New to the forum

Just wanted to say whazzup. Just got myself a 96 CR250 and I've always been a part of forums for help, so thought I would give this one a try. Normally I'm on the big truck forums but since I'm new to owning a bike here I am.

Pic of the bike

IMAG0084.jpg

Welcome and congrats on bike. Braaap!

Nice bike I hope the bike is not leaking oil under that pan lol. Also welcome to the fourm/website.

Nice bike I hope the bike is not leaking oil under that pan lol. Also welcome to the fourm/website.

Lol nope not leaking. Just happened to be where the oil catch was when i took the pic. Lol..

So like I mentioned I'm new to owning a bike. What are the most important things I should do to keep this bike healthy, that I can do on my own as a beginner?

Are you a very good mechanic?

Are you a very good mechanic?

Ive worked on trucks mostly but nothing major. I can change my own oil, change an alternator, relatively simple stuff. So I know how to work a wrench a little. lol.

Get yourself a 96 CR 250 Service Manual. 2 strokes are pretty easy to work on. Enjoy and welcome.

i'd put a new piston in the bike myself. always do that when buying a used smoker. other than that change the trans oil regularly and keep the air filter clean. have fun.

braaaaaaaaaaaaap!

i'd put a new piston in the bike myself. always do that when buying a used smoker. other than that change the trans oil regularly and keep the air filter clean. have fun.

braaaaaaaaaaaaap!

As far as the piston is that something that most people usually do themselves??

As far as the piston is that something that most people usually do themselves??

Yessir! For your first time (since you're already experienced with mechanic work) maybe TOPS 3hrs. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forums, sick bike!

like aligee said. do it yourself. pick up a clymer shop manual for your bike and set aside a few hours.

you'll need topend gaskets, piston, rings, wristpin, and wristpin bearing. you can usually find a complete kit for around $150.

Yessir! For your first time (since you're already experienced with mechanic work) maybe TOPS 3hrs. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forums, sick bike!

hmm good to know, and thank you. VERY excited about it. I had a bike when I was young but nothing like this ripper. :confused: So like cars when I put a new piston in it I would imagine there is a break in period?

Just to repeat what has been said...

I dont now jack about cars outside of oil and brake changes and can fix my bike so you should be fine.

Yea my first and olnly bike was a 91 250. I bought a clymer and it was money well spent. Walked me right through the piston change and other problems with the bike. Also has trouble shooting guide that helped me discover my cracked reeds which had splintered into my engine. Not saying yours will crack but your bike is on the old side and there is nothing wrong with preventative maintenance.

Yes a break in period is a good idea. I let mine idle for a bit then rode it gently, staying out of the power band. If you did something wrong chances are you will know pretty quickly.

Those older 2t bikes are powered like light switches. Good luck and safe riding

Just to repeat what has been said...

I dont now jack about cars outside of oil and brake changes and can fix my bike so you should be fine.

Yea my first and olnly bike was a 91 250. I bought a clymer and it was money well spent. Walked me right through the piston change and other problems with the bike. Also has trouble shooting guide that helped me discover my cracked reeds which had splintered into my engine. Not saying yours will crack but your bike is on the old side and there is nothing wrong with preventative maintenance.

Yes a break in period is a good idea. I let mine idle for a bit then rode it gently, staying out of the power band. If you did something wrong chances are you will know pretty quickly.

Those older 2t bikes are powered like light switches. Good luck and safe riding

Awesome. Thank You. i was also told to clean the air filter with Diesel???? Sounds a little weird to me. Is that correct info?

I dont know about diesel. I used dish soap and water. Rinse thoroughly, let dry completely, re-oil the filter, re-install. I don't think the type of oil matters but other more experienced members would know exactly.

BTW my air filter was near disintegration when I first went to clean it. Another good thing to replace as far as preventative maintenance.

Depending on the bikes history its not a bad idea to meticulously clean your carb and exhaust valves(I think that what there called) while you change the piston. Maybe some no scratch scotch brite to smooth down the inside of the cylinder. Be sure to check the gap on the new rings before you put the cylinder back on. All these things will only make your bike run better and keep stuff from blowing up in the future. My rm was a new machine after I did this.

Clymer manual is the key! Good luck

I dont know about diesel. I used dish soap and water. Rinse thoroughly, let dry completely, re-oil the filter, re-install. I don't think the type of oil matters but other more experienced members would know exactly.

BTW my air filter was near disintegration when I first went to clean it. Another good thing to replace as far as preventative maintenance.

Depending on the bikes history its not a bad idea to meticulously clean your carb and exhaust valves(I think that what there called) while you change the piston. Maybe some no scratch scotch brite to smooth down the inside of the cylinder. Be sure to check the gap on the new rings before you put the cylinder back on. All these things will only make your bike run better and keep stuff from blowing up in the future. My rm was a new machine after I did this.

Clymer manual is the key! Good luck

Dish soap sounds alot better then having to keep diesel around the house. Lol. So thank you for that. Lol :thumbsup: But ya ill be pickin up a manual on friday.

First off Congrats on the bike and welcome to TT...

I just read through the responses and would like to give you a little info on my maint. sched. I suggest cleaning air filter (with dish soap and water, dont use deisel) every ride (buying a spare and just swapping them is a little easier so theres no down time durring drying) and replacing piston as stated above, as well as cleaning your carb and power valves. Take the time to inspect the reeds, and go over the whole bike and retorque all bolts and when you get your manual go to walmart or similar store and buy a tub of waterproof grease and repack every bearing accessable. Check your spokes before you ride and make sure they stay tight to prevent causing damage to your rim and hub. Change the oil every couple rides (I change mine every 3 rides) and a magnetic drain plug is nice for catching all the little metal shavings which I feel only helps extend bearing and gear life. Also repack your silencer to gain top performance from your engine. Another item I will swear by is a JD jet kit, it makes the jettng process a breeze and will make your motor run better than you could ever imagine along with picking a premix and ratio and sticking to it. Using different oils and ratios can throw jetting off and the motor will suffer.

One more item that is quite convenient is an hour meter. Its nice to know how much run time are on the moving parts and helps when time comes to consider a top end, I put 50 hours on my top ends in my 250s but I ride mine hard on the track and rev the thing quite a bit but most will go around 100 hrs on a top end if not more.

Sorry for the long post but tryed to cover all bases, hopefully it all makes sense. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Ive used alot of other forums and I dont believe any have the knowledge base of the guys on this forum. They will help you through any problems you may have. Also dont forget to use the search feature before posting questions, it gets under some ppls skin when people repost questions that have been answered a million times and utilize the honda 2 stroke forum, those guys know the ins and outs of the red machines.

^^ AWESOME INFO!!!! Thank you so much.. I'm making a list as I go of this stuff to post in my garage. lol. again thank you for taking the time to type that out.. What do you use to clean our your carb? any type of carb cleaner or something specific? Also seeing alot of talk about "reeds", not sure what that is, although when I get my owners manual im sure it'll tell me. Lol

On cleaning the carb I just use carb and choke cleaner it works fine, it does not matter what brand. Also be sure to check your swingarm bearings and all the other bearing such as front and rear wheel.