn.

I think the question asked by steve_k was to the original poster about why there wasn't one on his bike. If you look at the third picture the OP shows there is a "T" in the lines where the box should be.

The separator was removed by the previous owner, and when I bought one to replace the T fitting, the header burned a hole in it, because the previous owner also cut off the tab on the frame which the separator mounts on. My zipties weren't enough to hold it. So now I'm back to the T fitting, and I don't mind because it works. The third hose from the T goes to the airbox with a small filter over it. No problems.

Why would the coast enricher be removed? And what exactly is that?

I think the coast enricher just adds a little fuel on deceleration to reduce popping and backfiring.

Is this problem with bogging in water only on the older fcr? or does the fcr-mx have a similar problem?

Thanks for the 411, my bike died in a huge creek and we had to leave it in the tree's for two weeks untill we could get a 4 wheel drive in and get it.... I thought it was electrical but it turned out to be the carb.... Look out now water....