Sign in to follow this  

New to owning a bike

So I FINALLY got myself a bike. Ended up getting a 96 CR250 in pretty good shape for a really good price. I'm new to owning a bike, especially a 2-stroke cause I know nothing about them. So I was wondering what things I can do (myself without a shop) to keep it in tip top shape for as long as possible. I work on my truck off and on so I have a basic knowledge of engines, its just the 2-stroke thing that wigs me out. lol

2 strokes are easier. For specific engine stuff, tear apart the top end and inspect the piston and rings. Also, change the gear oil every so often. Some small things too, like make sure you give your bike a shake before riding so it mixes the fuel in the tank since the oil sinks to the bottom.

tons of info on this site, often will save you time to do a "search".. tips for searching is don't be too specific with how you word the search, and try different word combos to generate more threads that match what your looking for.

buy a manual.. learning to do some work yourself as you know working on your truck, will save you lots of money. 2t is easier to work on than a 4t so you have that going for you.

I would be scared to tear into it. lol. Ill def do that shake thing though. Good to know thank You.. I always see that people do new top and bottom's with the 2 strokes. This bike I have I dont think has ever had that done. When or how can I tell if I should get that done. Or should I should just go with "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT" rule?

tons of info on this site, often will save you time to do a "search".. tips for searching is don't be too specific with how you word the search, and try different word combos to generate more threads that match what your looking for.

buy a manual.. learning to do some work yourself as you know working on your truck, will save you lots of money. 2t is easier to work on than a 4t so you have that going for you.

ya I was poking around in the search bar and found some stuff. Is there a certain type of manual that's the best cause I know some are different.

1. Get a manual

2. Don't let a woman get on it and pin it while she drops the clutch. Though it is entertaining to watch, these poor bikes are feeling the pain. Not a slight towards women, there just see to be a ton of videos showcasing their wheelie manuevers.

I would run through all the bearings to make sure that they are good. If someone neglects, say, the swingarm bearings, they will get stuck (rust) and the shock rod will actually bend. Check your cables and replace if needed. Look for any fraying. I would replace all fluids, including the fork oil. Check the brakes, brake pads. Torque everything to proper specs. Pull the carb and clean it. Jet it if needed.

The two stroke engine is so much easier to work on than a four stroke. Take your time and learn as you go.

Don't buy a new piston until you have removed the old one. The cylinder needs to be checked and measured to ensure it hasn't been sleeved and bored out.

2. Don't let a woman get on it and pin it while she drops the clutch. Though it is entertaining to watch.

Women? How about your brother!

Don't let a woman get on it and pin it while she drops the clutch. Though it is entertaining to watch, these poor bikes are feeling the pain. Not a slight towards women, there just see to be a ton of videos showcasing their wheelie manuevers.

This just made my morning. LOL!!!! Ive seen someone do this with a street bike. They actually sat down, rev'd it up, dumped the clutch, and lost control and bounced it off the front of a parked truck. :thumbsup: it was tragic but couldnt help but laugh.. Great info though thank you very much.

Go down to CDA Honda on Seltice. Great guys down there. If you need parts or an owners manual talk to Jason or Larry. I live in CDA as well, was planning to go down to Honda today around noon. I need to get a spark arrested silencer for the new bike. Red Dodge w KTM stickers on it

oh snap. Right on. we should link up and go riding. I dont really know the good local riding spots. CDA honda huh? K I was going to go to Motion Sports but ill go there instead. Where do you normally ride up here?

We have some great trails here ! Right now the only snow free places are Canfield, Liberty Lake ORV, and McCrosky park. There are much better places to ride though if the damn snow ever melts. Get on the Panhandle Trail Riders Association's (PANTRA) website. If your'e new to riding they host a lot of beginner rides and it would be a great way to meet good people.

We have some great trails here ! Right now the only snow free places are Canfield, Liberty Lake ORV, and McCrosky park. There are much better places to ride though if the damn snow ever melts. Get on the Panhandle Trail Riders Association's (PANTRA) website. If your'e new to riding they host a lot of beginner rides and it would be a great way to meet good people.

Liberty Lake has an ORV park? Sweet!!! Did not know that.. Been up canfield once and to 7 mile once and thats it. Awesome thank you so much for the info. If I see ya up there ill buy ya a beer sometime. Lol.

pretty sure PANTRA will be riding at McCrosky park this coming sunday. they will separate into a few groups by skill level. if the wife wants to ride this weekend that where I'll be too. if she doesnt want to ride, I wont know untill later tonight where I'll be riding on sunday. So what is your riding ability ? I dont want to take you somewhere and get ya hurt, I normally ride some pretty nasty stuff

pretty sure PANTRA will be riding at McCrosky park this coming sunday. they will separate into a few groups by skill level. if the wife wants to ride this weekend that where I'll be too. if she doesnt want to ride, I wont know untill later tonight where I'll be riding on sunday. So what is your riding ability ? I dont want to take you somewhere and get ya hurt, I normally ride some pretty nasty stuff

Nice. Ill be up at the big mudbogg event in Moyie Springs this weekend to play with my truck. As far as riding abillity, well its been a long time since I've owned a bike so ill probably be taking it kinda easy for a trip or 2. lol. But ill probably go up Canfield on Monday as I have the day off (to recuperate from the boggs). =)

Edited by sneek24