Sign in to follow this  

AF conversion Time!

Hey everyone,

I'm back again planning to do a another frame swap. A while ago I put a 79' rm 125 engine in a 07' frame and it came out perfect. Now what I'm looking to is take a 1990 RM 250 that maybe I can get for $500 and turn it into a 2009 RM250AF bike. Any suggestions? Maybe use the RMZ450 frame rather than the RMZ250? I forgot to mention that the 1990 is a complete running bike, that is pretty cheap. Let me know what you guys think this time around. :thumbsup:

I am one of those fabricator freaks myself. The only suggestion I have is to try and find a new model donor bike so parts will be more available to expand on your dream. It would also make a difference in resale value.

Seems like going a step backwards to put such a old motor in a newer frame. I'd want 04+ motor if I was doing a AF swap.

Recently found a 98' RM250 for $500. Fully working about 10 mins down the road. with that price you cant go wrong.

Is this going to be an MX bike, woods, play bike? 03 and up was the best 2 fiddy they ever did but it's not like you can't pull power out of a 98. Do it..... do it. My old 88 cr250 is still violently powerful. Just had to work it a little to get there.

It's going to be a mix of MX and Trailbike use. I'll be going to local tracks and actually riding but in my own back yard Ill be using it as a trail bike. But $500 for a complete 1998 RM250 is still a really good price.

So a while back I bought the wrong parts on accident so how much do you guys think I could get for a 98' rm 125/250 sub frame, shock linkage and swing arm if I scraped them cause they just won't sell.

The sub frame is the most damaged part and on e-bay they go for $75 to $150. I gave $21 for my 03 RM250 swingarm and linkage with new bearing off e-bay, but no one bid against me. Most the time they run about $50 to $150. If the parts was mine I would cut a TT RM brother a deal and help them out.

The sub frame is the most damaged part and on e-bay they go for $75 to $150. I gave $21 for my 03 RM250 swingarm and linkage with new bearing off e-bay, but no one bid against me. Most the time they run about $50 to $150. If the parts was mine I would cut a TT RM brother a deal and help them out.

Well if you run across any member needing 98' parts send them my way!:thumbsup:

A while ago I put a 79' rm 125 engine in a 07' frame and it came out perfect.

off topic: I never saw the final product

so it rode?

off topic: I never saw the final product

so it rode?

Yep it rode. It did quite a bit more than just riding too. I was impressed. I'll post some pics here a little later

Keep your eyes open for a bit. I got a running 03 RM 250 for $800.

Now I'm disappointed you don't live in northern Illinois. haha

i would suggest a cr500 engine in that rmz450 frame. maybe thats too much power for your liking :thumbsup:

i would suggest a cr500 engine in that rmz450 frame. maybe thats too much power for your liking :thumbsup:

And WAY past my budget too haha

I just wish I could put together a 05-08 RM 250 motor in a current RMZ frame. I think it would be a cool look and still good handling.

Why cant one of you fabricator junkies live close to me ....

yeah dude get at least a 2000+ motor... 1990s engines way less performance than 2000s