Sign in to follow this  

Is it okay to install used cams

I have the chance to get some used DRZ400E cams. If the lobes are good, is there still a chance the cam sprockets could be worn? I ask because I'm afraid a worn sprocket will prematurely wear out my timing chain. Do people who ride in the woods and are slow like me preffer the 400s cams?

Used cams are fine. Sprocket wear is not often a problem. Lobes would be severely warn before the sprockets. There is very little different in the low speed performance between E and S cams. The E cams will give more on top but you need the 39 carb to take full advantage.

I have the chance to get some used DRZ400E cams. If the lobes are good, is there still a chance the cam sprockets could be worn? I ask because I'm afraid a worn sprocket will prematurely wear out my timing chain. Do people who ride in the woods and are slow like me preffer the 400s cams?

Coming from the automotive world using used cams would be a no no because the bearing surface, and lobes would be mated to the old engine possibly causing premature wear on those surfaces. Not sure if this applies to motorcycles though??