Sign in to follow this  

California Puites Saturday 7th.

I'll likely dual-sport up from Palmdale. I can meet you at Jawbone or up toward the mountain.

The recent reports are calling for snow on the higher trails. I know enough of the lower trails to get a good work out.

Bike and rider in good shape and prepared for technical single track.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll give you more details.

Xr650

riding2007186.jpg

I have been wanting to hit the Piutes but in the higher elevations will this loop be going to Brown Meadows?

I have been wanting to hit the Piutes but in the higher elevations will this loop be going to Brown Meadows?

Higher elevations still a no-go. Too much snow on the north faces with creeks and drainages still running very high. Much trail damage and fallen trees from 2008 fire. Recommend staying on the lower stuff for a few more weeks ... unless you want to carry a chainsaw and help out with badly needed trail maintenance.

:thumbsup:

Brown Meadows sounds familiar but I'm not positive. I'll ride all the single track I know, as long as it's snow free.

Where is Puites located?

5 hours north of LA, long drive over Walker Pass or extremely rough, washed-out dirt roads with severe switchbacks overland from the 14 north of California City. Not a good location for a day trip, need two or more days to make it really worthwhile. Difficult trails and no maps mean high possibility of getting lost unless you have a guide. Not for novice/beginners, some intermediates/advanced also do not enjoy due to ugliness of terrain. Motocross bikes with high gearing not recommended. Have a well-set-up trail bike, be prepared and in shape.

NO QUADS. Zero to very few opportunities for the wider tracks. Mostly FS roads only and they're illegal there. Only one decent staging area at Landers Meadow and they discourage zipping around the campground on 4-wheelers.

Not sure of the miles, but it will beat the crap out of your truck driving back through that way (best to be less than a 1 ton) It usually takes me 60+ mins to drive back in there in my 1 ton dually just because of all the washboard. Once you get to Kelso Valley Rd it's about 7.5 miles to the Piute Mtn rd and as he said it's full of switch backs:lol: and that will be about 17 miles.

Like he said, if your going to drive back in there, do an over night at least and have someone with you that knows the area. Lots of unaware riders get lost and or stuck in places they can't get out of. Oh, and thanks to those great folks that do things to make it better for all of us.......you have to be plated to ride from Jawbone/Dove Springs into the Piutes:foul:

Could the drive be done in a 2WD Tundra with some nicer suspension/lift and dirt tires? Sounds like a great spot to pitch up the truck bed tent that I have not used nearly as much as I'd like.

Singletrack and gnarlies are good too..

SB:

Absolutely. Just be patient on Jawbone Cyn Rd and Piute Mtn Rd. Camp at Landers and you are at ground zero.

My son and I do day trips in his Tacoma from Acton during the summer.

how many miles if we start from jawbone store?

When I stage from Jawbone Canyon Station, it's about 140-160 miles for the day. I have a 5 gallon tank and I carry an additional gallon in an anti freeze bottle. That gets me up there and back.

From Jawbone, it's about 42 miles to the the start of the single track(1/2 of this is fireroad).

Could the drive be done in a 2WD Tundra with some nicer suspension/lift and dirt tires? Sounds like a great spot to pitch up the truck bed tent that I have not used nearly as much as I'd like.

Singletrack and gnarlies are good too..

That would be the perfect vehicle to drive in back there:thumbsup:

Oh and the singletrack is just that:banana:

SB:

Absolutely. Just be patient on Jawbone Cyn Rd and Piute Mtn Rd. Camp at Landers and you are at ground zero.

My son and I do day trips in his Tacoma from Acton during the summer.

Day trips are cool if you can drive in and out and not have to crawl like I do, the Tacoma probably cruises in on the clapped out Jawbone Cyn Rd.....where as my 1ton dually wants to dance all the way:foul:

That's why I like making it an overnighter so I don't have to do that twice in one day:thumbsup:

I have driven that road from Jawbone to Kelso to Isabella many times, Twice in a

blizzard snow storm, I have no problem with it,

Also have trucked bike up to Landers from Jawbone side a few times, What am

I missing? Are off roaders skeered of a widow bumpy woad?:confused::thumbsup::worthy:

You don't have to go up from the desert side. The way up from Walker basin cuts out most of the washboard. It doesn't save any time though. It's a long drive up there no matter what way up go.

There is no 100% green sticker legal way up from Jawbone. You have to hit about 1/3 or so of a mile of pavement on Kelso road to transition from SC120 to SC431 (Bright Star). The roads are all plated only. They will cite you if they catch you.

Take what Bolt said seriously. I never had any kind or trail guide until last fall. I got in way over my head and have been lost on several occasions. Big tanks are a good thing.

I can't wait to go back.

to transition from SC120 to SC431 (Bright Star). The roads are all plated only. They will cite you if they catch you.

And the locals will mislead you and send you into the quicksand - deliberately. The last time I was there they had also put up "no trespassing" signs on the legal connector.

We were forewarned though and paid no attention. :confused::smirk::worthy: I waved to the guy who's property abuts who was giving us the stink eye as we blasted thru the no trespassing signs. heh heh :busted::moon:

Hey, anybody been up brightstar lately? I heard they completely removed the squid filter. Is that true? Man, that hill was fun. :thumbsup::banana:

And the locals will mislead you and send you into the quicksand - deliberately. The last time I was there they had also put up "no trespassing" signs on the legal connector.

We were forewarned though and paid no attention. :confused::smirk::worthy: I waved to the guy who's property abuts who was giving us the stink eye as we blasted thru the no trespassing signs. heh heh :busted::moon:

Hey, anybody been up brightstar lately? I heard they completely removed the squid filter. Is that true? Man, that hill was fun. :thumbsup::banana:

There have been those no trespassing signs ever since I've hit that trail and stink eye every time people were about.

I've also heard that some switchbacks were installed at that hill. The last time I was up it before the fire it had deteriorated into a nasty set of giant ruts. It had become a true squid filter.

Washboard roads are nothing in that truck the way I have it set up. The faster the smoother.

Tied up this weekend with mothers day stuff and moving, but I'm game for some action up there if someone wants to play tour guide. I'll supply brews for some local knowledge.

BobC...do you ride with David Bell?